Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
21,404 Posts
Re: Murray: 'If I play my best tennis, I'm going to win Wimbledon'

Murray is in his absolute prime meanwhile the old man... plus OP is manipulating Murray's words

Anyway, both have a joke draw until SF
Doesn't really matter the age because Murray hasn't been that impressive this year anyway, Federer's result this year are arguably better than Murray so far.

If this type of mentality works for them, then it's fine imo. Each player has a type of mentality that works for them so I don't really have a problem with it.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts

Reading comprehension fail that is not what he said, but the the title is right anyway. Plays his best tennis he wins.
A position to win means that due his joke draw if he plays at his best level he should reach at least SF, the position that every player needs to be in order to try to win. And yes, I think he is right on this.

·
23,078 Posts

I agree that the title is quite misleading IMO as it was not the exact thing and the tone of how he said it was very different. That being said, I kind of agree now that "in a position" could be interpreted as "I will" because he didn't say "in a possible position", in which it could be interpreted as "If I play my best tennis the cards would line up" to win Wimbledon. I think his tone is just not the same as the title implies though.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

It's not the same thing. Cutting the bit you cut changes the tone substantially.

Even if you do think it means the same, quotation marks should only be used for a direct quote. That's the point of quotation marks.

Simply changing his words to something shorter with a different meaning makes your title misleading. The inclusion of quotation marks makes it a lie.
Stop Whining now. Dave Quoted what Andy said in Op, stop lame attempts to derail the thread to protect your hero aka husband fan girl. :devil:

·
Registered
5,096 Posts

The thing is, even as I'm concerned for Murray's chances as a repeat, I still can't think of another legitimate option for the title. Wanting to say Nadal despite two straight years of bombing out, which is bizarre.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts

Too bad Andy will suffer an injury after every point he loses this tournament.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts

Murray unbeatable on the lawns

Real tennis incoming

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

honestly based on his season so far (which I know has been warranted with the back and all) I would not be surprised if he gets upset easily

on clay, although I feel weird saying this, he at least had the advantage mentally of knowing that he could run a long time if his opponent was playing better than him (cough Kohlschreiber) but at Wimbledon he will get shut out quickly if some random player is in form

Murray has been unconvincing thus far this season. should have played a warm up event; oh wait- he did and lost to Radek Stepanek, an extremely good looking OLD man of a tennis player :eek: ;)

mega concerning

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

I guess English is not the first language of the op, what Andy actually said is the truth, He is not deluding himself like some other clown. Whether his best tennis is enough to beat a fit Novak in the sf, we will see.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts

And people like to criticize Federer for having this attitude :lol:
Murray hasn't this attitude. Compare the title of the thread with what was actually said in the opening post. To say he hopes to be in a position to win is not the same thing as saying he is going to win it.

Mods - can't you change the titles of threads like this?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts

Who cares about the thread title? If you are a pleb who only reads headlines and doesn't bother to check the article for context, you deserve to be misled. There is no essential difference between the paraphrase in the thread title and the actual quote, anyway.
Oh, yes there is! Where did you go to school?

I'm not a pleb who only reads headlines, but many on this site are, as you can see from some of the replies. As to not being able to fit the whole quote into the title, how about something like: Murray: If I play my best tennis, I could win? Fewer characters than the title used, without altering the meaning.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts

Murray states the truth but if he mugs it up he could go down in flames anytime.

·
Registered
33,357 Posts

honestly based on his season so far (which I know has been warranted with the back and all) I would not be surprised if he gets upset easily

on clay, although I feel weird saying this, he at least had the advantage mentally of knowing that he could run a long time if his opponent was playing better than him (cough Kohlschreiber) but at Wimbledon he will get shut out quickly if some random player is in form

Murray has been unconvincing thus far this season. should have played a warm up event; oh wait- he did and lost to Radek Stepanek, an extremely good looking OLD man of a tennis player :eek: ;)

mega concerning
No one gives a shit about grass warm ups.

Murray lost early.

Nadal lost early.

Djokovic didn't play.

Feddy pink only plays them because he sucks at slams these days and needs to vulture something.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts

I think we should ban OP's who put a title in quotes from a player when it is not, in fact, a quote from that player.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

I think we should ban OP's who put a title in quotes from a player when it is not, in fact, a quote from that player.
Yeah, also ban Wimbledon.

Wimbledon @Wimbledon · 23m
Murray: "I'm here to win this tournament."

·
Registered
28,794 Posts

Another non-thread with an uncontroversial quote (even if Murray DID say that). What is it with GM these days

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts

What a misleading title. Makes Murray seem arrogant, but his comments aren't arrogant at all.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts