Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think its pretty clear Murray has his game largely back but it is also clear that his fitness isn't up to his usual standards. Clearly this means he has very little chances vs. Nadal unless he somehow steamrollers him in straights. Your thoughs?

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
"injured back" Nadal will either straight set him or win in 4.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I think its pretty clear Murray has his game largely back but it is also clear that his fitness isn't up to his usual standards. Clearly this means he has very little chances vs. Nadal unless he somehow steamrollers him in straights. Your thoughs?
Good luck with that. Wake me up when Murray reaches a claycourt final. Anywhere.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Can't argue with that. It's worrying that he seemed to be tiring very obviously in the fourth set, and Rafa will know that.

If Murray is to take a set from Nadal, it will need to be the first one. I'd like him to take a set, but I can't see him winning.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Can't argue with that. It's worrying that he seemed to be tiring very obviously in the fourth set, and Rafa will know that.

If Murray is to take a set from Nadal, it will need to be the first one. I'd like him to take a set, but I can't see him winning.
Strategic tiredness. Nobody believes that.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
With Rafa's powder puff serve, Andy will have chances to break. That being sad, Andy seems to only put together 2.5 sets of good tennis before having a lull in his game, and against Nadal that means he'll have to go 2 sets up, tank the 3rd and try and nick the 4th if he wants to have a chance of beating Nadal at RG (with his current fitness levels, he's not outlasting Rafa).

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I know it's only Emerson clowning (which I love), but surely people will stop with this 'never reached a clay final' crap? Two RG SFs, and people whine about him never having won Bucharest or wherever, lol.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
Exactly. His fitness and stamina have hampered him, he can't last too long with Rafa- he couldn't really do it in Rome even thought it was best of three, just crapped out at the end, so he can't do it here. But he's already done enough for me :yeah:

·
Registered
10,407 Posts
His match today wasn't that much longer than Nadal's, and he didn't expend much energy in the last set. He'll obviously be more fatigued than Nadal but he should be able to keep it competitive.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Then why did Murray try to get the match stopped at the end of the 4th set?

French organisers made them play on because Monfils had the momentum :haha:
He actually said he wasn't trying to get the match stopped in his Eurosport interview. He said he just asked how long they would play on for and he also asked why the referee had come up to him and not Monfils since he thought that made it look unfairly like he was requesting to see the referee when he wasn't.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
He must win first 2 sets to have any business. Then he should probably tank 3rd and just try to tire Nadal to finish it in 4th. If this is the 2nd match, then this might go to night break.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
There is a reason why Murray has played passive at times, and yes i can see why people have considered his playstyle as boring, but it's due to necessity.

“The way I’m hitting my backhand now is 10 times better than it was last year, and moving to that side as well is so much better than it was,” Murray said. “There were periods this year when I had problems but that is to be expected with surgery and it’s starting to get better slowly. I’m close to being back to 100%. That’s exciting for me, especially at this stage of the year with a big few weeks around the corner.”

He added: “I was in a lot of pain for a long time. Daily. It’s frustrating, tiring. You go through a lot of different emotions. At times it can make you very angry because I normally enjoy all the training that goes with it but there were periods when it would become difficult.

“I’d try to play aggresive and it would hurt, so I’d have to ease off and I couldn’t get myself into the shape I wanted to be in. Hopefully now I’m over the worst and, so long as I keep monitoring it and doing all the right things with it, I’ll be fine."

I personally think it's exciting to see him play more freely now, and long may it continue

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
I know it's only Emerson clowning (which I love), but surely people will stop with this 'never reached a clay final' crap? Two RG SFs, and people whine about him never having won Bucharest or wherever, lol.
Horacio Zeballos won Vina Del Mar. Therefore, he is ten times the player Murray is on clay. It's time we accepted undeniable facts such as these..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts