Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is he? the greatest lober the game has seen.. he does it so nice, its like a piece of art.. ive never seen a player with that kind of lob.. and its very consistent and effecient.. countless times puts him out of trouble.

Discuss.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I don't know about the greatest lobber of all time, because I've not seen enough historical lobs, but he's easily the top lobber (sounds like some kind of innuendo) on the tour right now. His lobs are a thing of beauty, and it has reached the point where I'm disappointed if we don't get at least one in each of his matches, repeated Matrix style in the replays.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,585 Posts
Definitely a very sound lob from various positions, and surprise as well. I remember him lobbing Karlovic few times in a row in their Wimbledon match and today hurt Tsonga with it a lot, particularly the FH, but BH lob is very consistent and not overplayed either

The other contender is of course Hewitt

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just because someone has a good shot in the year 2015, it DOES NOT mean that it must be the GOAT shot. Hyperbole on MTF is ridiculous.

Gulbis has a couple of good matches and he has the greatest 2 hander in history, Stan wins RG and has the greatest 1 hander blah blah. Tennis history started in the 1800's, just sayin'.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Don't think there is enough data to say it's the greatest of all time. But he uses it more frequently than the other players, and it's obviously a shot he's confident playing and yes it is aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Just because someone has a good shot in the year 2015, it DOES NOT mean that it must be the GOAT shot. Hyperbole on MTF is ridiculous.

Gulbis has a couple of good matches and he has the greatest 2 hander in history, Stan wins RG and has the greatest 1 hander blah blah. Tennis history started in the 1800's, just sayin'.
Murray has had a consistently good lob though.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
So all Murray needs to do to beat Lo1e is to lob him to death. Either he succeeds or he can count on Djokovic's famous overheads

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Is he? the greatest lober the game has seen.. he does it so nice, its like a piece of art.. ive never seen a player with that kind of lob.. and its very consistent and effecient.. countless times puts him out of trouble.

Discuss.
Of all time? I don't know, I've started watching tennis only at the end of '80s. :shrug:

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,427 Posts
Andy and Hewitt (prime) are definitely up there in the top 5 at the very least, likely the top 2 actually. Andy does have the best of any current player though, by a hilariously large margin and I'd put him just ahead of Hewitt overall.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
This.

Every time we have a poll with a "best XYZ of all time" (XYZ can be any segment of the tennis game) the candidates are Novak, Fed, Rafa, Andy and a random player of the 21st century. Like tennis wasn't played in the past millennium. :eek:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Andy and Hewitt (prime) are definitely up there in the top 5 at the very least, likely the top 2 actually. Andy does have the best of any current player though, by a hilariously large margin and I'd put him just ahead of Hewitt overall.
There's someone who wrote a tennis book who listed Murray and Hewitt in the top 5 lobs. I think he may have had Hewitt as #1, with Murray lower, but Murray's lobs have got better since then, or at least he's done a lot more really good ones to justify an upgrade to his own score.

Most top players will be able to produce an impressive lob from time to time, and sometimes it's done in desperation and they get lucky and it looks spectacular. Murray's lobs are frequent enough to know they aren't flukes, and are part of his overall tactics. He doesn't just produce a good lob from time to time, he creates situations where a lob will work, and manages to disguise them well.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
No way, i remember when i started watching and playing tennis in the mid 80s, lob was actually a legitimate weapon that was used and trained by most. That of course made sense because net players were everywhere at that time and rackets where not that powerful so passing shots where not as effective as they are today.

So i remember many players having mastered this shot as i am sure i missed many great lobbers from earlier generations.

One that was entertaining and effective was Santoro who hit it with less spin than Murray, Hewitt or Nalbandian but he used to lob people from every part of the court and not just the baseline.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Murray's is certainly up there....a very reliable depth and great disguise. Peak Fed had a great lob on the bh side (slice lob too! ;) ). Nishikori has one of the best current lobs....amazing disguise and ability to hit it off balance.

Nadal has a great lob too.....oh no wait....that is just his normal forehand! ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Connors has the best lob of all time. Hewitt is probably second. Murray is up there too. Federer has the best one handed backhand lob.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Hewitt owned the topspin lob in a time where guys came in frequently. I would give him the nod over Murray.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
[chico]Of course, why is this even a question? Delusional hate from fakerdullerertards.[/chico]

Nah, he will hit a few great ones in a match but he'll also make a mess of lots as well resulting in a easy put away.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Don't think there is enough data to say it's the greatest of all time. But he uses it more frequently than the other players, and it's obviously a shot he's confident playing and yes it is aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
Ive been watching tennis for 40 years. Murray has turned the lob into a trusty weapon more than anyone I've seen.

Arise Sir LOBRAY...:worship:

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Djokovic's is better than Murray's.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts