Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Andy Murray claims he is in better physical shape entering this year's Wimbledon than he was during his title run at the Championships a year ago.

The defending champion said that he was now "moving well" on grass, having practiced on the surface following his second-round exit at Queen's.

"I’ve practiced with [Jo-Wilfried] Tsonga and [Grigor] Dimitrov, then obviously had a good match here," Murray said at Stoke Park. "I’ve spent a lot of time on the courts and I’m feeling good."

At Queen's, Murray pointed out that his best performances on grass have been during longer periods of play on the surface, like his 2012 grass-court season, which included reaching the Wimbledon final and winning the Olympics. He also had more time to prepare a year ago after withdrawing from the French Open with a back injury.

The 27-year-old underwent surgery following the U.S. Open and says there has been an improvement in his condition.

"Now I’m just happy to not have to worry about it on a daily basis," Murray said. "It’s something I have to always monitor throughout my career and look after but I’m not waking up in the morning worrying about how I’m going to feel. That was the case for a while before surgery."

Murray, who snapped a 77-year British drought in the Wimbledon men's singles with his victory, is the third seed at this year's Championships.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
I wish I believed him.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Off course he's pain free now, back problems troubled him for 18 months before he gone through surgery. He's healthy but that doesn't mean that he can beat anybody. Obviously he can play better than last year but there is no guarantee that he'll win again as there are lot of players who can out play Murray on grass also. But if draw opens for him again (2nd time lucky) he's huge favourite regardless of his level of play.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
He tanked Queens. There were some nasty falls from alot of players. He just didnt wanna risk it.

I still say hes the favorite, Not Nole and not Rafa. Fed? Lets see how far he goes.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I appreciate Murray's sportsmanship in this this year also in back period when he had back pains. He fought both times but never complained or found excuse for losses this year.
Nadal needs to take some lesson from Scott I believe.

Can you even imagine how many times Nadal and Phony would've whined if he had Real injury like Murray and frequent losses?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
With all that money he still hasn't fixed his teeth
He wants to perpetuate the stereotype of Brits with bad teeth. Disgusting !

As for feeling stronger - he probably does after reaching SF on RG but I fear that he has changed his game too much away from grass to be a factor at SW19.

He is simply not a top player in the league of Nole and Nadal to switch surfaces in an instant

1 - 16 of 16 Posts