Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
The special one
14,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would've said the us open but seeing how much winning the davis cup meant to him yesterday and he seems to be on a mission, if he had the choise this year us open or davis cup which would he choose? He won us open in 2012 and might not get many more chaces at dv, thoughts?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If he could be sure of getting Davis Cup, then I think he might prefer that, because he could share it with his brother and friends, not forgetting his childhood coach, and would give a boost to all of them. However, I don't think he'd prioritise Davis Cup over US Open in his training and scheduling. That would be way too risky.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
:haha: :haha: :haha:

You cannot be serious.

Obviously he would much rather win the USO, Davis cup is really nice but no match for winning the open.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Unfortunately he will not be able to win the DC or USO, tHE Brit team is funda-mentally weak apart from murrie, and Djockobrick is too solid.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Davis Cup :spit:

DC has become a disgrace, in merit and as a competition. They need to change the format ASAP.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
It will make very little difference to Murray's 'legacy' if he wins a third slam (or even a fourth or fifth)
He will never be in the top tier of all time greats, perhaps not even second tier. but he has an Olympic gold, so if he could be part of a Davis Cup winning team he would join a very exclusive club!
Can't see it happening, but who knows?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Gimme the davis cup because I'm actually British so it would be a huge thing for the nation to win the DC

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Why not both ?

·
Registered
15,791 Posts

·
29,645 Posts
Davis Cup

I'd have said USO only if world #1 was a possibility. After Novak took Wimbledon, it no longer is.

·
Registered
8,378 Posts
Murray will either win USO or tank for Davis cup.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Davis cup would mean much more to Andy, don't think he cares about slams anymore :( , increased vulturing and too happy to donate slams to his pal Novak

·
24,387 Posts
If he really has to choose one, I would rather than him have DC because of the history it could entail and really distance him as one of the best British tennis players of all time, and would add to the Big Four legacy of having each of them having DC (and also makes all current multislam winners have it -- I think Fed, Djokovic, Nadal, Hewitt and Wawrinka have it all now). I would rather him focus on AO before USO, though. If you also believe patterns in USO he's less likely to win it and we might have another winner one way or another. Of course for him the most preferable is win both which is still possible of course.

P.S. Also Andy being able to win it without a Top 20 player teammate should be fun, more fun if Ward does win some of his singles rubbers too, which is possible as shown many times, even it is going to be a big challenge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Davis Cup

I'd have said USO only if world #1 was a possibility. After Novak took Wimbledon, it no longer is.
It was a very slim possibility. It is difficult to move to number one when you're only number three in the world. Hopefully he puts a sustained effort into bridging the gap to Djokovic if he reaches number two.

As for what would be better for him, I would definitely want him taking a third slam. His career really deserves to be more elevated than Wawrinka, and moving a slam ahead of him would emphasise this.

Personally I think he'd love the Davis cup to share with Ward and his brother. Ward put in a lot of hard work when Murray didn't want to play because of how low GB had sunk.

·
29,645 Posts
It was a very slim possibility. It is difficult to move to number one when you're only number three in the world. Hopefully he puts a sustained effort into bridging the gap to Djokovic if he reaches number two.

As for what would be better for him, I would definitely want him taking a third slam. His career really deserves to be more elevated than Wawrinka, and moving a slam ahead of him would emphasise this.

Personally I think he'd love the Davis cup to share with Ward and his brother. Ward put in a lot of hard work when Murray didn't want to play because of how low GB had sunk.
That was mainly because he wanted those guys to actually get some experience in that kind of situation- playing with it all on the line in front of home and away crowds, and they did that- Ward and Evans in particular.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts