Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murray played Djokovic 5 times here and lost all(4 of them in final). The closest he ever came to a win was 2012 SF.

Thiem has a very good chance of pulling off an epic upset on Sunday.

How bad would it hurt to see Thiem winning AO before Murray?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
It wouldn't hurt at all. I want him to win.

Murray not winning the AO is the biggest disappointment of his career, but that doesn't mean it's somehow terrible to see anyone else win it. Plenty of people will win it in the future - can't resent them all! Would've loved to see Sascha win it as well.

It's far more annoying that this is an era of players going way into their 30s, yet Andy was basically finished before he even turned 30. Looking back, considering previous injuries and a lost year due to recovery in 2014, he had such limited time after winning that elusive first slam in late 2012.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Murray won Wimbledon twice and the Olympic gold in singles twice and was #1 in singles. Thiem has got to accomplish a lot more in his career for anyone to be jealous of him over Murray. Right now, all he has over Murray are his good looks and personality, which is cool and all, but

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
It wouldn't hurt at all. I want him to win.

Murray not winning the AO is the biggest disappointment of his career, but that doesn't mean it's somehow terrible to see anyone else win it. Plenty of people will win it in the future - can't resent them all! Would've loved to see Sascha win it as well.

It's far more annoying that this is an era of players going way into their 30s, yet Andy was basically finished before he even turned 30. Looking back, considering previous injuries and a lost year due to recovery in 2014, he had such limited time after winning that elusive first slam in late 2012.
Andy Murray had plenty of time to win slams, as he was mostly injury free from the age of 20, despite playing his pushing game style.

Compare that to the likes of Marat Safin, who won 2 slams almost before the age of 25, but was injured throughout 2001, 2003 was a write-off and was then injured 2 months after winning the Australian Open in 2005 with an injury which was effectively career-ending. This player had the cojones to beat two players who were considered greatest of all time and didn't need 1000x opportunities to win the biggest events, essentially waiting on a hurricane at the 2012 US Open, only a useless Novak Djokovic standing in his way at 2013 Wimbledon and then the Goliath Milos Raonic in 2016 at Wimbledon.

Then you can compare him to more extreme cases who were destined to win big titles like Joachim Johansson or Kent Carlsson.

The fact is Andy Murray had ample time. He had 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, most of 2013, most of 2014, 2015, 2016, half of 2017.

Maybe if Andy Murray had the cojones Stanislas Wawrinka has, then he wouldn't have needed to wait on draws and players crumbling to win slams, and he may have ended up winning more. At least the latter will be known for 3 scintillating, memorable slam wins, whereby he delivered blockbuster tennis.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Very good. Thiem seems pretty likeable and by winning he would be denying Djokovic and his disgusting legion of tards. What’s not to like?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Dom wished him good luck for his wedding at the end of one of their matches so Murray wouldn't be unhappy at all.

He knows exactly what Thiem will be going through tomorrow, mid 20s, already lost 2 slam finals and probably going to lose another.

·
23,538 Posts
Yesterday I was thinking "what is the reason for this, just to ask another Big Four fanbase for their thoughts?", but then...yeah, Murray hasn't won AO yet, hasn't he? So yeah, nice to see some Murray fans be happy if Domi does win. It is time for the "younger" players to step in and just give them belief. I think it's also going to be interesting if someone could actually beat Djokovic in an AO Final.

·
Registered
21,782 Posts
I can completely understand if they resent Wawrio or other players from Murray’s generation but to have issues if Thiem a player of a completely different generation who has no rivalry with Murray at all, winning AO just because Murray didn’t achieve that? That would be insane. If there are fans that actually feel bad over this kind of situation, then they have real issues and need to seek help. Anyone sane wouldn’t think this way, it’s completely toxic and unhealthy. Imagine rooting against players from a completely new generation, past Murray’s time who is basically retired at this point, and not ever forming a rivalry with Murray to not win slams because Murray didn’t do it lol, would be too ridiculous really.

·
Registered
21,782 Posts
Maybe if Andy Murray had the cojones Stanislas Wawrinka has, then he wouldn't have needed to wait on draws and players crumbling to win slams, and he may have ended up winning more. At least the latter will be known for 3 scintillating, memorable slam wins, whereby he delivered blockbuster tennis.
Even for your low standards, this bit is just embarrassing rofl. I admit that Wawrinka’s RG 15 is his most impressive slam and more impressive than any of Murray slam wins, but still, this take can’t be taken seriously if you’re using players crumbling as an argument against the impressiveness of Murray’s slams and then using Wawrinka as an example to prove otherwise. When players crumbling is exactly what happened for Wawrinka in AO 14 and USO 16 when he had to face 2 injured opponents in slam finals. That’s pretty fortunate. At least with Murray he was always knocking on the door to eventually get some deserved luck.

·
justice for all
15,281 Posts
I can completely understand if they resent Wawrio or other players from Murray’s generation but to have issues if Thiem a player of a completely different generation who has no rivalry with Murray at all, winning AO just because Murray didn’t achieve that? That would be insane. If there are fans that actually feel bad over this kind of situation, then they have real issues and need to seek help. Anyone sane wouldn’t think this way, it’s completely toxic and unhealthy. Imagine rooting against players from a completely new generation, past Murray’s time who is basically retired at this point, and not ever forming a rivalry with Murray to not win slams because Murray didn’t do it lol, would be too ridiculous really.
I agree but it really happens for some people sometimes. E.g. there’s a certain Sampras fan here obssessed with Fed who is from a completely different generation (they faced only once). Insane stuff.

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,510 Posts
If Murray was part of this new wave he’d probably win a bunch more GS. However, he played the big 3 all in their primes, and not when they are visibly declining that today’s newer generation sees. You really think Thiem stands a chance against Nadal of his age? No way.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
If Murray was part of this new wave he’d probably win a bunch more GS. However, he played the big 3 all in their primes, and not when they are visibly declining that today’s newer generation sees. You really think Thiem stands a chance against Nadal of his age? No way.
Yes, not necessarily on a consistent basis but i could definitely see Thiem pulls a Soderling on Nadal.

I think people don't quite grab how good Thiem actually is.

·
Registered
16,919 Posts
Not bothered- I think of Murray as being basically retired at this point so I don't see it as someone winning AO 'before Murray' but rather after his time has passed.
Probably many Murray fans might think the same. He had his time, achieved what he achieved, now basically with zero chances to come back to win slams again.
Sadly this last big injury was basically career ending, in terms of big titles or even continuous playing through seasons.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts