Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From BBC Sport, today:

British number three Andy Murray sealed his place in the first round proper of the US Open with a straight-sets win over Ecuador's Giovanni Lapentti.
Murray blitzed Lapentti from the start to take the opening set 6-0.

But Murray's shoulder troubled him in the second set and he battle through the pain as it went to a tie-break.

Murray clinched the crucial mini-break to go 6-4 up in the breaker and completed his victory at the second attempt to win 6-0 7-6 (7-5).

It was Murray's third victory in qualifying after earlier wins over Paolo Lorenzi and Dudi Sela, and he now takes his place in the first round alongside fellow Britons Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Andy Murray qualifies for USO main draw

Nice one Andy, if his draw is favourable he can go quite far, he's a solid player, but he might struggle with long matches as his fitness is quite low.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Very solid run through the qualifying tournament. Now it's a question of which of his potential opponents would he rather face?

O. Rochus
Spadea
Ferrero
Gonzalez
Kevin Kim
Nalbandian
Pavel
Mathieu
Puerta
Haas

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Re: Andy Murray qualifies for USO main draw

I will FALL OVER if he gets the spot against Donald Young (he drew a qualifier didn't he).

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts

Fee said:
I will FALL OVER if he gets the spot against Donald Young (he drew a qualifier didn't he).
Yeah he did.

Good job Andy, all 3 matches in straight sets. All this after having a car crash when he arrived in NY!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

Andy did well to get through in straight sets all the way through and hopefully he can win a round or 2 in the main draw. Depends on the draw but he won't fear anyone. I'd like him to get Young. Could be interesting :devil:

·
Registered
45 Posts

He needs to draw someone in the half of the draw that plays Tuesday/Wednesday as he injured his shoulder again tonight.

What about drawing Scoville with the two Andy's meeting in the second round?

·
Registered
5,938 Posts

He's the next Federer. :scared:

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
It would be ironic if his troubled shoulder now prevented him from playing just as he got into the main draw
He's really proved himself-- also that he deserved a WC over so many others-- anyhow, here's wishing him the best

·
Registered
152 Posts
:woohoo:

·
Registered
5,394 Posts

I went to the qualifiers today to watch him play. I love his forehands on the run. But omg his drop shots were simply terrible. I dont think he even got one dropshot over the entire matchyet he kept trying to hit drop shots. Other than that he seems like a solid player. I even got the chance to take a picture with him :) Also saw a few other players like Malisse, Venus, Paradorn etc. at the practice courts. The Clement match was simply awesome. Especially the third set... It was so intense.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I saw that match today...he was a bit arugmentative w/ the umpire in the second set...nothing major -some misunderstanding when he went to serve and the ball girl fell chasing a ball.

BTW...I didn't know Nico Lapenti had a brother...he was at the match also.

pixs of Murray during the match

Attachments

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
onewoman74 said:
I saw that match today...he was a bit arugmentative w/ the umpire in the second set...nothing major -some misunderstanding when he went to serve and the ball girl fell chasing a ball.

BTW...I didn't know Nico Lapenti had a brother...he was at the match also.

pixs of Murray during the match
Damn I must've missed the ball girl falling while chasing the ball. I think I must've blinked. LOL

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Giovanni!! :bigcry: He's like, one of my recent faves, btw ;)

I'm glad he made it more of a match after that 0-6 start :sobbing: lmfao

But, good for Murray, I like him too :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts