3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts?

Serve - Isner/Krygios

Return- Both say each other.

Forehand- Delpo and Nadal.

Backhand- Djokovic/Murray

Volley- Federer

Strongest Mentality- Nadal (coming back from constant injuries)

Physical- Ferrer/Djokovic.

Discuss....

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I would say Stakhovsky has the better volley than Fed.

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
Federer’s forehand for sure, and Feds volley is the best out of current players but retired players like Sampras and McEnroe were definitely better. Idk if this is just for current players or not.

·
Registered
19,480 Posts
Federer’s forehand for sure, and Feds volley is the best out of current players but retired players like Sampras and McEnroe were definitely better. Idk if this is just for current players or not.
Should be current era (Ferrer is retired, but is from Fed's generation), so if you include any players that were born before 1980, that would be unfair both ways.

·
|
15,485 Posts
While Rafa is very good around the net and I think his volleys are underrated, Federer is just 2 levels above that.
Not according to McEnroe.
Also it should be noted that Federer has poor technique and doesn't bend his knees at times.
The other thing that favors Rafa is footwork, Rafa has the most meticulous footwork for every shot.
And I've never seen anyone take the pace off a bullet passing shot better than Rafa, the most perfect drop-volleys in the game.
Also in terms of cat-and-mouse play at the net I'd favor Rafa-

·
Registered
501 Posts
On this Instagram live, both chose what past result they would have changed.

Djokovic said any olympics and regreted the overhead against Nadal in Beijing

Murray said FO final against Djokovic

Today will have another Live between Djokovic and wawrinka

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
2 ATG’s barely giving the Swiss GOAT much attention is rather obvious. Assuming footwork included in ‘physical’ category but no Lob or Smash parameters makes me wonder if Novak didn’t want to embarrass himself adding the latter category even though i’m assuming it’s an optical/visual issue w/ him most likely.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Federer‘s Volley is shit. Even nadal‘s is better. Federer should be no. 1 in the physical/fitness section though. No retirement in 1500+ matches is really impressive.
Also Wawrinka‘s backhand is overrated. A flashy winner doesn’t make up for the 5 shanks that follow. It feels like no one has ever watched a full Wawrinka match and just seen random highlights on YouTube.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Agree that Wawa’s very streaky & more inconsistent now but before the FO SF a few years ago that took both him & Murray out of commission, he had a few years of near GOAThood including that BH.

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
Not according to McEnroe.
Also it should be noted that Federer has poor technique and doesn't bend his knees at times.
The other thing that favors Rafa is footwork, Rafa has the most meticulous footwork for every shot.
And I've never seen anyone take the pace off a bullet passing shot better than Rafa, the most perfect drop-volleys in the game.
Also in terms of cat-and-mouse play at the net I'd favor Rafa-
Federer might miss more but that’s cause he goes to the net a lot more and has lately come in behind some dogshit Roddick like approaches like the infamous one at 40-30. His volleys themselves are still at least top 3 on current tour if not the best but that’s not saying much cause players these days can’t volley worth a shit. McEnroe/Sampras would put everyone to shame at the net including Federer.

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
Federer‘s Volley is shit. Even nadal‘s is better. Federer should be no. 1 in the physical/fitness section though. No retirement in 1500+ matches is really impressive.
Also Wawrinka‘s backhand is overrated. A flashy winner doesn’t make up for the 5 shanks that follow. It feels like no one has ever watched a full Wawrinka match and just seen random highlights on YouTube.
Wawrinka's backhand when on is just flat out insane like in FO 15 but yeah it definitely isn’t as consistent as someone like Djokovic or Murray.

·
Registered
19,064 Posts
Pretty accurate and detailed explanations, to my surprise a bit.

Here's Murray on why Nadal tops Djokovic in mental strength:

I would say that, consistently, Rafa has been mentally the strongest. There's times where you would have been ahead of him but over an entire career, even from when he was very young, he's always been unbelievably strong mentally.

Even when he was 18, 19 years old, which is so rare for the guys coming through. That's normally the part that takes the longest.
spot on.

·
Registered
19,064 Posts

the article leaves out some of what was said.

I'm a bit confused by Novak mentioning Roger in the mental department after Rafa, but really solid stuff by both.

I just wish some players would mention some more undermentioned guys in the return departments. We know about Novak and Andy. Let me hear a shotout about someneone else.

Reactions: allpro and cpbdea

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
On this Instagram live, both chose what past result they would have changed.

Djokovic said any olympics and regreted the overhead against Nadal in Beijing

Murray said FO final against Djokovic

Today will have another Live between Djokovic and wawrinka
Interesting that he chose a French Open title instead of any Australian Open final (2015 comes to mind), maybe he wish he denied Novak Djokovic his sole slam title on clay :) on a serious note, probably because it would make him win a slam title on the 3 different surfaces.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts