Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without any trace of a chance in his last professional tour match. The end of a good but underachieving career. Terrible series of injuries in the last 3 years cut it short at the age of 33...

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Some will call him Almugro, some will say he choked, some will say he underachieved. But if the devil came to the crossroads and asked any < 14 y.o. junior if he wants to have Almagro-like career - I think the junior would sacrifice his soul to have it.

Good bye Almugro you choker and underachiever, I followed your career from the beginning till the end.

Epic last point and epic standing ovation in front of family and friends, you cannot end better.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
One of the most talented shotmakers of his generation. :sad:

But great final point, that's exactly how I would have ended my career as well. :yeah:

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Huh. I really don't like the guy but seeing him being retired, there's a small feeling of emptiness.

Last point was glorious. He just sent that ball flying.

Goodbye Mugro. All the best in your life post tennis.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Farewell Nico, have a nice post-career life :hatoff:

·
Banned
349 Posts
I enjoyed watching him play. The special player.

Not a mental giant for sure, but I doubt there is a MTF user who has as much money as he does. He is only 33 and doesn't need to work anymore, can have careless life, while those who call him a mug will need to get up early and work until they are very old and still ain't going to have things Nicolas already has.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
It's sad that his career was cut short like this.

I really don't understand why he chose to retire in this Challenger, going out against a nobody, instead of Madrid or Barcelona or something.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Code:

I really don't understand why he chose to retire in this Challenger, going out against a nobody, instead of Madrid or Barcelona or something.
Maybe because he was born in Murcia, the only reason I can see

·
Registered
3,186 Posts

And maybe because he thinks his current level is not good enough anymore? Which is very sad. I remember watching him win Estoril vs PCB and how much it meant for him. Also when he was playing Del Potro and his extremely sad injury..

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve just watched some nico highlights... wait he choked a 6:3, 6:5, 40:0 on his own serve against nadal in bercy? What the fuck was that? Is that why he’s called a choker by so many people?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I’ve just watched some nico highlights... wait he choked a 6:3, 6:5, 40:0 on his own serve against nadal in bercy? What the fuck was that? Is that why he’s called a choker by so many people?
Not only those five match points, but the guy also blew a 2-0 lead against Ferrer at the 2013 Australian Open, having served for the match twice if I recall correctly

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Mugro :hug:

Not a fan but still a sad end of an underachieving career. I thought he would give it one last try this claycourt season but I guess the level of tennis and body just isn't there anymore.

Best wishes to Nico :wavey:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts