Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course another Open Era record that TMF just set was 4 consecutive years with at least 2 slam wins. Previous best by Borg(78-80), Sampras(93-95). The real question to be asked about this, since it involves Fed winning the Australian Open 3x, can we hold it against past champs like Lendl because the AO was played in December until 1987. Also Agassi skipped the AO the first 1/3 of his career because it wasn't considered a blue-chip slam. Was it considered a blue-chip only starting in 1994? Also if we're talking about slam legitimacy, didn't the French Open have reduced fields some years in the 1970s? Either we say all 4 slams are equal or they're not.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Most prestigious slam: Wimbledon
It doesn't necessarily make much sense. It's played on the least used surface and during the 90's it was more or less reduced to a serving contest. However, there's the tradition and I bet that it's the slam that most players would like to win the most.

Joint second: French Open and the US Open
There's clearly a distinction here. Northern Americans regard the US Open as far more important than the French Open, while it's arguably the other way round for Europeans (especially southern europeans) and southern americans. I remember back in the day that the French Open was a tournament that everyone here followed, while the US Open was merely a tournament we heard about, but didn't actually follow. It was probably the other way around in the US. Hence, we were never bothered that Borg couldn't win the US Open.

Last: The Australian Open
I'd say from around the early to midnineties, players started regarding The Australian Open as a *real* slam. Today it is almost on par with the other three although it is still the least prestigious. At least noone skips the Australian any more, unless they're injured.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
In south america french open is bigger than even wimbledon. I think RG is clearly the 2nd greatest grand slam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts