Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Fed wins the USO that means he will have won Multiple GSs in back to back years. Who was the last player to do that, if any, in the open era?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any one else?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that Sampras had done it, but I also thought I had heard a commentator saying that no one had accomplished that for some long span of years. Guess my ears were broken that day
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
has anyone won multiple grand slams the year after winning 3 grand slams? maybe thats what I heard, cuz i know that Sampras never won three slams in a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,235 Posts
In the Open Era, no. There have been three players before Federer (Open Era) who have won three or more Slams in a year: Laver, Connors, and Wilander. None of them won a Slam the next year - so Federer has already gone one step further on that, and if he wins the US Open, it'll be even better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
what the press meant is that no one has won wimby and uso for 2 consecutive yrs together.

fed has the chance to do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Sampras won at least two majors in each of these years:93, 94, and 95.

Llendl won at least two majors in each of these years: 86, 87.

Borg won at least two majors in each of these years:78, 79, and 80.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flibbertigibbet said:
In the Open Era, no. There have been three players before Federer (Open Era) who have won three or more Slams in a year: Laver, Connors, and Wilander. None of them won a Slam the next year - so Federer has already gone one step further on that, and if he wins the US Open, it'll be even better.

Thanks for clearing that up for me :wavey:
 

·
Fed Fo Mod
Joined
·
11,233 Posts
Lendl in the stretch of 85-87 was incredible

85: RG Runner up, Wimbledon 4th round, USO win, Australian Open SF
86: RG win, Wimbledon Runner up, USO win, Australian Open SF
87: Australian Open SF, RG win, Wimbledon Runner up, USO win,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
BigboyDan said:
Sampras won at least two majors in each of these years:93, 94, and 95.

Llendl won at least two majors in each of these years: 86, 87.

Borg won at least two majors in each of these years:78, 79, and 80.
Sampras also won two majors in 97.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,403 Posts
megadeth said:
what the press meant is that no one has won wimby and uso for 2 consecutive yrs together.

fed has the chance to do that.
Venus 00-01. :p

It'd be amazing if he does it. Go Fed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,932 Posts
NYCtennisfan said:
Lendl in the stretch of 85-87 was incredible

85: RG Runner up, Wimbledon 4th round, USO win, Australian Open SF
86: RG win, Wimbledon Runner up, USO win, Australian Open SF
87: Australian Open SF, RG win, Wimbledon Runner up, USO win,
Interesting, his results in 86 are identical to 87.
That is actually an exceptional run. Sampras never achieved more than 3 grand slam semi-finals in a row because of his struggles at Roland Garros. But Lendl managed 8 semis in a row and wasn't the Aus Open played on grass back then? Lendl's least favoured surface yet he still did very well. I think this guy was a legend but he's underestimated purely because he never won Wimbledon.
 

·
Fed Fo Mod
Joined
·
11,233 Posts
Interesting, his results in 86 are identical to 87.
That is actually an exceptional run. Sampras never achieved more than 3 grand slam semi-finals in a row because of his struggles at Roland Garros. But Lendl managed 8 semis in a row and wasn't the Aus Open played on grass back then? Lendl's least favoured surface yet he still did very well. I think this guy was a legend but he's underestimated purely because he never won Wimbledon.
Lendl was amazing and in all reality was pretty darn good on grass too. If the grass played like it does today, he probably could've won at least one. In any case, he had so many RU and SF finishes on grass that he was actually one of the best players on the surface. It's too bad he played in the era of JMAC, old Connors, Edberg and Becker.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top