Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

(...) vocal performances in the lower range. Female vocalists qualify if they sing relatively low compared to their peers.

Reactions: Chris Kuerten

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

It's very easy! Every game, the winner of the previous edition chooses a theme. Every player sends a song to the manager via PM (don't make it public!) that meets the criteria and after a period of time a playlist is created. Then it's all about listening music, picking your favorite songs and sending your votes to the manager. The song with the most points wins!

Games usually last around 20 days, so don't worry, there's plenty of time.

1) Songs Submission Phase: Here you choose a song that complies with the game's theme and send a YouTube link to the manager. This phase lasts around 8 days.

(If two or more players happen to send the same song, the manager will accept the first player's choice and request the others to send a different song. All this will be done privately via PM)

* Please note that you can change your selected song during this phase only ONCE

2) Voting Phase: You'll have around 12 days to listen to the playlist and send the manager your votes.

(The voting format is explained below)

3) Final Ceremony: This is where the manager reveals who submitted each song and how many points it got! The ceremony takes place shortly or soon after Phase 2 ends.

(Remember, dates and time will be provided by the manager but they are not set in stone. If it's needed, the manager might change them with previous notice.)

After listening to the playlist, you send your favorite songs via PM to the manager in one of the following formats. Note that you can't vote for your own song. The voting format depends on how many people play:

1) If 27 players or fewer participate, you vote for 10 songs ranked from top to bottom and numbered like this:

Code:
[U]12 Points:[/U] Your favorite song
[U]10 Points:[/U] 2nd favorite song.
[U]8 Points:[/U] 3rd favorite song.
[U]7 Points:[/U] (...)
[U]6 Points:[/U] (...)
[U]5 Points:[/U] (...)
[U]4 Points:[/U] (...)
[U]3 Points:[/U] (...)
[U]2 Points:[/U] (...)
[U]1 Point:[/U] (...)
2) If 28 or more players participate, the manager will host Semifinals. In each Semifinal, you vote for 10 songs as in the previous example. After the semi-finals the manager will publish a list of those songs that have reached the Final and you should vote again. Remember that even if your song doesn't make it through to the Final, you are still allowed and indeed requested to vote in the Final!

If you don't vote, or vote for fewer songs than requested, then you will receive a penalty like this:

1) If you don't vote at all, your song will lose the maximum amount of points. (12 points)

2) If you vote for fewer songs, you will receive penalty points in reverse order of the points awarded (to the songs) in the particular voting format. (9 votes -> 1 point penalty, 8 votes -> 2 points penalty and so on)

1)If the same song is sent by more than one player, the manager is supposed to ask the second and further players to choose another song.

2) The manager is required to send her/his own votes to MWW (click here), not later than 48 hours before the respective voting deadline (also in semifinals), else the manager's votes will not count.

3) Tiebreak criteria (for songs tied in points after the voting):
1st = amount of sets of top points received. 2nd (if still tied) = amount of 2nd highest points received. And so on.

4) The ideal duration for a 'midsized' BSG edition is 20-21 days: 8 for Nominations, 12 for Voting, 1 for transition or extensions.
The manager is however free to move the dates or extend that duration quite a bit.

5) Late votes: It's common practice in BSG to count late votes until the actual start of the results revelation (or Ceremony).
That could make things tough for the manager though. It's alright if the manager announces (shortly) in advance that the deadline will be strict, but then really no late votes can be accepted (as situations where the manager can arbitrarily decide if a vote counts, could be abused for results manipulation).

6) Here are some helpful links for new managers: Spreadsheet template and Previous Winners List.

7) "Best Song Game" is a simple and catchy label, but one of the purposes of this game is to discover new music.

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Previously Used Songs

Players (16):

Redolent
Awka Liwen
MWW
Rob & Stephen
yellow grass
TheBigFourFTW
UelMac
citizen_insane
Ilovetheblues_86
Ilkae
Notax
Silent Bird
Hammett
acacacacademy
aerosmash

Chris Kuerten

Playlist (Click me)
Soda Stéreo - En La Ciudad De La Furia (Mtv Unplugged)
The Sisters Of Mercy - Dance On Glass
Jim Stafford - Swamp Witch
Shriekback - This Big Hush
Fred Neil - The Dolphins
Pink Turns Blue - Your Master Is Calling
Tomi P - Sound Of Silence
Mark Knopfler - Hill Farmer's Blues
Nine - Wutcha Want
George Hearn - I Am What I Am
Paradise Lost - Ghosts
Mojo Juju And The Snake-Oil Merchants - Catch A Fire
Nilüfer Yanya - Keep On Calling
Nico - Roses In The Snow
The Platters - Sixteen Tons
Bill Callahan - Baby's Breath

Reactions: hammett

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@MWW you can archive #96 whenever possible.

·
Registered
22,472 Posts
@MWW you can archive #96 whenever possible.

These haven't been archived yet either. Rob & Stephen will be grateful ten years from now

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please let me know if you see a new wave of players updated and not your name. I always answer the messages after adding new entries. 👍

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far extremely high quality of songs.

·
Registered
22,472 Posts
I never realized that it can be quite hard to determine whether a voice is deep or not. Hoping for plenty of female submissions as well, which is even trickier!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I never realized that it can be quite hard to determine whether a voice is deep or not. Hoping for plenty of female submissions as well, which is even trickier!
Yeah, it's been a problem for me too. So far, I have not come up with any song with a deep enough voice

·
Registered
13,091 Posts
Total collapse in Brazil right now. 2000 deaths per day. 3 senators out of 81 dead. Branco, left back of the wc 1994 in intensive healthcare.

·
Registered
22,472 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Total collapse in Brazil right now. 2000 deaths per day. 3 senators out of 81 dead. Branco, left back of the wc 1994 in intensive healthcare.

2k per day, that's insane. 😰

How are you holding up over there IL?

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Three more days until deadline, we're five players in. Hopefully we'll get more folks by Wednesday.

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
🎸

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
In. It was hard to choose from so many options. Some candidate sonks seemed best reserved for other possible future themes. I'll actually pay attention to the voting submission date so that I get my vote in this time...

·
Registered
13,091 Posts
2k per day, that's insane. 😰

How are you holding up over there IL?
3 k yesterday

I am visiting my parents and we cant go to the streets, lockdown was declared a week ago.
But in Sao Paulo city theres no lockdown.
And people are starting to die without being accepted into hospitals, its a total collapse of the health system.

·
Registered
22,472 Posts
We had elections last week and the most far-right party was the only one touring from city to city to campaign. Obviously without masks, with handshakes and hugs and other shenanigans. So yeah, things are getting bad here as well, won't surprise me if the added numbers have to do with that. That far-right party went from 2 to 8 seats, clearly nobody remembered that they were the ones who were shouting about the current goverment being too soft and were calling for a hard lockdown, instead of the complete ban on every COVID measurement they are doing now.

The fake left parties lost 11 seats because they are opportunists with no principles. At least the anti-capitalist party I voted for (BIJ1) managed to get a seat for the first time ever.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts