Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I sort of have a short break now and you might have wondered, why there have been no MTF Tennis Elbow tournaments this year at all. Despite having personal challenges like everyone has like university etc. and which I rather don't want to go in detail, there have been a few things which didn't motivate me to sacrifice the little rest of free time in our precious little tour which for big parts delivered fun mostly. But also stress which I want to mention later on.

However, I didn't have enough time to elaborate on it earlier and felt some kind of the need to tell you my thoughts which led to an abrupt ending of the tour. In medias res:

1. Forum's activity has been lacking and declining, so has the interest in MTF TE. Not quite a bold statement, but one of my first thoughts whenever I was thinking about organising TE tournaments. The thing is that there've been too many tournaments which led to a satisfaction after all, especially I overdid in hindsight as for the amount of tournaments. It wasn't really fun after constantly having 30 participants at a single tournament to barely ten or twelve at the latest ones. Additionally a lot of helpful users left the boat which I will go on further at my last stances. There wasn't much substance anymore for some kind of a tour, no problem, but why couldn't we have like one tournament once in two months?

2. The game itself has been declining as well as it got more and more difficult to have a good connection. That is probably the main reason for me at least. It got even more tiresome when you just had to be aware that you couldn't let play a European with an American for example. And the servers didn't seem to be set for increasing activity as there have been more matches played thanks to us lol. This wasn't much of a problem when we started, but it was a pain on my neck when people could barely play due to massive lags or matches couldn't take place for the same reason. 'No problem', I thought back then cause the new TE update would come out soon, but:

3. There has been no Tennis Elbow update yet. The game was growing and getting better, but there were still obvious bugs to fix which they didn't. It feels like the game hasn't improved at all this year, quite the contrary, and it's a bit annoying as this game has so much more potential. It already is a good fun to play it now, it's probably the best tennis game in the market which speaks volumes. And with the thought of getting the update soon a year and a half ago you were kinda tolerating this beta status to have more fun then. However, this didn't work as we saw.

That was a big blow for me and a reason for my lacking interest in this game for quite a while. But there's another and last point which felt me compelled to stop things:

4. Those users who helped me to organise/create the stats/wiki draws/w.e. left and I've been running it on my own. Given the amount of work which has accumulated the past few months for me at uni/work/life etc. I got to the point that I wasn't anymore up to program these fancy wiki stats/tables etc pm a regular basis. I just didn't have enough time and the people who helped me in that regard unfortunately disappeared and didn't hand me access to their worked out tables and stats.
However, last tournaments felt a bit like drama shows. Although we love action, feuds and scandals at times, it got over the top and felt like it was all drama. I mean it was fun to a specific point, but I received even some weird pms which I don't want to talk about anymore. People were wondering why this didn't get moved to the ruins :haha:
It got a bit messy at the end.

A tl;dr version would be that I lacked motivation because of declining interest, declining game, promises that couldn't be kept and drama/too much work. I wanted to share you my thoughts for all those who might have wondered about my and MTF TE's absence and I'd be delighted for feedback, replies or anything. If you feel something different on a point, then just go ahead.

I felt kind of owing an explanation for the missing tournaments, I hope that I have delivered. We could talk about future [a] tournament as well if you're up for one the next weeks or anything else related to the future of this game. In my opinion this game would become attractive again with an update.

Thanks for your attention.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,393 Posts
I've never formally participated but just want to say that running any forum game takes quite some dedication, and even more so when you need to do it over online servers. Over the years we've seen people come and go, which is life and games the same. No more Mafia, Risk? and BSG is still on but in dire straits.

My advice is that if it comes the field will be built. Doesn't need to be set in stone, one off events could be organized and not necessarily by yourself if people see fit.

You've done a great job and there's virtually nothing to be ashamed of.

·
Super Moderator
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never formally participated but just want to say that running any forum game takes quite some dedication, and even more so when you need to do it over online servers. Over the years we've seen people come and go, which is life and games the same. No more Mafia, Risk? and BSG is still on but in dire straits.

My advice is that if it comes the field will be built. Doesn't need to be set in stone, one off events could be organized and not necessarily by yourself if people see fit.

I don't feel ashamed at all, but there've been a few people asking me why there was no mtf TE tournament held. And like the other games you need more than one guy who can navigate the ship, but attempts haven't worked at all. Take a look at the failed Canada Masters last year when someone else managed everything, but nobody bothered to play the matches. Obviously MTF TE would go with MTF's flow in terms of declined activity, but - I don't want to sound rude - I didn't see the purpose to keep a tour up for ten people and VS could probably ask the same in a few years if this forum goes down the drain.

Thanks for your kind words tho and I'd be up for a big tournament the next weeks alongside with ACC/Popcon if people show interest.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I never played TE, but I have played other games on the forum so I know how much time and dedication that it takes to run any of the games. Thanks for providing the forum the game while you were able to do so and while there was a large enough group of players that wanted to play. Sadly other games on the forum have shut down for the same reasons you have mentioned :sad:

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
I find it good that you said this Andreas, I always wanted you say something about this. Because MTF Tennis Elbow tour was really very very funny and I was alaways here because of this. You really made great job, bro. Although I'm not happy that you didn't do nothing this year. You said you had no more time for many tournaments, but why not two or three or four and now one? I still didn't understand this much although I liked your post.

Hopefully we can play one now and therefore sorry, @alejan_milos because I thought TE was over in Christmas and thought this wasdead because it looked like dead. Sorry we can play it now when you want

For guys like @cmchelsea , @ProudSerb etc. hope you are still here and we can play short one.

But props Andreas to find words. It was needed I think and good you finally made these words. I came here online because you said you posted something with mtf te.

·
Banned
1,391 Posts

Are you really comparing clown things like Risk or BSG with the great MTF Tennis Elbow which had everything? :haha:

I want it back :crying:

·
The special one
13,867 Posts
I still occasionally play. Sadly I peaked after this ended, built my ELO to about 1700, now I just occasionally play against CPU.

·
Premium Member
9,940 Posts
I have been in ruins ever since Top Spin 4 is now 7 years old

·
Super Moderator
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I find it good that you said this Andreas, I always wanted you say something about this. Because MTF Tennis Elbow tour was really very very funny and I was alaways here because of this. You really made great job, bro. Although I'm not happy that you didn't do nothing this year. You said you had no more time for many tournaments, but why not two or three or four and now one? I still didn't understand this much although I liked your post.

Hopefully we can play one now and therefore sorry, @alejan_milos because I thought TE was over in Christmas and thought this wasdead because it looked like dead. Sorry we can play it now when you want

For guys like @cmchelsea , @ProudSerb etc. hope you are still here and we can play short one.

But props Andreas to find words. It was needed I think and good you finally made these words. I came here online because you said you posted something with mtf te.
Thanks, if you guys are really up to we could hold a One-Set-tournament open for everybody.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Nearly retired, but I will always play TE on MTF.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
there is Tennis Elbow 4 scheduled to be released in 2019 tho :hearts:

I just got an email recently of the upcoming release :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts