Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
221 - 238 of 238 Posts

·
justice for all
12,110 Posts
Do you really think users here care about the software working in the background? Forum software is for the installers and implementers to deal with. Users come here to post and/or read the comments. The new software is a million times better and million years newer than the old software, yet the new forum is less attractive to vision and less enjoyable to read than the old forum?

Seriously, guys, make the forum more attractive to eyes and more enjoyable to read. People hardly care about the software behind the forum and other fancy changes.

From the classy look and feel, the forum has gone backward to cheap look and feel. I'm sorry, I'm critical.
Maybe PIG works for Xenforo?

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
Hey steve, you could have put some lube on first

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
Oh dear God what the hell has happened to this forum? I can't navigate it at all!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
New as in relevant posts or as in newest or as in most popular?
Let me know how this would look.

-Gerrit
1.As in the Recent Discussions which was present in the right side of the webpage on desktop. Now its under "New" but please make it always present on the right side of the page like before.

2. Could you make the light theme a little less light? It looks great on my smartphone but it is uncomfortable on my laptop. Could we get back the original blue and grey theme? I know there is a dark theme but I miss the original theme before.

3. Can we get an option to always expand signatures

4.Can we have achievements shown under the profile pictures like before like Replies Discussions Reaction score Points

5. Can we get a shoutbox to chat in realtime?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I didn't mean that there should be "no drama" but you have to admit some of the whining is over-the-top. It took a few weeks for them to get new "forum skins" the last time as well... they have to focus on big things like migrating 17 years of threads and accounts and private messages and everything, and having all the links work, people be able to log in & post, etc. It had only been a few hours when I posted, and people were shocked that everything wasn't perfect already.

What many people don't seem to get is that this wasn't a "redesign" or a changing of the scenery -- it was moving over to a completely other system. I don't know how you think that can be done "incrementally" - feature by feature. There's just no way. It'd be like saying "I'm going to go from riding a bike to driving a car.... but incrementally.... by continuing to ride my bike while attaching one car part at a time to the bike! Today we'll mount the rearview mirrors to the bike, next week the bumpers, then the doors, ...." -- I mean, there's no way. :p
See that's what I'm talking about. User friendliness. You are stuck in your insider bubble. I am not supposed to know or (in case I know) give a rat's ass about system migrations and link validations. That's the forum's concern. I am an end user — provide your services with the digital equivalent of a smooth and gentle touch and a plastic smile.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
And now an obligatory list of my main gripes

1:— Where are the smilies? (unique forum smilies trump generic emojis any day and twice on sundays)

2:— white background · again totally lame poor taste (= generic). We need our default sky blue background and thick dark blue lines back. This is not even nostalgia-motivated but practical: high contrast. But now with this white thing and thin gray lines you can barely distinguish where one post ends and the other one begins.

3:— the superfluous redundant "Recommended Reading" thing found all the way below on every page. I don't need that thing and more importantly it stands in my way. Now I now have to scroll down AND THEN UP again every time I need to go to a thread's next page if I want to run quickly thru a thread. Because the button with "Prev... pages 1, 2, 3,...." is located too high up from below due to the height of the recommended reading section. Either reduce the height of "recommended Reading" or move it to the sidebar ASAP.

Most of the other layout complaints I've read so far are minor — I'm fine with quotes and signatures being partly hidden by default. They are repetitive and I don't need to see them again and again. So hiding those things by default is an actual genuine improvement that I notice on more and more forums. Other things I am still ambivalent about — like the "circular" avatar. I'm not sure I like it — in fact I probably consider it ugly. But at the same time I am not sure it's big enough deal to deserve my hate and request for a replacement.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
This already exists. Go to your Account Settings and select "Preferences"; Under "Content Options" there's a checkbox that says "Show people's signatures with their messages" which will be checked off, and underneath it says "signatures will be collapsed by default" -- BUT there's a checkbox under that that says "Always show expanded signatures" -- if you check that off (and save), then all signatures will fully show for you.
Check that box, but you have to log in to see the expanded signatures.

What if you are lurking around casually instead of logging in? Is there a way to see expanded signatures, if are simply lurking around?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Pluses: Mobile-friendly site (no crashes on my smart phone yet), faster (due to less ads, apparently)

Minuses: Everything (where are the animated and moving smileys?)

Biggest Minus: No visual appeal. The old forum had a great visual appeal, and we lost that now.
I have had crashes on my smart phone this morning, and this new forum is no crash-proof either.

The site is visibly and obviously faster on all devices; PC, tablets, and smart phones. That is an obvious difference and huge improvement from the old forum. I have got to give that to you.

By the way, what is up with the "Join now to ask and comment! Continue with Facebook, Continue with Google" message popping up on every single page you are browsing on mobile phone. Clicking on "X" and closing that message for every web page is annoying.

This already exists. Go to your Account Settings and select "Preferences"; Under "Content Options" there's a checkbox that says "Show people's signatures with their messages" which will be checked off, and underneath it says "signatures will be collapsed by default" -- BUT there's a checkbox under that that says "Always show expanded signatures" -- if you check that off (and save), then all signatures will fully show for you.
With a change in the settings in "preferences" you still have to log in every single time to see the signatures in expanded form.

What if you are lurking around casually for fun instead of logging in, then you have to put up with the shortened signatures.

Anyway, I have a little complaint with respect to the signature the way it is right now on this new forum. Signatures are a form of advertising and conveying your message to other posters/readers. A shorter signature means reduced interruption and I can go to the next post/comment quickly. The shorter the signature, the lesser the annoyance, and the more meaningful browsing/reading.

Of course I care about the software. That is what lets it run faster, be more secure, and the functionality is definitely better too. For example, the text editor is much better, the quoting system is better, the ignore function is better (it hides everything from ignored posters, including quotes in other users' posts), mobile works 100x better; the list goes on

How it looks is again, easy to change. I personally think this looks fine, and it's just a matter of getting used to it. But it's nothing that can't be fixed if enough users are bothered by it.
Only 100x better? Not million times?

Maybe PIG works for Xenforo?
There is a good chance Victorious PIG is the creator and owner of Xenforo.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
@Steve in the games section for Tennis Tipping I manage a lot of events and am managing WTF as we speak. First thing that was noticed is no download as text option for PMs , this will be extremely time consuming 1 at a time, and would be impossible in big events like AO .

Am I missing something or has no option like this been added?If not o hope it can be before Jan 1.

The rest will take some getting use to, but I’m sure will be fine!

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,141 Posts

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
How do you make new threads?

·
Administrator
1,915 Posts
Hey all,

Just grabbed my coffee and am catching up on things let me net some answers for y'all. :)

Looks to be a major problem, can't send PM's anymore for games.
As others have pointed out, PMs are call conversations now, and there are a few ways to start them
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “conversations”.

From this menu there is a "Start a new conversation option, or you can view existing ones. You can also start one from a user's profile or from the menu that opens up when you hover over that User's avatar in thread.

Yeah. Basically I'm getting ruins when I'm logged out..
View attachment 352519

But when I login as you can see here the ruins section disappears and I can't post on there..

View attachment 352520
This is strange, unfortunately ther ruins will be viewable by the public, but you shouldn't be having this error. I'll look into it once I am done replying to the threads here. :)

The biggest things that need to be addressed, for me:

1. Avatars being rectangular and full size, especially for premium members who paid for this.
2. Signatures being visible without having to click a button to show them. If people want signatures turned off then maybe that should be an option in the account settings, but the default setting should be to have them fully visible like before.
3. Bring back the old smilies. They were unique to this forum (the animated ones especially were great) and using emojis I can find on my phone is hardly interesting or creative.

If those get resolved then I can live with this, I guess. I would like the overall skin/theme to be more interesting/creative too. The black/white thing is an eyesore, but meh.
1) This is something we are looking to addressing, as it was a paid feature.
2) We can look into this being an option; however for the time being this is a setting choice that the user has to dictate
3)The issue with old smilies is the platform integration with dated tech. The current emojis are dynamically supported across all platforms, if you like the look of the old emojis they can be uploaded to a gallery and utilized that way as an in-text image, but I find that the vast array of images and GIFs at your disposal (literally anything on the internet is now an option) to be more open ended. I have heard yours and everyone else's love for the love for the legacy emotes, and I have marked them for development, I just can't promise they will be developed in the way or timeframe you may be looking for.

where are my private messages?
As mentioned, conversations can be viewed from the dropdown tab under your avatar in the top right. :)

Thanks for the assist in the response :)

View attachment 352525

Tried mobile and got stuck here. No idea whats goin on
This looks like an old cached load out. If you delete all cache and cookies, and refresh your browser's bookmarks it should load without issue. :)

Oh dear God what the hell has happened to this forum? I can't navigate it at all!!
If you're having issues with navigation, please let me know how I can help you poke around :)

1.As in the Recent Discussions which was present in the right side of the webpage on desktop. Now its under "New" but please make it always present on the right side of the page like before.

2. Could you make the light theme a little less light? It looks great on my smartphone but it is uncomfortable on my laptop. Could we get back the original blue and grey theme? I know there is a dark theme but I miss the original theme before.

3. Can we get an option to always expand signatures

4.Can we have achievements shown under the profile pictures like before like Replies Discussions Reaction score Points

5. Can we get a shoutbox to chat in realtime?
Let's get these in order :)
1The New Icon is always available at the top right? is this what you'd like to see it look like or function otherwise?
2) I can certainly work towards developing an alternative to light and dark mode, what specifically would you like to see it look like?
3) As pointed out above, this is an option in your system preferences

4 Achievements? How would you like this displayed, without that information becoming too crowded?
5) as on now this is not something we've brought to development as you're one of the first to suggest it. If there is support from the community we can try to implement it.

And now an obligatory list of my main gripes

1:— Where are the smilies? (unique forum smilies trump generic emojis any day and twice on sundays)

2:— white background · again totally lame poor taste (= generic). We need our default sky blue background and thick dark blue lines back. This is not even nostalgia-motivated but practical: high contrast. But now with this white thing and thin gray lines you can barely distinguish where one post ends and the other one begins.

3:— the superfluous redundant "Recommended Reading" thing found all the way below on every page. I don't need that thing and more importantly it stands in my way. Now I now have to scroll down AND THEN UP again every time I need to go to a thread's next page if I want to run quickly thru a thread. Because the button with "Prev... pages 1, 2, 3,...." is located too high up from below due to the height of the recommended reading section. Either reduce the height of "recommended Reading" or move it to the sidebar ASAP.

Most of the other layout complaints I've read so far are minor — I'm fine with quotes and signatures being partly hidden by default. They are repetitive and I don't need to see them again and again. So hiding those things by default is an actual genuine improvement that I notice on more and more forums. Other things I am still ambivalent about — like the "circular" avatar. I'm not sure I like it — in fact I probably consider it ugly. But at the same time I am not sure it's big enough deal to deserve my hate and request for a replacement.
1) The support for legacy smileys means sometimes they can be buggy or open to breaking. We're trying to prevent that by centralizing the emojis, but I get why y'all miss them. Hopefully the new options to post any images or GIFs leave to a more open and acceptable sollution until we can find a satisfactory resolution
2) High Contrast mode is why I love Dark Mode so much, have you given that a shot?
3) This is something we can definitely look into doing, would you like to see less information on each thread recommended, or less recommendations?

@Steve in the games section for Tennis Tipping I manage a lot of events and am managing WTF as we speak. First thing that was noticed is no download as text option for PMs , this will be extremely time consuming 1 at a time, and would be impossible in big events like AO .

Am I missing something or has no option like this been added?If not o hope it can be before Jan 1.

The rest will take some getting use to, but I’m sure will be fine!
This sounds rather involved and I want to be sure to get this all right. Shoot me a PM (conversation) explaining how we can properly develop these features with you to get you the best solution for your needs
How do you make new threads?
Once you have selected which forum or subforum where you would like to start your new discussion thread (and you have navigated to it) you will see a “Start Discussion” button.

A new screen will open. Now you can add your title, content, and any images you may want to add to your thread discussion. Make sure to click the “post thread” button when you’re done.

I think I'm caught up, but if I missed anything or if I didn't address your concern as wanted, let me know :)

-Gerrit

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,915 Posts
Hello all,

Gonna close this thread to avoid confusion. Please use the Feedback thread below for any questions so we can keep it all in the same place.

Jeff M

221 - 238 of 238 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.