Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please take all factors into account and give your best objective opinion and reasons.
For example, which player is likely to be healthy enough to do it? Who will have the strength?
Which player is good enough to do it?
Is age a factor? Do you believe a player in his 20's will have a breakthrough, win his first major, and take the tour by storm?

If you think none, please say so and why.
If you are torn between a couple of players, you can mention both.

I'm leaning in one direction, but that could change with some good arguments.
So convince me!

Think of your selection as a nomination, and after there are enough responses, I will add a poll and then we can vote. :)

Remember, there may be players other than the Big 2 who deserve some mention, and tennis can change fast ;)

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Banned
12 Posts
Hard to predict as nobody knows how injuries will play a role.

On current form Nadal looks nailed on for FO and USO and Djokovic for W and Olympics. Olympics are considered as prestigious as Slams by the players so the answer to the question is Nadal and Djokovic. They are light years ahead of the rest.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 more would mean the player already has a major, so that basically means either Big 3 if you meant in general or just Djokovic if you meant a player who already has a major from this year.
Sorry for any confusion TV. Title reworded to clarify. So who has the best chance of winning any 2 of RG, WC, or USO this year?

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Obviously Nadal with FO/USO and Novak erith WB/USO have the best chance - prolly slightly Nadal as he's more dominant at FO than Novak is at WB, everyone else is a longshot

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Rafa has the best chance, IMO.

Rafa did it in 2017 (FO & USO), Djokovic did it in 2018 (WIM & USO), and Rafa did it again in 2019 (FO & USO). Is it Djokovic's turn in 2020 again? Maybe, maybe not. It could be Rafa again.

The other players can't win a grand slam let alone 2.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Based on betting odds, here are the players most likely to do it, ranked from most to least likely:

PlayerProbability
Djokovic
21.5%​
Nadal
15.7%​
Thiem
2.6%​
Medvedev
1.1%​
Tsitsipas
0.9%​
Zverev
0.7%​

And in terms of scenarios and which two Slams they're likely to win, here are the most likely scenarios:

Djokovic
9.9%​
Wimbledon & US Open
Nadal
7.2%​
French and US Open
Nadal
5.8%​
French & Wimbledon
Djokovic
4.7%​
French & Wimbledon
Djokovic
4.4%​
French and US Open
Djokovic
2.5%​
French, Wimbledon & US Open
Thiem
1.6%​
French and US Open
Nadal
1.4%​
Wimbledon & US Open
Nadal
1.3%​
French, Wimbledon & US Open

So, basically, about a 2.5% probability that Djokovic could get a calendar-year Grand Slam.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
It would be a milestone if anyone new won a slam, nevermind two. The only possible answers to the OP are Nadal and Djokovic. And since Nadal is a huge favorite for the FO still, and is able to go far in both Wimby and USO, he's more likely. However, what I think will really happen is one slam for Nadal, one for Djoko, and one for a new guy.

·
Your visions will happen
49,306 Posts
Over the next 27 weeks, we have 7 Master 1000, 3 slams, and 1 Olympics. There is SO MUCH AT STAKE this season. Legacies will be written and erased

I cannot look past Indian Wells. Once you look past and try to predict and so on, that's when crazy shit happens. Just focused on Indian Wells, the rest will come day by day and week by week

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Nobody will, but Djokovic has the best chances. The betting odds seem pretty reasonable to me, although I would rate Nadal‘s chances somewhat lower and Thiem‘s somewhat higher. If the latter should manage to win RG, I can entirely see him winning USO as well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
For me Nadal has the best chance. Wimbledon is as NID as it gets for Djokovic but his chances seem quite low elsewhere. I can't see him beating Nadal in Paris and in NY he seems quite vunerable.

·
Premium Member
10,026 Posts
I guess it is quite impossible to predict more over when main characters are 33+.

We learnt from last year that injuries or fatigue may happen anytime for them : Djokovic at USO, Nadal in the post USO season....
We learnt that recovery is more and more difficult : Djokovic walking on water in Paris and then drowned in London...
Of course they are quite good at scheduling and often peak at Slams where Bo5 favours their experience BUT we should keep in mind that we are blessed when they are fit and competitive at 33+....

·
|
15,353 Posts
Rafa has won 2 of the last 3 US Opens, and was injured in the only US Open he didn't win (2018, retired from SF).
Rafa has won the last 3 French Opens.
Facts are facts, Rafa is most likely to win 2 slams this year.
And also factor in that he's made the Wimbledon SFs 2 years in a row....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts