Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Given the points freeze it's hard to predict. Fed? We know nothing. But if he's fit and does play the masters and two slams he should stay top 10. So I figure more or less the current live rankings - in terms of players, not positions - minus Berrettini and possibly Schwartzman. Shapovalov belongs in the top 10 but after him there's a wide scope of contenders.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Its very hard to say with the points freeze. I will say who I think will be top 10 but I wont give an order

Novak Djokovic
Rafael Nadal
Daniil Medvedev
Stefanos Tsitsipas
Dominic Thiem
Andrey Rublev
Denis Shapovalov
David Goffin
Alex De Minaur
Alexander Zverev

I dont have Roger Federer in here because I am fairly sure he will be retired by year's end. If I am wrong then I think he will b able to maintain his rank and replace David Goffin , who I think could have a strong rebound from last year with him

·
Registered
77 Posts
Given the points freeze it's hard to predict. Fed? We know nothing. But if he's fit and does play the masters and two slams he should stay top 10. So I figure more or less the current live rankings - in terms of players, not positions - minus Berrettini and possibly Schwartzman. Shapovalov belongs in the top 10 but after him there's a wide scope of contenders.
I don't really know how you can say Denis Shapovalov belongs in the top 10. You don't even know how he will perform this year. He could play like garbage and not do anything significant

·
Registered
99 Posts
It will depend on whether the ranking points after Dubai drop or not.

If ranking points don't drop until after RG

1. Djokovic 2. Thiem 3. Rafa 4. Medvedev 5. Tsitsipas 6. Rublev 7. Zverev 8. Federer 9.Shapo 10. Raonic

If ranking points drop after Dubai

1. Rafa 2. Thiem 3. Djokovic 4. Medvedev 5. Tsitsipas 6. Rublev 7. Zverev 8.Shapo 9. Federer 10. Sinner

·
Premium Member
11,505 Posts
Can someone @me . Does Federer keep Top 10 standing/ranking from all of 2020???

Or is his ranking basically Protected Ranking?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't really know how you can say Denis Shapovalov belongs in the top 10. You don't even know how he will perform this year. He could play like garbage and not do anything significant
Umm... You listed him as top 10 yourself! Based on what exactly?

·
Super Moderator
12,293 Posts
1. Will any of these top 5 leave the top 10 at the end of the year 2021? If so, which? ( 5 points for each correct player, -5 points for each incorrect player, 5 points for correctly guessing none, -5 for incorrectly guessing none)

None

2. Which player(s) outside the top 5, will make into the top 5 at the end of the year 2021? ( 5 points for each correct player, -5 points for each incorrect player, 5 points for correctly guessing none, -5 for incorrectly guessing none)

ZVEREV

3. Which player(s) currently outside the top 10 will make it into the top 10 at year 2021's end? ( 5 points for each correct player, -5 points for each incorrect player, 5 points for correctly guessing none, -5 for incorrectly guessing none)

Shapovalov
FAA

1. Thiem
  2. Djokovic
  3. Nadal
  4. Zverev
  5. Medvedev
  6. Tsitsipas
  7. Shapovalov
  8. FAA
  9. Rublev
  10. Federer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Perhaps it would be better to repurpose this as ranking players on the points they accrue in 2021 only to avoid all the uncertainty about frozen points, etc?

In any event, here are my predictions (by actual rankings, my answers would be slightly different by 2021 points only):

Will any of the current top 5 fall out of the top 10? No.
Will anyone new finish in the top 5? Zverev.
Will anyone new finish in the top 10? Shapovalov.

Year-end top 10:
1) Djokovic
2) Thiem
3) Nadal
4) Medvedev
5) Zverev
6) Rublev
7) Tsitsipas
8) Federer
9) Schwartzman
10) Shapovalov

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It should be an interesting year, lets see if the full schedule will be played and we will see if the big 3 will keep the no.1 between them or a new one will emerge.

1. Will any of these top 5 leave the top 10 at the end of the year 2021? I would say none, all seem pretty well set in top 10 although an injury or a bad run of form can happen to anyone(federer especially, considering his age an injury).

2. Which player(s) outside the top 5, will make into the top 5 at the end of the year 2021? I think Zverev and Tsitsipas will enter at some point during the season and Rublev will probably have a shot as well but he needs to improve at the bigger tournaments. I think Tsitsipas and Zverev will finish in the top 5.

3. Which player(s) currently outside the top 10 will make it into the top 10 at year 2021's end? I hope Shapovalov and Sinner will finish in the top 10(PCB and RBA might actually have a shot at the top 10 honestly), but I think it will probably be Raonic and Shapovalov.

4. top 10 at years end:
1. Nadal- he and novak each take a turn at the YEN.1 for the last few season and I think it will continue this season.
2. Djokovic - needs to get his act together, might have a slump year and finish lower.
3. Thiem - will probably win another slam and might take the no.1 for some time
4. Tsitsipas - Will have some breakthrough, win a masters or 2 and maybe reach a slam final.
5. Zverev- Needs to solve some issues but he was a stable top 8 player since 2017 and I can't see it changing anytime soon.
6. Medvedev - Won paris and WTF, and ever since murray won it in 2016 each champion had a slump later on, and while I think med is to composed to have a serious slump he will lose some points in the 2nd part of the season.
7. Rublev- Will do slightly better at masters and slams but he won't improve by much(hopefully he will)
8. Federer - Will struggle and play a light schedule but should still win some titles and have good runs at some big tournaments.
9. Shapovalov - I think he will figure some things out and have a pretty good year, albeit an inconsistent one.
10. Raonic- Will have a couple of light injuries but perform well enough for a top 10 ranking(I think the 9-13 rankings will be extremely close to each other).

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
I am very unclear how the froZen rankings (or two year rankings?) works in lieu of this question--especially top ten rankings-- but anyway:

1 Federer

2 Tsitspas

3 Shap (maybe that's my heart speaking) RBA

1 Nadal (this is prob my heart speaking but I think it's very close among Nadal thiem Djok)
2 Thiem
3Djok
4 Med
5Tsitsi
6AZ
7 Rub
8 Diego
9 Shap
10 Sinner

Maybe Fed belongs top ten but I really don't understand the implications of his frozen ranking on top of the two year ranking system, on top of that what his form will be like after surgery and a year off
totall unkown

21 - 36 of 36 Posts