Registered
17,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes or No

·
justice for all
16,233 Posts
Of course a BIG FAT NO.

The governments act in the best interest of their members. I believe it's true for all governments although there may be some differences regarding the EXTENT of corruption.

·
9,527 Posts
No

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Very tough to give a simple yes/no to this question.

Generally what a government does best, like any bureaucracy, is sustain and grow itself. Most governments get bigger over time. Of course, this can (and does) happen via a mix of actions which genuinely serve to benefit the population and bolster government popularity, capture by special interests and corrupt actors, or through standard bloat and waste. So, it's complicated.

One major problem that government has is the lack of an effective price mechanism to allocate goods and services efficiently. So the market is usually superior from an economic standpoint, but not always. There are market failures and some excesses resulting from the business cycle, which the government has a legitimate role in correcting for.

In 2020, the government is far too interventionalist in large developed countries, in my opinion, but I also think that the Nozick "Night Watchman" state goes too far in the opposite direction.

I'd encourage anyone interested in this question to read Why Nations Fail by Acemoglu and Robinson (Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty: Acemoglu, Daron, Robinson, James A.: 9780307719225: Amazon.com: Books). I like this book because it largely sidesteps the "big government vs small government" debate which is very polarizing. Instead they focus on a distinction between a government with effective democratic representation and an extractive form of government controlled by elites. It's a very informative model that you can learn from no matter what your preferred size of government is.

·
Your visions will happen
49,207 Posts
LOL no

The individual members of for example Congress or Parliament act in their own personal best interest. What can they do to hold onto power, consolidate power, and get more power

The citizenry are only collateral damage

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Sometimes, but generally no

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
The true test is actually if you answer the question of conspiracy nutcase @Budadiii or not.

Looks like I'm the only who passed. Sorry guys.

·
Premium Member
9,991 Posts
If I consider the amount of money French LRM governement gave me back from Property taxes, I think they badly acted in my own interest....
But i do not like them and their global action anyway.

·
Registered
17,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The majority of people in power are sociopaths.

Literally. It's not a claim.

Most people in power, people seeking power, are sociopaths.

And the majority are self serving.

They do NOT have society's best interests at heart.

Sadly, it often takes a sociopath mindset/mentality to attain power.

The problem is, ask 1000 people on the streets if gov acts in your best interest, MOST would say no...

They feel something is off about it.

But they don't care enough.

Because things take care of itself. One way or another.

If you care, you take over more responsibility, which most don't want.

And then you have millions of yes-men.

Like @swiss_tennisgod for example

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,304 Posts
Democracy (a non exclusive subset of leadership authority) was never about your best interests being met, only "majority". But even then, that's merely to elect leaders who do most of the decision making for you with varying degrees of advocacy, with a few exceptions.

Even in ancient times, it was noted. Israel asks for a king and accepts that the king will have power over them:

Samuel told all the words of the Lord to the people who were asking him for a king. He said, “This is what the king who will reign over you will claim as his rights: He will take your sons and make them serve with his chariots and horses, and they will run in front of his chariots. Some he will assign to be commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and others to plow his ground and reap his harvest, and still others to make weapons of war and equipment for his chariots. He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. He will take the best of your fields and vineyards and olive groves and give them to his attendants. He will take a tenth of your grain and of your vintage and give it to his officials and attendants. Your male and female servants and the best of your cattle and donkeys he will take for his own use. He will take a tenth of your flocks, and you yourselves will become his slaves. When that day comes, you will cry out for relief from the king you have chosen, but the Lord will not answer you in that day.”
But the people refused to listen to Samuel. “No!” they said. “We want a king over us. Then we will be like all the other nations, with a king to lead us and to go out before us and fight our battles.”

1 Samuel 8:10-20

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Elementary level thread deserves simple elementary answer; unless u enjoy being controlled on the verge of masochism, answer should b obvious. Question Everything.

·
6,609 Posts
Maybe in emergency times, like this year with the Covid and bushfire crises (and I am talking about all levels of government here, state, federal and local).
But generally they only act for self serving and political reasons.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The majority of people in power are sociopaths.

Literally. It's not a claim.

Most people in power, people seeking power, are sociopaths.

And the majority are self serving.

They do NOT have society's best interests at heart.

Sadly, it often takes a sociopath mindset/mentality to attain power.

The problem is, ask 1000 people on the streets if gov acts in your best interest, MOST would say no...

They feel something is off about it.

But they don't care enough.

Because things take care of itself. One way or another.

If you care, you take over more responsibility, which most don't want.

And then you have millions of yes-men.

Like @swiss_tennisgod for example
There is truth here, although it’s not my preferred framing. The risks you cite are real. I would encourage you to read the book I cited, and other works by these authors. Robust dispersed institutions are the only real way to restrain the powerful.

Reactions: Budadiii

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Maybe in emergency times, like this year with the Covid and bushfire crises (and I am talking about all levels of government here, state, federal and local).
But generally they only act for self serving and political reasons.
Actually it is worse in emergency times...

If you let governments break (circumvent) laws/ constitutions in an emergency, they will create an emergency to break laws and gain greater power.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts