Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In honor of none of my favorite threads on the now dufunct Fametracker forums (R.I.P.) I have seached here and haven't found a similar thread- so I hope that I am not replicating anything. The rules are just list some CDs that you think others should listen to and give a brief explanation of the CDs. Here goes:

Doves Lost Souls Beautiful atmospheric work. But still gets a groove on. (Also recommend their next CDs Last Broadcast and Some Cities.

Wire Pink Flag I can still not understand why this album is not more heralded. Great album from the punk era. But not typical punk- these guys had brains, as evidenced by their lyrics. And every song sounds different. For all of your runners- it's a great album to add to your Ipod for your runs. Sometimes holds the title as my favorite album.

Radiohead Kid A Okay- I know this is a chiche. And a big so what to those hipsters who say liking this is pretentious. A wonderful album.The National Anthem is one of the best songs that I have ever seen in concert. This album reminds me of cold weather.

De La Soul Three Feet High and Rising Took rap out of the normal bounds and made it more- hate to say it- "artistic." Fun, fun, fun.

The Stills Logic Will Break Your Heart Fun pop with great lyrics. Part of the group of bands from Montreal.

Arcade Fire Funeral Also from Montrel (along with the Dears and others who I don't have room to recommend ...must say though the lead singer is from Texas.) Very different and pretty- they like the strings. Great lyrics. Saw them twice this weekend - at a pre-Ausitn City Limts Show and at ACL- and they were awesome.

Sigur Ros ágætis byrjun Just flat out beautiful. They sing in a mixture of Icelandinc and a made up/folk lanuage but it does not even matter if you don't understand the language. If you ever can see them in concert can not recommend them highly enough.

Television Marquee Moon - One of those albums that you have to give about three tries and then you love it. Some of the best guitar work ever. One of the first bands to play at CBGSs but they are by no means punk. Great, meandering stuff.

Richard Hell and the Voidoids Blank Generation Another "punk" album (sorry). But great lyrics and goes way beyond 3-chords. Blank Generation is just a song that applies to youth no matter what year you were born in.

Stone Roses Stone Roses Swirrling,beautiful stuff. Still sounds as wondrful now as now as when I did hear it 16 years earlier when it first came out when I was 11.

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
-Tracy Chapman's self titled album. you should listen to it because it's awesome. most people know the songs "fast car" and "talkin' bout a revolution" but the whole cd is great.

-Toni Braxton's secrets- it's the best breakup album ever.

-john mayer's room 4 squares

-The Lion King soudtrack- because it's the best disney movie ever and the soundtrack is great.

-all of michael jackson's albums and a bunch of other stuff i can't think of right now

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
PaulieM said:
-all of michael jackson's albums and a bunch of other stuff i can't think of right now
Paulie :smooch: you are the bestest

may I add

ABBA - ABBA - Gold: Greatest Hits (everyones a closeted ABBA fan admit it)

Dido - No Angel

GrandadBob - Waltzes for Weirdoes

Radiohead - Ok Computer

And everything by faithless :D

Reactions: ZaZaGook

·
Banned
14,727 Posts
Tool: undertow (for those angry days)

John Digweed: Global Underground Hong Kong... for those who like to boogie to deep basslines

Sasha: Airdrawndagger... a beautiful mixture of atmospheric ambient grooves, trance beats, and some eighties synth to boot

Radiohead: Kid A, some pretty experimental stuff on this album, absolutely great

Fugees: Refugee Camp, hip hop at its purest

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Blowe said:
Sasha: Airdrawndagger... a beautiful mixture of atmospheric ambient grooves, trance beats, and some eighties synth to boot
:wavey: I might have to check it out, I love House and some trance music

Sidenote, why is my avatar still not showing :(

·
Banned
14,727 Posts
oneandonlyhsn said:
:wavey: I might have to check it out, I love House and some trance music
if you choose only one of my recommendations, that should be the one. IMO it is the single best electronic music album released so far this century

·
Banned
14,727 Posts
Clara Bow said:
Radiohead Kid A Okay- I know this is a chiche. And a big so what to those hipsters who say liking this is pretentious. A wonderful album.The National Anthem is one of the best songs that I have ever seen in concert. This album reminds me of cold weather.
sorry Clara Bow I missed this when I read through your post, but I guess great minds think alike :)

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Blowe said:
if you choose only one of my recommendations, that should be the one. IMO it is the single best electronic music album released so far this century
Okay, actually I'm in love with Grandadbobs- MMmnn, City Approach and Let's Sick On The Decks right now I never get bored of listening to the tracks

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Aqualung - just got the CD today, it's good.
Foo Fighters - Best of You (both CDs) they're WONDERFUL! i never take them out of my car CD player.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
O by Damien Rice -- He has such a wonderful voice :hearts: He doesn't sing like Idol show winners should, but it's unique and it's addictive. His words are honest and the way he sings carries emotion. I just can't stop listening to it

:inlove:

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
adelaide said:
O by Damien Rice -- He has such a wonderful voice :hearts: He doesn't sing like Idol show winners should, but it's unique and it's addictive. His words are honest and the way he sings carries emotion. I just can't stop listening to it

:inlove:
Damien Rice is awesome, and when I first heard his songs I thought he was female. Very splendid voice

·
Registered
462 Posts
GG ALLIN - Hated In The Nation
A punk legend from the 80's/early 90's who makes all these so-called punk bands of today look like total pussies. Apparently his live shows rarely lasted more than 20 minutes before he got arrested for his on-stage antics (which included exposing himself, eating his own shit, shooting up).

BOREDOMS - Pop Tatari
Japanese avant-punk slice and dice wackiness. Some of the song titles include: 'Nice B-O-R-E Guy & Boyoyo Touch', 'I Am Cola', 'Boredom with God on Noise Boretafari', 'Okinawa Rasta Beef Mockin Fuzz 2', ... you get the picture.

COIL - Love's Secret Domain
Apparently this was one of the albums that helped give birth to the genre of intelligent dance music (Aphex Twin, Autechre, etc.). I would probably describe this album as dark and sensual.

MILES DAVIS - Sketches of Spain
Beautiful, laid back, charming. One of Miles Davis' many classic albums.

FAITH NO MORE - Angel Dust
Faith No More's magnum opus. An amazing album which, unfortunately, inspired a whole lot of very shitty albums by the likes of Korn, Deftones, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Papa Roach etc etc. The first and only decent nu-metal album ever made.

DIAMANDA GALAS - Plague Mass
Some say Galas is the bride of Satan, but I think she's an angel. This is one of her many albums that are based around the theme of AIDS and the ignorance and fear that surrounded it in the 80's and early 90's. Galas is a truly virtuosic vocalist and a confronting artist.

KRONOS QUARTET - Nuevo
Absolutely gorgeous renditions of Mexican music by this string quartet from San Francisco.

LAIBACH - Opus Dei
A militaristic/industrial sounding album, which was a sort of commentary on fascism, I think. They do this fantastic cover of Queen's 'One Vision', sung in German, which highlights the Nazi overtones of that song.

MR BUNGLE - Disco Volante
This was the album that introduced me to the whole experimental/avant-garde scene, and I've never turned back. Really hard to describe this album, it goes through so many different genres - sludge metal, cartoon music, Arabian techno, death metal, opera, rockabilly, children's music... , sometimes in the space of one song.

NAKED CITY - Grand Guignol
Naked City were an avant supergroup from the late 80's/early 90's which included John Zorn, Yamatsuka Eye (vocalist from the Boredoms) and guitar legend Bill Frisell. A band way ahead of the their time.

PARMEGIANI - Violostries
This Italian dude is one of many composers who make music by chopping up bits of sound and screwing around with them. A lot of it sounds quite spooky and eerie, and it's great to listen to late at night whilst playing Halo on the XBox.

QUEEN - Greatest Hits I
Good cheesy fun. I went through this whole mad Queen phase in my early teens, and even now I still like their 70's stuff, though I'm not so keen on their 80's music now.

XENAKIS - La Legende D'eer
An electronic work which is fantastic to listen with headphones. I'm not really sure what this work is about - possibly the evolution of life on Earth?

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
Kaki King - Legs to Make Us Stronger Kaki's truly an acoustic guitar virtuoso. :hearts: I still think it's sheer fate that I came across her on David Letterman one night (I never watch Letterman, which is the miracle ;)). I'm still trying to figure out how exactly do you name a song with no words in it. :shrug:

Anna Nalick - Wreck of the Day I'm a little disappointed now that more and more people are discovering her, because it means she isn't just mine anymore. :sad: Her voice and style remind me so much of Dolores O'Riordan from the Cranberries, which isn't surprising considering that she grew up listening to them.

Frou Frou - Details I've heard that Immi is going solo now, so I'll definitely have to look out for her cd. :) I love her voice though, because she doesn't have the type singer's voice, and their style is so...odd.... lol Psychobabble is my favorite song and I'm still not sure why. lol Maybe it's the Arabic vibe that it has. :)

Norah Jones - I love both her cds, but I think I like the songs that aren't on her cds a lot more. Moon Song definitely is my favorite by far, but I still have a lot of the songs from her cds as my favorites. :) For as well as her record sales are and her 8 Grammies now, I still kind of feel like she's unheralded by the mainstream genres. Oh well, it's the true talent that goes unnoticed anyway. ;)

Gavin DeGraw - Chariot, Stripped I love the Stripped version of his cd so much more than the original. I just love that raw sound. lol I figured that More Than Anyone would probably be the song I would want to have at my wedding as my first dance. lol

Keri Noble - Fearless My friend came upon her music by chance one day and got me hooked as well. lol Her style is reminiscent of Sarah McLachlan's, but I believe a lot more emotional. She has a little description of each song on her cd that tells where she had the inspiration for that song, so when you listen to her songs you know where her heart was when she wrote it, and it understand it that much more.

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
missbungle said:
XENAKIS - La Legende D'eer
An electronic work which is fantastic to listen with headphones. I'm not really sure what this work is about - possibly the evolution of life on Earth?
:rolls: Never thought I'd see Xenakis in this thread. :cool: very cool

The piece is from a parable in Plato's Republic. The character Eer goes to the underworld and back. :)

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Michael Jackson - Thriller. Best album of all time. Without question.

Queen - Greatest Hits 1. My favourite band of all time, so a collection of their best songs has to be on my list. There are a few omissions unfortunately which are on the other 2 Greatest Hits albums they have.

U2 - The Joshua Tree. U2 at their very best.

Michael Jackson - Off The Wall. I like Michael Jackson, if you hadn't already realised :p

Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head. Not a bad song on the album.

Greenday - International Superhits (Missing some of their good recent stuff, but good nevertheless.)

Muse - Showbiz. British rock band, don't think they've quite cracked the S
tates but I think they're great.

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand. Very unique kind of rock, you either like them or hate them.

The Beatles - One. So many good songs on the album. My taste in music is quite varied, I like a mixture of old and new.

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
Sol Apollo said:

Norah Jones - I love both her cds, but I think I like the songs that aren't on her cds a lot more. Moon Song definitely is my favorite by far, but I still have a lot of the songs from her cds as my favorites. :) For as well as her record sales are and her 8 Grammies now, I still kind of feel like she's unheralded by the mainstream genres. Oh well, it's the true talent that goes unnoticed anyway. ;)

Gavin DeGraw - Chariot, Stripped I love the Stripped version of his cd so much more than the original. I just love that raw sound. lol I figured that More Than Anyone would probably be the song I would want to have at my wedding as my first dance. lol

love both :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
MisterQ said:
:rolls: Never thought I'd see Xenakis in this thread. :cool: very cool

The piece is from a parable in Plato's Republic. The character Eer goes to the underworld and back. :)
:wavey: Thanks! Is there any other Xenakis you would recommend?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts