Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(an Original idea by sfar.)

Welcome to the MTF Best Song Game!​

71st edition: LEGO (Slowburn songs/songs building Up)

How to play?

Phase I: Send me a song via PM (preferably a YouTube link) before the deadline specified in the thread's title.
When this phase ends, the list of songs will be posted, without revealing which song was selected by whom.

Phase II: Vote for your favourite songs via PM.
<28 songs: Direct Final, where you vote for 12 songs (see scoring format below) if there are 22-27 songs.
28-40 songs: Semi-Finals, followed by a Final containing the 10 most voted songs from each SF.
After (each part of) this phase, I will reveal the votes, the points tally, and the player behind each song. After the SF, only the eliminated songs will be revealed.

The song with the most points wins!

Deadline for Sending a Song: Tuesday, 25/01/2018, 09:00 PM
GMT(GMT to Your Local Time Conversion -- TimeBie)

Deadline for Voting: TBA

Ceremony: TBA
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rules:

0. Anyone can participate

1. The theme of Game #71 is LEGO, chosen by Rob&Stephen

Rob & Stephen said:
Lego it is then. We choose a song that starts slowly or quietly and builds up to a great finish.

2. You cannot send a song selected in a previous edition. One of the purposes of this game is to discover new music. For a list of the previously selected songs, check Post #3. A different version of the same song performed by a different artist/band is allowed.

3. If the same song is sent by 2+ different players, the 2nd+ will be asked to choose another one.

4. Voting format differs depending on the number of players. Please check below and when the manager releases the songlist:

28+ players/songs (semi-finals): You have to vote for exactly ten songs from SF 1, ten songs from SF 2 and ten songs from Finals following SFs, in order of preference, according to the following format:
Code:
12 points: favourite song
10 points: 2nd favourite song
 8 points: 3rd favourite song
 7 points: 4th favourite song 
 6 points: ...
 5 points: ...
 4 points: ...
 3 points: ...
 2 points: ...
 1 point:  10th favourite song

In case of Direct Finals with 22-27 songs, you have to vote for twelve songs in this format:
Code:
14 points: favourite song
12 points: 2nd favourite song
10 points: 3rd favourite song
 9 points: 4th favourite song
 8 points: ...
 7 points: ... 
 6 points: ...
 5 points: ...
 4 points: ...
 3 points: ...
 2 points: ...
 1 point:  12th favourite song
For Direct Finals with less than 22 songs, use the first format (i.e. same as SFs; just pick the best ten songs; 1 to 12 points).

5. You cannot vote for your own song.

6. In case of SFs, eliminated semifinalists can and should vote in the Final.

7. You are allowed to change your submission twice, and your votes once!

8. If you do not vote, your song will receive penalty points, depending on the situation: 3 points in the semifinals if you only vote in the half in which your song is featured, 12 points if you don't vote in your SF or Final. In case of Direct Finals with 22-27 songs, the penalty is 14 points.

9. If 2 or more songs are tied in points, the tie is broken according to the following:
- a song that has received a penalty loses the tie to a song that didn't;
- the song with most top points received wins the tie; if still tied the number of 2nd highest points received is compared and so on until the tie is broken (or not);
- random.org

10. The winner of the current edition can either choose a theme or propose several for the other players to discuss. If the winner does not want to exercise his right, the community will come up with a theme. In any case, all players are allowed to make suggestions.

11. The manager has to send their votes to MWW, not later than 48 hours before the respective voting deadline (of final and semifinal), else the manager's votes will not count.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Other informations:

1. There MAY BE a musically themed interview via PM, which will be sent after the Semifinal ceremony. The answers to it will be revealed during the Final ceremony.

1st Edition | 2nd Edition | 3rd Edition | 4th Edition | 5th Edition
6th Edition | 7th Edition | 8th Edition | 9th Edition | 10th Edition
11th Edition | 12th Edition | 13th Edition | 14th Edition | 15th Edition
16th Edition | 17th Edition | 18th Edition | 19th Edition | 20th Edition
21st Edition | 22nd Edition | 23rd Edition | 24th Edition | 25th Edition
26th Edition | 27th Edition | 28th Edition | 29th Edition | 30th Edition
31st Edition | 32nd Edition | 33rd Edition | 34th Edition | 35th Edition
36th Edition | 37th Edition | 38th Edition | 39th Edition | 40th Edition
41st Edition | 42nd Edition | 43rd Edition | 44th Editionhttps://www.menstennisforums.com/3-non-tennis/859953-best-song-game-44-drug-music-%7C-congrats-yellow-grass-gong-master-builder.html | 45th Edition
46th Edition | 47th Edition | 48th Edition | 49th Edition | 50th Edition
51st Edition | 52nd Edition | 53rd Edition | 54th Edition | 55th Edition
56th Edition | 57th Edition | 58th Edition | 59th Edition |60th Edition
61st Edition | 62nd Edition | 63rd Edition | 64th Edition | 65th Edition
66th Edition | 67th Edition | 68th Edition | 69th Edition | 70th Edition

For managers:

Scoring template with DF support
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdxfjv7jfk...t).xlsm?dl=0

·
52,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: MTF Best Song Game #71 - LEGO (buildup songs), Submit songs till Jan 25th 21:00 G

Players (22)

Aaron Kstein*
Ace Pounder
Awka Liwen* (error in votes)
babspider*
Chris Kuerten*
citizen_insane
Featherer
grig_shap*
HoorayBeer*
Ilkae*
Ilovetheblues_86*
JMG
La Vie En Rose*
MWW*
Nathaliia
Nepoznati Knez*
Pantelija*
Proudserb
Scarecrows*
Sham Kay Adams
Synesthetic
yellow grass*

*=voted

·
52,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: MTF Best Song Game #71 - LEGO (buildup songs), Submit songs till Jan 25th 21:00 G

Previously Used Song List (cannot re-nominate these)

Previously used songs

Past Winners

·
52,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Song Playlist

Click on the blue playlist bar to get the full playlist.

Boris - You Were Holding An Umbrella
Butric - Up
Paul Gonsalves - Body and Soul
Milla Jovovich - Mezinka
Yes - Roundabout
Harry Belafonte - Hava Nageela
Indochine - Stef II
Smoke City - Underwater Love
Soft Cell - Torch
ZHU - Nightcrawler
Mutemath - Stall Out
Rozil - Fourplay
Zad Moultaka - Ohrub
PSMS - Hell's Kitchen
Sabine Devieilhe & Marianne Crebassa - Lakme's Flower Duet
Anna von Hausswolff - Ugly and Vengeful
Agitation Free - You Play For Us
Alceu Valença - Vou Danado pra Catende
Dick Hyman Chorus and Orchestra - When You're Smiling
Ski Patrol - Agent Orange
Ulrika Spacek - Victorian Acid
DJ Shadow - You Can't Go Home Again

Voting: remember you must vote for your favourite 12 songs of 22 (not 10).
The point distribution is as follows: 14 for most liked song, then 12 for the 2nd most liked, 10 for the 3rd most liked, then 9, 8, 7...1 pt to the 12th most liked song).

Voting deadline: February 9th, 10PM GMT.

·
21,308 Posts

Does this count?

·
Registered
3,701 Posts

Thanks for managing MWW. I was going to volunteer my services, but I'm still hesitant due to my fear of a colossal f*** up of great proportions

·
52,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

I will purposely increase the voting phase length in order for people to grasp the building up process (and also the fact that I do anticipate some people may send rather long songs 7m+ songs). Of course not all songs need to be that long. The idea is there should be some musical buildup within the period. I also called it "slowburn" because it's likely you may not appreciate the songs at first, but afterwards.

Probably one of my favourite examples is from the song Ace Pounder submitted a long time ago:

wShdBJ8sJVQ

And a couple I submitted before:

UtmRs3CtlNc
OKRJfIPiJGY

·
Registered
6,546 Posts

Got the impression that the song should build up in intensity, or progress more clearly into "an energetic finish" or something like that... Not sure though, but if so, the Catherine Ribeiro one seems to fit right in (clearly picks up tempo/intensifies towards the end), but I'm uncertain about the other two. @Rob & Stephen, comments / advice?

edit. To be specific, I got the impression an energetic finish was key, i.e. the song doesn't necessarily have to build up progressively from start to finish, but should only turn it up in the end. But it can as well build up throughout.

·
Super Moderator
7,350 Posts

·
Registered
3,937 Posts

Thanks for managing MWW. I was going to volunteer my services, but I'm still hesitant due to my fear of a colossal f*** up of great proportions
:lol: my thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts

I will purposely increase the voting phase length in order for people to grasp the building up process (and also the fact that I do anticipate some people may send rather long songs 7m+ songs). Of course not all songs need to be that long. The idea is there should be some musical buildup within the period. I also called it "slowburn" because it's likely you may not appreciate the songs at first, but afterwards.

Probably one of my favourite examples is from the song Ace Pounder submitted a long time ago:

wShdBJ8sJVQ

And a couple I submitted before:

[

ytb]UtmRs3CtlNc[/ytb]
OKRJfIPiJGY
Hmm, none of those 3 fulfill Lego requirement for me. First one just picks up tempo steadily, while other two have a bit of easy intro but then go to regular verse/chorus structure and end up softly with no distinct finish.
I think to fit this theme song needs accented finish and maybe forego verse/chorus completely? At least have soft intro and bombastic end part? If not, ok, but that basically means that any song with a quiet intro will do.

·
Super Moderator
7,350 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how the three songs Matt shared would work for this game. All of them are lacking the big finish.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts

I didnt know we started a new thread lol

·
52,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Hmm, none of those 3 fulfill Lego requirement for me. First one just picks up tempo steadily, while other two have a bit of easy intro but then go to regular verse/chorus structure and end up softly with no distinct finish.
I think to fit this theme song needs accented finish and maybe forego verse/chorus completely? At least have soft intro and bombastic end part? If not, ok, but that basically means that any song with a quiet intro will do.
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how the three songs Matt shared would work for this game. All of them are lacking the big finish.
Admittedly, the Bela Lugosi song should have finished about 2 minutes earlier perhaps.

:secret: I always thought the orgasmic finish was a little overrated, the foreplay deserves more attention :boxing:

I will wait for @Rob & Stephen's response.

I prefer to have something intensifying from the middle rather than just an orgasmic finish. IMO most rather long songs over 6 minutes never tend to end on a really 'high' note. this is because the climax generally is achieved about 60-80% into the song and then tends to peeter out thereafter, as a long song needs something to hold it together and maintain certain interest in the meat (building the lego castle). The cadence period is then a little depressed in order to relax the listener having gone through the meat (though I prefer to think that these are nuanced by additional layers/textures to ease the finish). Textural buildup can sometimes be equally effective to me as having explosive finishes.

Here's an example, the bit right after the final chorus might seem like filler to some, not particularly explosive, but what's happening is dynamic and progressive texture buildup, with additional variation bar by bar of activity.

4CkjIHLp8E0

The exception to the rule are those that use reprisal finishes about 85% of the way into the piece (i.e. a variation on a main/opening theme) which usually occurs after a release of tension a little earlier, of which I can think of this song, as well as some well known classical pieces:

VllseHmQzds

If you are after dynamic finish by way of intensity or spiked activity, a 4-5 minute song is probably more achievable for this, which means many pop songs would work, they just supercharge the chorus as outro with pizzazz and that's your big ending.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts

:secret: I always thought the orgasmic finish was a little overrated, the foreplay deserves more attention :boxing:
Perv :lol:
I prefer to have something intensifying from the middle rather than just an orgasmic finish.
We have to combine what we prefer to fit the theme. Without special end part that ain't it. :shrug:
If you are after dynamic finish by way of intensity or spiked activity, a 4-5 minute song is probably more achievable for this, which means many pop songs would work, they just supercharge the chorus as outro with pizzazz and that's your big ending.
Cheep way out, eh?
This kind of fits supercharging chorus...kind of. I don't want to send another Maynard's band tho.

This theme is a doozy. :unsure:

·
Registered
3,674 Posts

Well, @La Vie En Rose and I did mention some songs in the BSG 70 thread about a "Lego" musical effect, like Ravel's Bolero and some songs from King Crimson that I think fit the theme. Though what @babspider said about a layering effect of music, instruments and voices could also be used for this game.
Let's just have a lot of fun with this game.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts

Does this count?
Nice try.

I posted this in BSG 54.

PnZPHiSOP_0

I found it while researching the band for the Male Artists theme. :sport:

1 - 20 of 258 Posts