Premium Member
4,434 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts

·
Registered
13,100 Posts
It's not a bad list of songs, after a couple of listens there is only 1 I truly do not like.
Curious to know which song it is :p
Lots of vintage songs in this one.

Usually a good classical artist song can smash the opposition with the "big talent from the past" card ( we had a recent winner with those traits with that jewish-yemenian singer), but I dont think we had so many artists that fit into this cathegory in just one edition.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Don't have time to read it, but this is the reference from which that quote came from:
Kenny, Dianna Theadora (March 22, 2015). "Music To Die For: How Genre Affects Popular Musicians' Life Expectancy". The Conversation. Retrieved September 9,2019.

I suspect that it is only hip-hop or gangsta rap artists, and such like. It's not like anybody has done in Cliff Richard for his music!
I meant professional hip-hop artists, not professional in general. There are (or were?) plenty of hip-hop musicians that are also gang members lurking at the edge of amateur/professional, that's why I'm asking.

·
Registered
22,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I meant professional hip-hop artists, not professional in general. There are (or were?) plenty of hip-hop musicians that are also gang members lurking at the edge of amateur/professional, that's why I'm asking.
The research is a bit vague, it also lists hip-hop and rap seperately even though rap is a part of hip-hop

The ones on the wiki list I recognize were all 100% in the music business, even though some of them had a history in crime. It's hard to fully get away from the environment you grew up in, but all those guys were basically shot over nothing. Big L was my favorite rapper as a kid and he died because the killers mistook him for his brother...

·
Registered
11,017 Posts
Hip-hop is a relatively young genre, so it's only a matter of time before its veterans start dying of old age or lifestyle complications in large enough numbers to rapidly reduce that percentage.

In 1980, the percentage of rock musicians who'd died from drug abuse and vehicle accidents was probably much higher than it is today (and doubtless still much higher than it is for the general population).

·
Registered
13,100 Posts
TIER DON BUDGE - multi-champion

Dudu Pukwana - Mongezi Feza : Sonia -
Senay - Dalkavuk (Baris K Edit) -
Jimmy Campbell - Half Baked -
TOGO Music -- Bella Bellow- Rokia

TIER ARTHUR ASHE - very strong player, with some tough opposition

Jupiter Apple - Act not Surprised
Marie Laforet -El Cabrestero
Delia Derbyshire - Pot Au Feu (1968)
Jean Adebambo - Paradise -
Barış Manço - Dereboyu Kavaklar

TIER VITAS GERULAITIS - strong player, with very tough opposition

Orlann Divo - Beleza Não Vai Embora (1965)
Minnie Riperton - Completeness
Patrick Juvet - I love America
Dr John's Best Ever version of "Such a Night" piano blues
Giacinto Scelsi: Ohoi (1966)
Charles Mingus - Moanin'

TIER MATHIEU MONTCOURT/FEDERICO LUZZI -

Proof - Life
SOPHIE - BIPP
Bathory - The Land
Nina Simone - Baltimore (Official Audio)

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts

·
Registered
13,100 Posts
Maybe Sophie could be one tier ahead, i liked it experimentally. Maybe a Jerome Golmard tier.
In all honesty no bad song in this pkaylist at all.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Sorry guys! I haven't been able to participate lately. My personal life has been topsy turvy, and there's a lot on my plate professionally as well. Plus, the covid situation in our region is woeful. So, it's kinda hard to commit to this. But I do miss you guys.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
This game is MUCH BETTER than Remixes on TF. :)

·
Registered
11,017 Posts
Pretty good playlist so far (apart from one song, but thankfully for me, my joyous life-filled song came on immediately after for a mood boost).

At least one good song has pretty bad audio quality on YT (I'm looking at you, El Cabrestero), so I'll try to seek out a better recording before judging.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority here, I didn't like the playlist that much. Last edition was way better

·
Premium Member
7,840 Posts
Sorry guys! I haven't been able to participate lately. My personal life has been topsy turvy, and there's a lot on my plate professionally as well. Plus, the covid situation in our region is woeful. So, it's kinda hard to commit to this. But I do miss you guys.
Take care Naz, and stay strong. ✊

Hope we'll see you around for #100.

101 - 120 of 204 Posts