1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
21,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
an original idea by sfar.

94th edition: "Altered States of Consciousness"

Theme chosen by Droog:

My idea for a theme was 'Altered States of Consciousness' which would be based around altered states of consciousness that could arise from drugs, mental illness, meditation, adrenaline etc.
How to play?
It's very easy! Every game, the winner of the previous edition chooses a theme. Every player sends a song to the manager via PM (don't make it public!) that meets the criteria and after a period of time a playlist is created. Then it's all about listening music, picking your favorite songs and sending your votes to the manager. The song with the most points wins!

How long does the game last?
Games usually last around 20 days (8 days for nomination + 12 days for voting phases), so don't worry, there's plenty of time.

1) Songs Submission Phase: Here you choose a song that complies with the game's theme and send a YouTube link to the manager. This phase lasts around 8 days.

(If two or more players happen to send the same song, the manager will accept the first player's choice and request the others to send a different song. All this will be done privately via PM. You are also allowed to change your submission 2 times.)

2) Voting Phase: You'll have around 12 days to listen to the playlist and send the manager your votes.

(The voting format is explained below. You are allowed to change your vote 1 time.)

3) Final Ceremony: This is where the manager reveals who submitted each song and how many points it got! The ceremony takes place shortly or soon after Phase 2 ends.

(Remember, dates and time will be provided by the manager but they are not set in stone. If it's needed, the manager might change them with previous notice.)

How to vote?
After listening to the playlist, you send your favorite songs via PM to the manager in one of the following formats. Note that you can't vote for your own song. The voting format depends on how many people play:

1) If 27 players or fewer participate, you vote for 10 songs ranked from top to bottom and numbered like this:

Code:
[U]12 Points:[/U] Your favorite song
[U]10 Points:[/U] 2nd favorite song.
[U]8 Points:[/U] 3rd favorite song.
[U]7 Points:[/U] (...)
[U]6 Points:[/U] (...)
[U]5 Points:[/U] (...)
[U]4 Points:[/U] (...)
[U]3 Points:[/U] (...)
[U]2 Points:[/U] (...)
[U]1 Point:[/U] (...)
2) If 28 or more players participate, the manager will host Semifinals. In each Semifinal, you vote for 10 songs as in the previous example. After the semi-finals the manager will publish a list of those songs that have reached the Final and you should vote again. Remember that even if your song doesn't make it through to the Final, you are still allowed and indeed requested to vote in the Final!

What if you don't vote?
If you don't vote, or vote for fewer songs than requested, then you will receive a penalty like this:

1) If you don't vote at all, your song will lose the maximum amount of points. (12 points)

2) If you vote for fewer songs, you will receive penalty points in reverse order of the points awarded (to the songs) in the particular voting format. (9 votes -> 1 point penalty, 8 votes -> 2 points penalty and so on)

Additional info

1)If the same song is sent by more than one player, the manager is supposed to ask the second and further players to choose another song.

2) The manager is required to send her/his own votes to MWW (click here), not later than 48 hours before the respective voting deadline (also in semifinals), else the manager's votes will not count.

3) Submission & vote changes: you are allowed to change your submission 2 times, and your vote 1 time.

4) Tiebreak criteria (for songs tied in points after the voting):
1st = amount of sets of top points received. 2nd (if still tied) = amount of 2nd highest points received. And so on.

5) The ideal duration for a 'midsized' BSG edition is 20-21 days: 8 for Nominations, 12 for Voting, 1 for transition or extensions.
The manager is however free to move the dates or extend that duration quite a bit.

6) Late votes: It's common practice in BSG to count late votes until the actual start of the results revelation (or Ceremony).
That could make things tough for the manager though. It's alright if the manager announces (shortly) in advance that the deadline will be strict, but then really no late votes can be accepted (as situations where the manager can arbitrarily decide if a vote counts, could be abused for results manipulation).

7) Here are some helpful links for new managers: Spreadsheet template and Previous Winners List.

8) "Best Song Game" is a simple and catchy label, but one of the purposes of this game is to discover new music.

Past Editions (refer to BSG archive forum)

·
Registered
21,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
21,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Participants (20)

acacacacademy
Awka Liwen
babspider
bilentsob
Chris Kuerten
Droog
enlightenedth
guitarra
hammett
Ilkae

Ilovetheblues_86
JMG
MWW
Nepoznati Knez
Redolent
Rob & Stephen

Synesthetic
TheBigFourFTW
viva-rafa
yellow grass

Bold = Voted​

·
Registered
21,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Songs

Lou Reed - Caroline Says I
Dead Can Dance - Cantara
Soul Captain Band - Hypnoosiin
Dr. Octagon - Blue Flowers
Unknown To The I - Drab Majesty
Antoine - Un Éléphant Me Regarde
deadmau5 feat. Rob Swire - Monophobia
Rikhter - Phiom Enhah
Raza Ali Qadri & Others - Tere Ishq Nachaya
Talking Heads - Drugs
Alemayehu Eshete - Alteleyeshegnem
The Amboy Dukes - Journey To The Center Of The Mind
Protonica - Final Steps
Apparat - Heroist
Karnivool - Umbra
David Lynch - Ghost of Love
Weakling - This Entire Fucking Battlefield
of Montreal - Lysergic Bliss
Elysian Fields - Alms For Your Love
Waste of Space Orchestra - The Shamanic Version

Playlist

·
Registered
21,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will drop acid before the ceremony

·
Registered
21,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think letting the voting last until January 5th or something would be best considering the holiday season

·
Registered
21,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scrolling through my music like too weird for BSG, too weird for BSG, hey this might wor- nah too weird for BSG

·
Registered
21,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did anybody say drugs?

Does it live up to the hype? I was watching Party Monster the other day, cult classic with Macaulay Culkin and Seth Green based on a true story

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I guess the theme also includes alcohol?

I'm just waking up from a weekend long party and my consciousness surely feel altered

·
Registered
21,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess the theme also includes alcohol?

I'm just waking up from a weekend long party and my consciousness surely feel altered
Of all the drugs I've done alcohol is the most terrible one

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

·
Registered
21,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
13,037 Posts
Does it live up to the hype? I was watching Party Monster the other day, cult classic with Macaulay Culkin and Seth Green based on a true story

Its okayish.
Its good that they kept it as a miniseries of 7 episodes because otherwise there wouldnt be much history to tell.
It has good scenery and figurines, acting is okay too although the world/script seems a bit simplistic and expected.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Its okayish.
Its good that they kept it as a miniseries of 7 episodes because otherwise there wouldnt be much history to tell.
It has good scenery and figurines, acting is okay too although the world/script seems a bit simplistic and expected.
I stopped watching a couple of episodes before the end - there was a boring kind of lull - and then my partner told me that the last episode was incredible and I had no idea what I'd missed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,037 Posts
I stopped watching a couple of episodes before the end - there was a boring kind of lull - and then my partner told me that the last episode was incredible and I had no idea what I'd missed :rolleyes:
What I dont like is the idea that the girl is almost unbeatable until the top.
Yes, she loses somes games in the series, but in the end is almost like her record is like 350-4 or something like that lol.
We know that even the best chess players nowadays like Magnus Carlsen might lose some matches here and there, so its expectable that someone very good might experience some losses during the junior years.
but yeah, in the end is not a realistic series, is just entertainment, and I think that solely based on entertainment (and production, ofc) is a decent series.

·
Registered
21,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will nominate some BSGers in pop con just because priorities
I won one year when I was very active in the chat thread, couldn't be arsed anymore after that

·
Registered
26,125 Posts
Its okayish.
But the series had a lot of 60s music in it, did you save something for BSG? At least one song at little view numbers.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts