Mens Tennis Forums banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Congrats @Ilovetheblues_86

Great managing by @Awka Liwen

Congrats on the minus score trophy to @NextGenKing taking the trophy from me from last game.

A multi pack of Corona will be getting sent to all of you first class.

View attachment 355374
View attachment 355375
The Great Coronaholio. Bring him your TP.

From the comments:

"This only took 25+ years to become relatable 🙈 Now we’re all little Cornholios in desperate search of TP for our bungholes.. 🧻🧟"

LOL 😄

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,719 Posts
I did not realise we were getting coronavirus education till halfway through the ceremony.

A couple in isolation won :)

Happy to get 3rd, I honestly didn't even expect top 8 with the competition but it's definitely one of my favorite 2020 album releases. Thanks to all the voters.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thank you all for the votes, especially @yellow grass and iltb! And thank you @Awka Liwen for managing! I'm happy with my 2nd place, the competition was fierce.

"Acabou chorare", the album I took "Mistério do Planeta" from, was elected number one in "The 100 Greatest Albums of Brazilian Music" by Rolling Stone. It's widely considered a masterpiece. If you have the chance, I recommend listening to the full album - you can find it on youtube.

The "Novos Baianos" have a curious history. In the 70's they formed a community and lived, along with their families, in a tiny house together, using drugs and making music.

There is a video of them playing Mistério do Planeta in that house, live, I'll try to find it.

They are my favourite band ❤

·
Registered
108 Posts
I did not realise we were getting coronavirus education till halfway through the ceremony.

A couple in isolation won :)

Happy to get 3rd, I honestly didn't even expect top 8 with the competition but it's definitely one of my favorite 2020 album releases. Thanks to all the voters.
I thought your song was going to win! I loved it. I was actually listening to the full Tom Misch album yesterday.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Happy that I got 4th place! A good BSG comeback return by me :) Also really happy that my favourite song of this edition (Di Melo - Conformopolis) which I gave 12 points to won it!

Reactions: babspider

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,719 Posts
I thought your song was going to win! I loved it. I was actually listening to the full Tom Misch album yesterday.
It is a very refreshing album. I've been consumed with that Nightrider single for a while now, the dreamer I am. I call this kind of thing soundscaping, appeal to imagination using sounds. The drum work by Yussef Dayes is quite underrated too.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Me and Barbara will lose to the Radiohead song lol.
Have you read their (Misch & Dayes) interview, or just thought this had a Radiohead vibe? Good catch. Just read one interview where they mention Radiohead being an influence for this project. Listening to Festival again... yes, the drums have a Radiohead type sound/programming and then the eerie/drowsy 'oohs and aahs'. 'In Rainbows' type vibe.

Tom: That’s the thing about collaborating.

Yussef: Yeah, I’m into a lot of jazz, obviously. My dad’s Jamaican, so reggae music too, but at the same time I’m into bands like Talk Talk and Radiohead and just bringing those different elements of what I’m into in this record really takes it into a different direction.

Tom: I think the collaboration does work well because we do have similar influences, but we also have different ones. We agree on certain things, but some things I wouldn’t have done without Yussef. I reckon he’s probably into darker stuff, and that brought out a darker side in me. I do have that in me; people just think that because Geography is so summery, I don’t have that in me. Collaboration brings out different things.

So who were you listening to during the creation of the album? Who were you channelling?

Tom:
We were channelling so many different things, and it was very day to day, like what’s happening in the studio right now: Yussef’s playing these drums, that sounds cool, I’m gonna try adding some reverb or some other stuff here. It’s like an experiment. I think we channelled a lot of Radiohead, some ‘80s and ‘70s music, the way they recorded their instruments in that era.

Yussef: Yeah, there were a lot of different influences. Obviously, a lot of hip-hop influences—we’ve got Freddie Gibbs on the “Nightrider” track. We recorded that with a guy called Miles James in his studio, kind of getting that analogue sound. Even Bill Withers was an inspiration. But each track is its own thing—no one track is the same.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts

·
Registered
12,855 Posts
I decided to pick the theme "Love Songs" 😁💚 because its Valentine's day in Brazil next friday.

The rules are basically two:

• Any style of music is allowed (rock, country, rap, noise-rock, whatever), but the song must have lyrics (no instrumentals allowed).
  • It t needs to be related to romantic love, eros. Eros refers to "passionate love" or romantic love. So its forbidden philia, storge or agape love (between family, friends or selfless love (charity).
Hope you dont hate the theme mwahaha.

·
Registered
12,855 Posts
Examples of allowed songs:

In this Queen song some reflections about romantic love are made...

Is not about love itself, but when she sings: "can we talk again", its about flirting, relationship, etc...

EXAMPLE OF A NOT ALLOWED SONG:

(not about love itself, but about missing someone, and it might be your friend called Syd Barrett, so...)

·
Registered
97,269 Posts
I decided to pick the theme "Love Songs" 😁💚 because its Valentine's day in Brazil next friday.

The rules are basically two:

• Any style of music is allowed (rock, country, rap, noise-rock, whatever), but the song must have lyrics (no instrumentals allowed).
  • It t needs to be related to romantic love, eros. Eros refers to "passionate love" or romantic love. So its forbidden philia, storge or agape love (between family, friends or selfless love (charity).
Hope you dont hate the theme mwahaha.
does it have to be addressed at someone or generally about love/eros?

i've sent a few killers on TF now ehh...

·
Registered
12,855 Posts
What if a song is in a non-English language? Are lyrics/ translation obligatory then?
No, just tell the manager why the song is about romantic love.

does it have to be addressed at someone or generally about love/eros?

i've sent a few killers on TF now ehh...
Doesnt need to be adressed, can be about love in general and it is allowed songs about sadness, breakups, euphoria, murdering your ex-husband etc, as long it is associated with romantic love.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts