Mens Tennis Forums banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The next game, was thinking: "Around the world in 20 days" (Jules Verne; 20 based on the default duration of a game)

What I mean by that is that each entry should be from a different country (not necessarily a different language though; just the country of origin of the artist/band). The manager's task is then to post/update the countries that have already been used (whenever someone has joined the game/submitted a song) so people know which are still eligible. This likely also means that if you're looking to submit a song by an artist from US or UK, you should be among the earlier participants.

Perhaps in some cases a band might consist of members from several different countries... I'd probably make it so that in such a case it'd be the country they most identify with (or originated from, i.e. where they kicked off their career).
I ilke this, great idea.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
But that's just the stereotypical cliché equating guitar riffs with 'classical' rock. Too boring and predictable, nothing to discover there.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
TBH, I don't think the Frusciante song fitted the theme at all (didn't like the song either). Anyways, congrats @Ilkae, a great contributor of the game most of the time.
What was your gripe specifically with TWTD (in terms of theme compliance)? I see it pretty much the opposite way as I perceived TWTD to consist of nothing more than a riff (strummed chords) coupled with Frusciante's vocals, and then a guitar solo near the end. One characterization of a riff: "A riff is a recognisable sequence of single notes or chords, usually played on a guitar. A riff is a reasonably short repeated melodic pattern."

Some TWTD tutorials may illustrate it:

edit. Imagine the beginning of the Black Sabbath track without the distortion and you'd have something not too different from TWTD.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
[...]

I like the geographic theme. A variant might be the actual song being about a land or place, or referring to it somehow, not necessarily literally.
Don't mind that variant, but prefer to stick with my initial one. Hoping it would bring about variety and possible regional nuances in sound.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
What was your gripe specifically with TWTD (in terms of theme compliance)? I see it pretty much the opposite way as I perceived TWTD to consist of nothing more than a riff (strummed chords) coupled with Frusciante's vocals, and then a guitar solo near the end. One characterization of a riff: "A riff is a recognisable sequence of single notes or chords, usually played on a guitar. A riff is a reasonably short repeated melodic pattern."

Some TWTD tutorials may illustrate it:

edit. Imagine the beginning of the Black Sabbath track without the distortion and you'd have something not too different from TWTD.
Sorry, what's supposed to be the riff in there? I just hear a chord progression in the background (many songs have the same).

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
But that's just the stereotypical cliché equating guitar riffs with 'classical' rock. Too boring and predictable, nothing to discover there.
If it's boring or not that's just your opinion. We might as well make all themes open, since only a handful of songs in here contained an actual riff.

This is just an observation, I don't give much of a shit about theme compliance.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Sorry, what's supposed to be the riff in there? I just hear a chord progression in the background (many songs have the same).

My POV/understanding: The same strummed chords + a few harmonic notes, and a rhythm pattern is repeated over and over, hence making it a distinct riff, distinguishing it from some other that might be based on that chord progression. A simple riff with its notes and rhythm pattern, but still a riff. Even in that article it says:

In terms of the music itself, the series of notes, chord pattern or musical phrase that is repeated is called a "riff."
Clearly TWTD isn't e.g. Smells like Teen Spirit. On that note, would you say Smells Like Teen Spirit then does or doesn't have a riff (or if it has some riffs, which parts of the song would you define as such)? I was thinking specifically of the opening/chorus, which bear resemblance to TWTD, but which however clearly are distinguishable from it.

edit. In terms of TWTD, I'm talking about the (IMO) riff that's introduced straight away up until 1:07, and again at 1:35 up until 2:18, and finally at 2:57 until the end. The B part and the bridge are more so mere chord progressions.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
My POV/understanding: The same strummed chords + a few harmonic notes, and a rhythm pattern is repeated over and over, hence making it a distinct riff, distinguishing it from some other that might be based on that chord progression. A simple riff with its notes and rhythm pattern, but still a riff. Even in that article it says:

Clearly TWTD isn't e.g. Smells like Teen Spirit. On that note, would you say Smells Like Teen Spirit then does or doesn't have a riff (or if it has some riffs, which parts of the song would you define as such)? I was thinking specifically of the opening/chorus, which bear resemblance to TWTD, but which however clearly are distinguishable from it.

edit. In terms of TWTD, I'm talking about the (IMO) riff that's introduced straight away up until 1:07, and again at 1:35 up until 2:18, and finally at 2:57 until the end. The B part and the bridge are more so mere chord progressions.
Let's agree to disagree. The guitar in The Will to Death sounds just like a background chord progression to me. I think most people (John Frusciante included) would not describe that as a riff either.

The guitar in Smell Like Teen Spirit might be a riff, but gets fuzzy. The main difference is that the guitar here is one of the "hooks" of the song.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Let's agree to disagree. The guitar in The Will to Death sounds just like a background chord progression to me. I think most people (John Frusciante included) would not describe that as a riff either.

The guitar in Smell Like Teen Spirit might be a riff, but gets fuzzy. The main difference is that the guitar here is one of the "hooks" of the song.
Fair enough. Maybe it isn't a riff then. A scandalous win. :sneaky:

On another note, anyone willing to manage the next one? I might be able/available if no one else steps forth.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Please, do it.
Fair enough. Maybe it isn't a riff then. A scandalous win. :sneaky:

On another note, anyone willing to manage the next one? I might be able/available if no one else steps forth.

·
Registered
26,059 Posts
The next theme sounds good, but the manager can't tag players in public then, because we are not supposed to know who's already in?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
The next theme sounds good, but the manager can't tag players in public then, because we are not supposed to know who's already in?
Hmm... One option is to tag all players each time. Shouldn't be too bothersome for those who have already submitted a song. Of course the manager can't publish the names of the participants before the DL either (i.e. not one by one as submissions come in). Only the (further no more eligible) country should be made public after each entry.

If no one else steps forth, I'll set up the new game within 24 hours.

One additional thing, I was thinking that in this game instead of just UK as one, England, Scotland, Wales and North Ireland could all be eligible separately... If no one's really against this, this is my preference (as there's plenty of interesting stuff from each; same can be said (= plenty of interesting music) of course for each state in the US, but since they are only states, this will remain as a single entry).

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,506 Posts
Hmm... One option is to tag all players each time. Shouldn't be too bothersome for those who have already submitted a song. Of course the manager can't publish the names of the participants before the DL either (i.e. not one by one as submissions come in). Only the (further no more eligible) country should be made public after each entry.

If no one else steps forth, I'll set up the new game within 24 hours.

One additional thing, I was thinking that in this game instead of just UK as one, England, Scotland, Wales and North Ireland could all be eligible separately... If no one's really against this, this is my preference (as there's plenty of interesting stuff from each; same can be said (= plenty of interesting music) of course for each state in the US, but since they are only states, this will remain as a single entry).
Separating UK is fine.

I will add you're probably going to best work with a first in, best dressed rule (whoever selects the country first in order on your conversations list gets it). If someone else then selects the same one, they'll be asked to select a different one (but give them a list of what has been taken otherwise). However they cannot pick from what another person has suggested in between the time taken to find a new one (this is to avoid the hassle of making someone else change because of someone's second choice afterwards).

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
LoL so UK gets four songs while everyone else, including much bigger countries, gets one... not very logic, specially if goal was to bring geographic variety.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts