·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(an Original idea by sfar.)

Welcome to MTF's Best Song Game!

82nd Edition - Dance Dance Revolution

Theme chosen by MWW:
Pick any song that would be appropriate to dance to. Some genres are far more suiting than others - think disco, funk, folk and tribal dance, electronic dance and derivatives, ballet music and jazz/swing dance.

How to play?
It's very easy! Every game, the winner of the previous edition chooses a theme. Every player sends a song to the manager via PM (don't make it public!) that meets the criteria and after a period of time a playlist is created. Then it's all about listening music, picking your favorite songs and sending your votes to the manager. The song with the most points wins!

How long do this game last?
Games usually last around 20 days (9 days for nomination + 11 days for voting phases), so don't worry, there's plenty of time.

1) Songs Submission Phase: Here you choose a song that complies with the game's theme and send a YouTube link to the manager. This phase lasts around 8 days.

(If two or more players happen to send the same song, the manager will accept the first player's choice and request the others to send a different song. All this will be done privately via PM)

2) Voting Phase: You'll have around 12 days to listen to the playlist and send the manager your votes.

(The voting format is explained below)

3) Final Ceremony: This is where the manager reveals who submitted each song and how many points it got! The ceremony takes place shortly or soon after Phase 2 ends.

(Remember, dates and time will be provided by the manager but they are not set in stone. If it's needed, the manager might change them with previous notice.)

How to vote?
After listening to the playlist, you send your favorite songs via PM to the manager (Cheda, me in this case) in one of the following formats. Note that you can't vote for your own song. The voting format depends on how many people play:

1) If 27 players or fewer participate, you vote for 10 songs ranked from top to bottom and numbered like this:

Code:
12 Points: Your favorite song
10 Points: 2nd favorite song.
8 Points: 3rd favorite song.
7 Points: (...)
6 Points: (...)
5 Points: (...)
4 Points: (...)
3 Points: (...)
2 Points: (...)
1 Point: (...)

2) If 28 or more players participate, the manager will host Semifinals. In each Semifinal, you vote for 10 songs as in the previous example. After the semi-finals the manager will publish a list of those songs that have reached the Final and you should vote again. Remember that even if your song doesn't make it through to the Final, you are still allowed and indeed requested to vote in the Final!

What if you don't vote?
If you don't vote, or vote for fewer songs than requested, then you will receive a penalty like this:

1) If you don't vote at all, your song will lose the maximum amount of points. (12 points)

2) If you vote for fewer songs, you will receive penalty points in reverse order of the points awarded (to the songs) in the particular voting format. (9 votes -> 1 point penalty, 8 votes -> 2 points penalty and so on)

Additional info

1) If the same song is sent by more than one player, the manager is supposed to ask the second and further players to choose another song.

2) The manager is required to send her/his own votes to MWW (click here), not later than 48 hours before the respective voting deadline (also in semifinals), else the manager's votes will not count.

3) Tiebreak criteria (for songs tied in points after the voting):
1st = amount of sets of top points received. 2nd (if still tied) = amount of 2nd highest points received. And so on.

4) The ideal duration for a 'midsized' BSG edition is 20-21 days: 8 for Nominations, 12 for Voting, 1 for transition or extensions.
The manager is however free to move the dates or extend that duration quite a bit.

5) Late votes: It's common practice in BSG to count late votes until the actual start of the results revelation (or Ceremony).
That could make things tough for the manager though. It's alright if the manager announces (shortly) in advance that the deadline will be strict, but then really no late votes can be accepted (as situations where the manager can arbitrarily decide if a vote counts, could be abused for results manipulation).

6) Here are some helpful links for new managers: Spreadsheet template and Previous Winners List.

7) "Best Song Game" is a simple and catchy label, but one of the purposes of this game is to discover new music.

Past Editions

·
52,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
52,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Players (18)​

Aaron Kstein
Awka Liwen
babspider
Bakano
bilentsob
cmchelsea
guitarra
HoorayBeer
Ilkae
Ilovetheblues_86
JMG
MWW
Nathaliia
NDee
Nepoznati Knez
Proudserb
Synesthetic
yellow grass

·
52,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Song List - Direct Final of 18 songs

PLAYLIST YOUTUBE LINK: BSG 82 Direct Final - YouTube

Vote for your top 10 out of the 18 songs

listed below, according to the voting schedule in the opening post: 12 pts for most liked song, then 10 pts for 2nd most liked, 8 pts for 3rd most liked etc.

Artist​
Song​
Kassav​
Syé Bwa​
Sho Madjozi​
John Cena​
Los Mutantes del Paraná​
Molusco​
George Benson​
Give Me The Night​
ХЛЕБ​
Эба​
Benny Goodman​
Sing Sing Sing​
Claudia​
Deixa Eu Dizer​
Cerrone​
Supernature​
Oliver ft. Chromeo​
Go With It​
Sneaky Sound System​
Goodbye​
Arisa ft. Omer Adam​
Tel Aviv​
Afrosound​
La Pava Congona​
Stubborn Problems​
Afrikan Jazz​
Rainbow Addict​
Feeling of the Rain​
Tiro de Gracia​
Nuestra Fiesta​
Original​
Sen Kayden Bilasen​
Metropole​
Miss Manhattan​
Siriusmo​
Goldene Kugel​

In plain text form:
Kassav- Syé Bwa
Sho Madjozi- John Cena
Los Mutantes del Paraná- Molusco
George Benson- Give Me The Night
ХЛЕБ- Эба
Benny Goodman- Sing Sing Sing
Claudia- Deixa Eu Dizer
Cerrone- Supernature
Oliver ft. Chromeo- Go With It
Sneaky Sound System- Goodbye
Arisa ft. Omer Adam- Tel Aviv
Afrosound- La Pava Congona
Stubborn Problems- Afrikan Jazz
Rainbow Addict- Feeling of the Rain
Tiro de Gracia- Nuestra Fiesta
Original- Sen Kayden Bilasen
Metropole- Miss Manhattan
Siriusmo - Goldene Kugel

·
Premium Member
20,533 Posts
* INSERT DANCING BANANA SMILEY *

·
52,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those looking for inspiration, BSG Groovy (BSG 19) has some decent ideas. Not all are dance but they are decent. The Electronic theme (BSG 35) had some too of course.

I also won with Sons of Kemet in the bassline game.

Nathaliia sent a great Polish funk piece too in BSG19

and I sent Bee Gees of course there:

·
Super Moderator
7,257 Posts
Sorry I haven't been able to post lately, or watch any matches for that matter. I've been having a hard time with a pretty rough allergic episode these last 4 days that pretty much has me either in bed or in bed and having difficulty to breathe properly. Hoping to get better as the week goes along.

·
52,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I haven't been able to post lately, or watch any matches for that matter. I've been having a hard time with a pretty rough allergic episode these last 4 days that pretty much has me either in bed or in bed and having difficulty to breathe properly. Hoping to get better as the week goes along.
Glad you are not breathing our air. Get well soon!

·
52,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would mosh count as dance?
It depends. The PARP stuff (i.e. rave party) could be considered.

If you will pick rock, some forms of rock are very conducive to dancing, others not so much.

I'll let you make your own judgment call.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It depends. The PARP stuff (i.e. rave party) could be considered.

If you will pick rock, some forms of rock are very conducive to dancing, others not so much.

I'll let you make your own judgment call.
I would't call any of those songs conducive to moshing (which is a kind of dance), not even close. So, I guess the answer is no. It's fine.

·
52,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would't call any of those songs conducive to moshing (which is a kind of dance), not even close. So, I guess the answer is no. It's fine.
The ones I had there aren't mosh for sure, I was giving exemplars for rock.

As I said, make your best judgment.

·
52,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
4 so far but it should go up

Tagging some regulars and other guests

[...]

@Ilkae

[...]
This didn't show up for me (= no alert). IINM there was something about this in the 'ask the mods' section, that there might be a limit to how many mentions you can make in one go; ones that show up as an alert.

·
52,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
haven't had any additional submissions yet. I may give people a bit more time.

·
Super Moderator
7,257 Posts
Just submitted a song. It wasn't easy to decide on a good dancing song, mainly because I didn't want to go on the usual pop/electro way. I really liked my pick but it's probably not for everyone, and definitely not what you would listen to at a club.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts