Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moya in a discussion with Feli and Ferrer said that Nadal is not the fastest guy on the tour but his anticipation of the ball and athleticism make him tough to beat. Moya is Rafas mentor and probably knows him better than most anyway do you agree or disagree

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DanEd said:
I agree with Carlos. Nadal is pretty fast not the fastest. coria is faster.
i think schuettler too
Actually funny thats what he said Coria is fastest guy he has played :lol:

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
Just saying that its about sheer speed is not telling the entire story so I agree with the anticipation skills explanation.

This is what Agassi had to say about Nadal's quickness yesterday:
Q. Can you compare him to other players in terms of his quickness?

ANDRE AGASSI: You know, there's so many different ways to assess speed. You got guys that are tremendously fast, but they only use their speed defensively, then you really don't care about how fast they are because they're only going to have to run more. You got other guys that can use their speed offensively, but if you get them on the defense they can't hurt you on the stretch, so you can take a point over early and they can be fast but never turn a point around.
Nadal has the ability to run as fast as the best of 'em, but on the stretch actually hurt you. You know, he can transition those points into offense. That makes you sort of walk on egg shells. He draws out errors that I think normally you wouldn't make against any other player, which is a credit to the way he plays the game.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Nadal is very quick and has great anticipation, but would he be any quicker than Hewitt, Coria or Rochus brothers when it comes to footspeed, that I don't know. Federer is a guy underrated in the footspeed department.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
by looking at his body... so heavily built, he couldn't be the fastest, coz it just doesnt seem to be possible.... he is fast, but definately not the fastest...

(well, peter fleming said, borg is the fastest guy..... nadal is NOWHERE near him.....)

his anticipation is unbelievable... he run down to the ball most other guys not bother to.... and can turn the what seems impossible into possible!

that's why i like him....

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GeorgeWHitler said:
Federer is a guy underrated in the footspeed department.
Ditto :D

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Nadal is also not the best looking guy on tour either. His sense of style and color just make him seem that way.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fumus said:
Nadal is also not the best looking guy on tour either. His sense of style and color just make him seem that way.
Duh, Stepanek takes that cake ;)

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
oneandonlyhsn said:
Duh, Stepanek takes that cake ;)
Yes, and Nadal is not the fittest on tour either. That goes to Labadze or Dent.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
jenanun said:
by looking at his body... so heavily built, he couldn't be the fastest, coz it just doesnt seem to be possible.... he is fast, but definately not the fastest...

(well, peter fleming said, borg is the fastest guy..... nadal is NOWHERE near him.....)

his anticipation is unbelievable... he run down to the ball most other guys not bother to.... and can turn the what seems impossible into possible!

that's why i like him....
Well, the fastest guys in the world are very muscular as well. So, it's definitely possible.
But on top of that, he just doesn't seem light on his feet as say Hewitt or Coria. His great mobility and anticipation makes it seem like he's one of the fastest.

Reactions: Mimi

·
Registered
309 Posts
GeorgeWHitler said:
Federer is a guy underrated in the footspeed department.
Too true! If people watch him carefully they would see that his anticipation is so good that he can move straight after he's played a shot and can run down balls quite easily :) .

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The faster players are mostly a little smaller

and btw in tennis it's very important to be fast in first 2 or 3 steps

you're not running the 100 meters, you're running the 5 meters over and over again

Nadal can switch sides very fast though

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Blaze said:
I'll give $100 to anyone who can predict where this thread is heading
Who's better? Federer or Nadal?
Because clearly Nadal is better than Coria and Hewitt and Federer is God.

Give me my vCash! :D

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Fumus said:
A low post count.

I accept paypal.
Oh, you!

I guess *I'm* not the fastest, then. :sad:

·
Registered
527 Posts
lucashg said:
Who's better? Federer or Nadal?
Because clearly Nadal is better than Coria and Hewitt and Federer is God.

Give me my vCash! :D

I have 500 in vcash, i will do the transfer :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts