1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moya Blames Rain for Early Exit
By REUTERS

Filed at 12:01 p.m. ET

SOPOT, Poland (Reuters) - Second seed Carlos Moya slid out of the first round of the Polish Open Wednesday, blaming rain delays for his 7-6, 6-7, 7-5 loss to fellow Spaniard Albert Portas.

Heavy storms in the seaside resort of Sopot disrupted play Monday and Tuesday, leaving Moya saying a lack of practice had contributed to his defeat to Portas, ranked 85th in the ATP Tour Entry System, 81 places below Moya.

``I didn't adapt very well to the conditions. I was only able to practice for 20 minutes today and 15 minutes yesterday because of the rain,'' Moya told reporters.

``If it hadn't rained I would have had a bigger chance of winning.''

In another upset in the $570,000 men's tournament, Argentina's Mariano Puerta beat fifth-seeded Filippo Volandri of Italy 6-4, 6-0.

Top seed Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain had no such trouble, beating Polish wildcard Bartlomiej Dabrowski 6-3, 6-1.

In the $300,000 WTA women's event, favorites Anastasia Myskina of Russia and Switzerland's Patty Schnyder, who both had first round byes, posted second round wins.

Myskina beat Stefanie Gehrlein of Germany 6-3, 6-4, while Schnyder had to win a third set tiebreak to get past Silvija Talaja of Croatia 2-6, 6-3, 7-6.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Why does he need more practice when he just spent a whole week winning on clay last week? His form should have been good enough without heaps of practice! It rained for Portas too, and I'd think Portas would be the one who needed practice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts