Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it strike anyone else as strange that pros get distracted by movement in the crowd, yet at most tournaments now days the line judge covering the serve down the tee moves after the serve during the point. So if a ground level person is not distracting, how can someone in the stands be?
There seems to be a move to remove line judges presumably to save money. So even the larger tourneys are going with 2 sideline judges with one covering the tee on the serve as opposed to having a dedicated middle line judge for the serve. Personally, I think it is a poor decision as I've see them rushing to get to the sideline after calling the middle line and errors have occurred as a result. However I have never heard a commentator mention this, nor have I read anything regarding it.

What say you?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does it strike anyone else as strange that pros get distracted by movement in the crowd, yet at most tournaments now days the line judge covering the serve down the tee moves after the serve during the point. So if a ground level person is not distracting, how can someone in the stands be?
There seems to be a move to remove line judges presumably to save money. So even the larger tourneys are going with 2 sideline judges with one covering the tee on the serve as opposed to having a dedicated middle line judge for the serve. Personally, I think it is a poor decision as I've see them rushing to get to the sideline after calling the middle line and errors have occurred as a result. However I have never heard a commentator mention this, nor have I read anything regarding it.

What say you?
i think that the scale and degree of one moving line judge is tiny compared to 100s or 1000s of fidgety people scratching and the like.

but i hate it when tournaments only have two judges, it's cheap and stupid.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I would have thought that all players would have to at some stage play with other matches going on on a neighbouring court and there are usually some distractions during qualifying matches. Some pro's seem a bit easily distracted but it doesn't bother me (the fact that they are easily distracted) anyway.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
The oversized font used by the original poster is distracting me! Get him out of here!

·
Premium Member
8,972 Posts
Exactly, line judge movement is uniform and anticipated. Not someone bobbing up and down, particularly at a higher level so that can change the line of vision.

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Tennis players get annoyed by anything.

Don't know why in tennis you have to keep quiet.

Other sports such as archery and table tennis which have a less margin for error, the crowd can be as loud as they want.

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
Tennis players get annoyed by anything.

Don't know in tennis you have to keep quiet.

Other sports such as archery and table tennis which have a less margin for error, the crowd can be as loud as they want.
Darts is another example. 2000 drunk English yobs going nuts while a player is attempting a life-changing throw at an 8mm x 30mm(guess) target.

There shouldn't be any problem at big tennis events if the crowd is noisy. A wall of noise shouldn't be distracting in the same way individual shouts can be.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I say we should have the same atmosphere in tennis as we do in football with shouting, booing etc. These guys are supposed to be professionals and should be able to play in such environments. It will make it more challenging and interesting to watch :)

Reactions: Truc

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Darts is another example. 2000 drunk English yobs going nuts while a player is attempting a life-changing throw at an 8mm x 30mm(guess) target.

There shouldn't be any problem at big tennis events if the crowd is noisy. A wall of noise shouldn't be distracting in the same way individual shouts can be.
Exactly.

I believe consistent crowd applause and support should not be distracting to players.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Exactly.

I believe consistent crowd applause and support should not be distracting to players.
True. It´s only natural for the crowd to make noise when the game is on. Also, tennis still has a bit of a snob label in some people´s minds. And it´s hard to get rid of that label if the crowd has to act like in a funeral.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts