Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Novak Djokovic guaranteed to exceed Roger Federer's total of weeks at #1? Regardless of the outcome of AO?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I was just comparing with golf. In ATP you have currently Federer(310), Novak(303), Sampras(287), Lendl(270), Connors(267)
Golf, OTOH has Woods(682), Langer(331), Dustin Johnson(110), Rory McIlroy(106) and everyone else is below a100! That number for Woods however one looks at it, is just ridiculous- but this is a tennis forum, not a golf forum, so I will desist LOL

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Thanks! I was just comparing with golf. In ATP you have currently Federer(310), Novak(303), Sampras(287), Lendl(270), Connors(267)
Golf, OTOH has Woods(682), Langer(331), Dustin Johnson(110), Rory McIlroy(106) and everyone else is below a100! That number for Woods however one looks at it, is just ridiculous- but this is a tennis forum, not a golf forum, so I will desist LOL

Pretty sure that's incorrect & and that it was Greg Norman who was ranked that long.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The vast majority of golf Slam champions are English speaking. Tennis has more global participation, at least in modern times.

·
Your visions will happen
49,209 Posts
Tilden has 368 weeks

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Yea, people say tennis is a rich people's sport, but golf takes it to a whole another level.
Maybe in Europe but not in NA and definitely not in Canada - we are surrounded by golf courses and you can play a round for as little as $20

Not all golf courses are country clubs FYI

·
Premium Member
21,471 Posts
Maybe in Europe but not in NA and definitely not in Canada - we are surrounded by golf courses and you can play a round for as little as $20

Well, more than half of all golf courses in the world are located in the US, so no wonder. Serbia for example, has only 2 golf courses and they are both 9-hole. So if somebody would want to play an 18-hole course, he/she would have to travel abroad. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Well, more than half of all golf courses in the world are located in the US, so no wonder. Serbia for example, has only 2 golf courses and they are both 9-hole. So if somebody would want to play an 18-hole course, he/she would have to travel abroad. :ROFLMAO:
Sounds to me like you need to open an 18-hole golf course ;)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
That Woods total is very weird. Like being #1 for all of that 1997-2009 heyday. But I recall others reaching no.1 during that period, players like Norman, Els, Singh, Westwood, etc. They must have been brief stints, and Woods did hit no.1 again for a period in the mid 10s.

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts

To be fair thats a lot more than playing Soccer/ Football, Basketball and a few other sports that don't require a lot of money.

Golf also requires multiple clubs , a golf cart and paying the fee to play on a course.

Tennis can be expensive, but one can at least get a cheap racquet and a bag of balls and use public courts. Maintaining a tennis court is expensive, but a cracked one is still playable.

I think golf is one of the more expensive sports out there. Maybe hockey?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts