Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which players are/were harshly treated by the media?

• Andy Murray

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Nikolay Davydenko

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Radek Stepanek

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Guillermo Coria

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Lleyton Hewitt

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Andy Roddick

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Alex Bogdanovic

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Ivan Lendl

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Mark Philippoussis

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Andre Agassi

Votes: 3 9.1%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to make a poll out of this. It's basically a thread to gauge your opinions on which players have been most villainized by the media. Just got to thinking about this after recent articles about Murray and Roddick.

So far I'm thinking of including the following players in the poll:
Andy Murray
Andy Roddick
Lleyton Hewitt
John McEnroe :devil: (you could argue some articles were a bit over the top)

I'm not saying that all of the above have always acted like angels, just that they may have been painted in an unnecissarily poor light by some forms of media. Add suggestions if you wish ;)

EDIT: Preferably try to keep the villains media based, I've never read a bad article about Rafa (for exaple) but he seems to still get knocked on MTF a bit.

***EDIT: Poll added, multi-vote enabled.

·
Banned
218 Posts
You can never include valid jerks in this argument (Murray) because quite simply the guy is a villain, so he is just being treated how he deserves. If you think about it, he treats most people in the press etc much worse than they do to him.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Hmm that is interesting. It's seems to me that each week a different player is vilified. Maybe Davydenko though (even though I like him)

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
You can never include valid jerks in this argument (Murray) because quite simply the guy is a villain, so he is just being treated how he deserves. If you think about it, he treats most people in the press etc much worse than they do to him.
agreed. none of those guys in the original post should be in the poll because it's too easy to make arguments over why they deserve everything they get

it's gotta be guys who aren't as deserving

·
Banned
218 Posts
Dimo you are totally right. I struggle to think of players who fit the bill, but definitely a perfect example of a player on this forum is Nadal. Seems to have his own hate club on here, maybe based on his success. It is a lot harder to think of examples in the press because 95% are more knowledgeable than the posters on here.

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
Dimo you are totally right. I struggle to think of players who fit the bill, but definitely a perfect example of a player on this forum is Nadal. Seems to have his own hate club on here, maybe based on his success. It is a lot harder to think of examples in the press because 95% are more knowledgeable than the posters on here.
good point (at the end). I disagree with Nadal, however - I mean the point is valid, I simply think that every player on tour is going to have his group of vehement haters, the question here I think is who IN GENERAL is villainized.

if in fact Davydenko is clean then he at least has to be included on the poll. Murray MIGHT warrant inclusion - it's well-known he acts terrible, but who knows he might be a decent guy. Stepanek I think should DEFINITELY be on there. Trying to think of others but it's tough.

·
Registered
771 Posts
From my tennis media consumption (which only comes from 2 or 3 outlets, and they might all be controlled by the same corporation haha) I'd say Roddick (though I agree he does bring it upon himself) and Davydenko (guilty until proven innocent).

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Before his serving problems and clearing his name through the courts- I would have to say Guillermo Coria was up there. The press kept talking about what a jerk he was, and I remember one match where Jim Courier was commenting and went on and on and on about how much he hated the guy. I remember that aroung this time Charles Brickey (sp?) wrote a very good, complex article about Coria in a Florida newspaper that showed that he was not this cartoon villian that the media made him out to be. Coria was by no means an angel- but the press did like to portray his as a baddie. And I hope to never hear such biased commentary about a player - even if I don't like him- as I did when Courier was talking about Guille.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Murray doesn't deserve half of what he gets. He's freaking 20 and how he behaves is not that bad. Yet he is bashed in a new article every week.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Murray gets off pretty easily, to be honest. The British press fawn over him 90% of the time and have built up his ego to the extent that he considers himself to be untouchable.

Roddick deserves it too...he's a knob. Even watching him practice makes me want to slap him.

How about these guys:

Jeff Tarango
Thomas Muster
Alex Bogdanovic
Mark Phillipoussis
Ivan Lendl
Karol Novacek
Andre Agassi (pre 1992)

they've all, rightly or wrongly, copped it over the years

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Murray gets off pretty easily, to be honest. The British press fawn over him 90% of the time and have built up his ego to the extent that he considers himself to be untouchable.

Roddick deserves it too...he's a knob. Even watching him practice makes me want to slap him.

How about these guys:

Jeff Tarango
Thomas Muster
Alex Bogdanovic
Mark Phillipoussis
Ivan Lendl
Karol Novacek
Andre Agassi (pre 1992)

they've all, rightly or wrongly, copped it over the years
Would you care to elaborate?

I would like to know more about what happened to these guys by the media.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Would you care to elaborate?

I would like to know more about what happened to these guys by the media.
righto...here's a quick history for you:

Jeff Tarango - hounded by the press after his bust-up with the ref at Wimb 95 when he walked off court. Was banned for 2 Grand Slams and goaded by everyone whenever he stepped on court...especially at Wimbledon

Thomas Muster - derided as a one-surface wonder (rightly?) and was accused by Becker (repeated often by the press) of using steroids

Alex Bogdanovic - poor guy...how many times have the British press said he should never be selected for Davis Cup again?

Mark Phillipoussis - unfulfilled talent, sleeping with Paris Hilton, making a stupid TV shows...need I say more?

Ivan Lendl - wasn't really liked by anyone really was he? people probably forget how much he was mocked for never winning the big one, despite trying his darndest..

Karol Novacek - the bad influence that forced saintly Mats Wilander into using cocaine? well, that's how the media liked to see it anyway

Andre Agassi (pre 1992) - most people forget that AA was seen as brash, rude and a wasted talent for the first few years he was on tour...it took awhile before he won people over...the "as happy as a ****** in a submarine" quote didn't help him either

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Before his serving problems and clearing his name through the courts- I would have to say Guillermo Coria was up there. The press kept talking about what a jerk he was, and I remember one match where Jim Courier was commenting and went on and on and on about how much he hated the guy. I remember that aroung this time Charles Brickey (sp?) wrote a very good, complex article about Coria in a Florida newspaper that showed that he was not this cartoon villian that the media made him out to be. Coria was by no means an angel- but the press did like to portray his as a baddie. And I hope to never hear such biased commentary about a player - even if I don't like him- as I did when Courier was talking about Guille.
If Guille had done 5% of what Djokovic has done, he would have been hanged up on court.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I give an Honorable Mention to Tim Henman, whose annual drubbing by the Brit press after he lost at Wimbledon, no matter when or to whom, was always painful to read.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I give an Honorable Mention to Tim Henman, whose annual drubbing by the Brit press after he lost at Wimbledon, no matter when or to whom, was always painful to read.
Yeah, in hindsight I should probably have put Tim in there, he took some ridiculous stick in the British press:eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts