Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok technique gurus need your opinions.

Who among the top players both current/retired are/were the closest to perfect in terms of textbook tennis technique?

Who would a young aspiring kid look up to if he wants to develop proper technique right from the beginning?

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
Subtle. :p

You should have added a poll to this to make it even more clear who you are hinting at:

A. Federer
B. Roger Federer
C. Switzerland's Roger Federer
D. Switzerland's Roger Federer a.k.a. the GOAT.​

·
Registered
27,182 Posts
Forehand, footwork, slice and serve - tapes of peak Federer.
Single handed backhand - Haas has the most classic and easy to learn one around probably.
Double handed backhand - Djokovic or Nishikori are very textbook.
Volleys - Llodra or Hewitt.
Lob - Murray or Hewitt.

Don't see why this has to be for top players only - there are plenty of people in the top 100 who have excellent technique.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts

You should have added a poll to this to make it even more clear who you are hinting at:

A. Federer
B. Roger Federer
No one should try to emulate Federer powder puff BH (well apart from the slice i give you that), they should rather try to emulate his fellow countryman Wawrinka's.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

A. Federer
B. Roger Federer
This is NOT a thread to glorify Federer. I personally don't even consider him to that technically sound.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Single handed backhand - Haas has the most classic and easy to learn one around probably.
Lob - Murray or Hewitt.

Don't see why this has to be for top players only - there are plenty of people in the top 100 who have excellent technique.
Perfect answer. :)

Also the reason why i only mentioned top players because most of us are used to seeing them often as compared to say a 115 ranked player whom most causal tennis fan hardly recognize.

·
Registered
27,182 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Forehand: Nadal
one-handed backhand: Wawrinka
two-handed backhand: Djokovic
Slice: Federer
Serve: Federer
Volley: Stakhovsky
Footwork: Nadal

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
I modeled my DTL BH after Nalbandian's. It is very effective opening a neutral rally, but I use an open stance instead when defending.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Federer. That's wht his legendary status is based on.

You won't see him as the fastest, most endurant, most flexible, most powerful, etc., but for technique - he's the GOAT of the GOATs

·
Banned
5,616 Posts
Player with perfect motions:
Serve - Volandri
Forehand - Gulbis/Paire/Dolgopolov
2HBH - Nadal
OHBH - Karlovic
Slice - Djokovic, Nadal
Volleys - Almagro probably
Dolgopolov has the best technique IMO. Very good-looking and effective :inlove:

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Lob - Murray or Hewitt.

Can't believe I'm agreeing with this guy on something.

With you on everything, cept the vollies. Hewitt knows how to ghost into the net well, but he doesn't beat Feliciano Lopez in the volleying department, Llodra is too eratic at the net also and has retired..... (Hewitt isn't a top player anymore either)

Agree with everything else tho.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
If we are taking them as a package, an entire package, then Djokovic has the cleanest techniques, minus the smashing.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts