Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Kyrgios maybe? He could still achieve big things, certainly. He hasn't really done it yet though, so I don't know how he ends up ahead of people like Nishikori especially in terms of odds for winning a grand slam, which he has never shown a glimpse of being capable of... in my opinion.

It probably depends where you look, but he's 9th favourite to win the Australian Open on where I am checking. Difficult to justify there only being 8 players with a better chance (although I do realise everybody outside the top 5-6 favourites has a very slim chance anyway).
As talented as he is, he’ll never win a slam due to his mentality so he’s definitely a good pick for this thread.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Kyrgios maybe? He could still achieve big things, certainly. He hasn't really done it yet though, so I don't know how he ends up ahead of people like Nishikori especially in terms of odds for winning a grand slam, which he has never shown a glimpse of being capable of... in my opinion.

It probably depends where you look, but he's 9th favourite to win the Australian Open on where I am checking. Difficult to justify there only being 8 players with a better chance (although I do realise everybody outside the top 5-6 favourites has a very slim chance anyway).
Nah, he's not rated at all now. No one believes in him anymore, not even me. Still a bigger chance to win a slam than Zverev.

As talented as he is, he’ll never win a slam due to his mentality so he’s definitely a good pick for this thread.
Just give him the Big 3 in a row, then a few NG he wants to prove himself against - then he has a chance...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Nah, he's not rated at all now. No one believes in him anymore, not even me. Still a bigger chance to win a slam than Zverev.

Just give him the Big 3 in a row, then a few NG he wants to prove himself against - then he has a chance...
He might have a good tournament every now and then (Acapulco and Washington) but he always blows the opportunity in the big tournaments. Could’ve easily made semis in US Open and lost to Rublev which he should beat without much trouble.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,145 Posts

that's the humour of Kyrgios. He can romp through a 500 draw beating Nadal and some good players. Then flops hard elsewhere.

6 Posts
Kind of surprised nobody picked the Velvet Fog. Aside from winning Monte Carlo he didn't make a semi the whole year & still finished the year at #12 . If that's not bad enough he also somehow managed to lose to Jack Sock albeit in a glorified exhibition match.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Medvedev. If I remember well he was supposed to be unbeaten until RG at least.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Kind of surprised nobody picked the Velvet Fog. Aside from winning Monte Carlo he didn't make a semi the whole year & still finished the year at #12 . If that's not bad enough he also somehow managed to lose to Jack Sock albeit in a glorified exhibition match.
That was pretty pathetic how he lost to Sock who couldn’t even beat challenger mugs at the time.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
berretini did well to get to the top 8, but he hasnt impressed me in the times ive seen him- I think he will find it hard to maintain his form going forward.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Could be. But his consistency improved a lot after Youzhny joined less than 6 months ago. It's far too early to say I think.
This is a temporary effect. Most likely due to emergence of a new person in his team.
Probably so, you can’t really pinpoint someone’s career potential when they’re only like 20 so only time can tell what’ll happen.
Definitely, his career will be bright, but brief.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts