Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The end is here so who do you think was the most overrated player in terms of being rated way higher than their actual abilities/results and also is talked about way too much for their caliber?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it’s FAA as people kept calling him a future slam champion and no.1 etc. when he didn’t even come close to doing anything big apart from that fluke run with the pussy ass draw in Miami until he choked against Isner. I’m aware he’s only 19 but several players have made bigger achievements at that age and weren’t overrated.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I think it’s FAA as people kept calling him a future slam champion and no.1 etc. when he didn’t even come close to doing anything big apart from that fluke run with the pussy ass draw in Miami until he choked against Isner. I’m aware he’s only 19 but several players have made bigger achievements at that age and weren’t overrated.
19.3 y.o. Djokovic & Murray in 2006, Federer by the end of 2000, Delpo & Cilic in 2007, Wawrinka in 2004, were not much more successful either.

FAA was y.e. 108 twelve months ago, now he is y.e. 21, so, he may start winning slams by his 22nd birthday as Federer, or later as Murray, or even as late as Stan, but he will have won many tournaments and entered many finals by that time.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,846 Posts
FAA's ceiling is not that perceptibly high from what I've seen to date. His mentality is one of his best assets and he has improved his serve well. There are some technical flaws though that need to be addressed in other departments before I see multi slam champion written all over him. Of course, time will tell.

Berrettini I've also never quite felt belonged in the top 10 echelon. Good results on average to give him the points, but against top guys, only major wins against Dominic and he can flounder on the ROS and BH. He is a serve FH player and doesn't anticipate movement i.e. defend very well. I'm not 100% sure he can keep that up next season unless he adds more dimensions to his game. I will give credit for the fact he is playing well on a bunch of different surfaces.

Khachanov is kinda what I expected of him in 2019, which isn't saying much. Despite his Bercy win at the end of 2018, I was not very certain he'd make regular roads deep into slam QFs and beyond. Masters he did make one SF with a good win against Zverev. That's about it. His R1 loss to Pospisil was most disappointing tactically. And how do you lose 2 and 3 to Thompson? He managed to make top 8 this year but that was rubbish.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
He will have a better career than Denis Shapovalov.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Most players that people talk about here have actually made a couple of big things, like winning masters, reaching slam finals in some cases, or perhaps winning the WTF. An exception to this rule is Jannik Sinner. He is ranked 78 and has only won 11 matches at the ATP level. Obviously, he is a candidate for being overhyped.

With that said, I have contributed to some hype of Sinner myself (saying that he has a decent chance of being top 10 one year from now), so people arguing that he is a future slam winner and world number one won't hear any protests from me.

Still, the development curves of players may stall for a while, and after a successful indoor season the last few months, Sinner's game might take some time to adjust to less than ideal outdoor conditions. If he does not climb the rankings at a steady pace during 2020, people will certainly say that he has been overhyped. To some extent, they will be right.

·
Premium Member
29,536 Posts
FAA's ceiling is not that perceptibly high from what I've seen to date. His mentality is one of his best assets and he has improved his serve well. There are some technical flaws though that need to be addressed in other departments before I see multi slam champion written all over him. Of course, time will tell.
Say wut? The dude was choking all summer. Guys like Medvedev, Tsitsipas and Zverev have decidedly better mentality at the moment.

FAA has a great forehand and from what I've seen, a good natural feel for the game. He doesn't have the footwork or speed on the level of someone like Murray, but perhaps he won't need it. I kinda enjoy his game and wish him the best, but honestly... people have actually talked about FAA for years on here and hyped him as the next big thing and... I haven't really been blown away so far. Sure the kid has potential but he doesn't look like a world beater to me, at least not yet.

Jannik Sinner on the other hand... he came out of nowhere this year and I have to say I'm mightily impressed by his performances lately, especially at the NextGen finals. If he can cultivate that controlled power and improve his serve further, he could become a monster.

Reactions: paca

·
The special one
14,805 Posts
People still expect Zverev to win a slam when he can't get past R4, so must be him.
Yeah, Zverev was being hyped quite a bit at the start of the year off the back of winning WTF last year, so you'd expect much better than 1 QF 2 R4 and R1 in the slams, compared to last year its been very mediocre.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Both Bighax and cmchelsea have mentioned Zverev as a candidate, and he definitely is an interesting case. Winning three masters and the WTF while still being young enough to qualify for the next-gen finals, one could argue that the hype has been justified. Still, he has been a top ten player for two and a half years without noticeable success at the slam level. If I had to bet, I would say that he will get the monkey off his back in 2020, at least partially, by reaching a slam semi. If I'm wrong, he will have to live the ironic nickname "Slamrev" for at least another year.

·
Super Moderator
13,442 Posts
Zverev , after winning WTF last year, half of MTF had him becoming #1 and winning a slam , instead irrelevant!

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
I don't think Zverev is rated very highly at the moment. He had an underwhelming year, hype is not that high anymore.
I think Shapovalov is kind of overrated. Has a big game but a pea sized brain.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think Zverev is rated very highly at the moment. He had an underwhelming year, hype is not that high anymore.
I think Shapovalov is kind of overrated. Has a big game but a pea sized brain.
I feel like Shapovalov will be like Wawrinka and peak in a few slams or masters and win them but he will never be consistent and won’t be one of the consistent top 3 players

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
19.3 y.o. Djokovic & Murray in 2006, Federer by the end of 2000, Delpo & Cilic in 2007, Wawrinka in 2004, were not much more successful either.

FAA was y.e. 108 twelve months ago, now he is y.e. 21, so, he may start winning slams by his 22nd birthday as Federer, or later as Murray, or even as late as Stan, but he will have won many tournaments and entered many finals by that time.
Those players had tougher competition though and they all had the “it factor”. I’ve seen Felix play and there isn’t really anything in his game that stands out, it’s just boring generic baselining with no variety and no net skills. Maybe he secretly does have it and I should probably give him a few more years before determining what he can do but we’ll see.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Kyrgios maybe? He could still achieve big things, certainly. He hasn't really done it yet though, so I don't know how he ends up ahead of people like Nishikori especially in terms of odds for winning a grand slam, which he has never shown a glimpse of being capable of... in my opinion.

It probably depends where you look, but he's 9th favourite to win the Australian Open on where I am checking. Difficult to justify there only being 8 players with a better chance (although I do realise everybody outside the top 5-6 favourites has a very slim chance anyway).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts