Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
RG crowd is extremely obnoxious and mean-spirited on purpose, probably due to the historical frustration of almost never winning and it being basically a Spanish-dominated GS, so they routinely vomit their anger on players without any special reason. USO crowd is naturally obnoxious due to ignorance, thinking tennis is akin to football or basket, where crowd can basically do whatever they like regardless of whats happening on court. AO crowd is very respectful and knowledgeable except when a Serb or Croat plays, in which case the respective inmigrant fanbases in Australia behave like hungry monkeys in the forest, specially when a Serb plays a Croat.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
If people think tennis crowds are bad they should watch this:
OMG.... Serbians are just....
I have no word
Come on guys, cherrypicking shit and displaying it as evidence of bad crowd behaviour of an entire nation is just not right. Every hooligan group in Europe is riddled with racism and nationalistic pissing contests. The entire EU has huge racism issues, portrayed best by hooligan groups on stadiums using the mass crowd as their medium. France, Italy, UK... don't get me started on countries like Poland, Ukraine or Bulgaria.

And you always need context to these events, it's not like the other side is sitting eating popcorn and the opposing crowd is chanting for them to die.

A report from the Kosovo:Croatia match (had nothing to do with Serbs).
The football match between Kosovo and Croatia played on Thursday evening at the Loro Borici stadium in Shkodra, Albania was marred by racial chants against Serbs. In its second qualifying match for the 2018 World Cup since the country was accepted into UEFA and FIFA earlier this year, Kosovo’s football team lost 0:6 to Croatia.

This did not prevent fans from both countries from chanting in unison against Serbs. Media footage of the match showed the Kosovo and Croatian fans outside and inside the stadium chanting: “Kill the Serbs.”

Albanian media reported that some Croatian fans also shouted: “We are Ustasa”, referring to the Croatian WWII Fascist movement that killed thousands of Serbs, Jews, Roma and anti-Fascists. Some shouted also the Ustasa slogan “Za dom spremni’ [“Ready for the Homeland”].

But I think the topic is meant to be about tennis, so I would say Wimbledon, just because there are way too many drunk people at the end of matches. French are annoying and USO are loud, but still, Wimbledon drunk "elite" gives new meaning to hooliganism in tennis.

·
Registered
243 Posts
RG crowd is extremely obnoxious and mean-spirited on purpose, probably due to the historical frustration of almost never winning and it being basically a Spanish-dominated GS, so they routinely vomit their anger on players without any special reason. USO crowd is naturally obnoxious due to ignorance, thinking tennis is akin to football or basket, where crowd can basically do whatever they like regardless of whats happening on court. AO crowd is very respectful and knowledgeable except when a Serb or Croat plays, in which case the respective inmigrant fanbases in Australia behave like hungry monkeys in the forest, specially when a Serb plays a Croat.
Greeks in Melbourne similar, crowd at the Tsitsipas Caruso game R1 was nuts this year, as were the Sakkari games

·
justice for all
17,665 Posts
Did you watch the video I posted above?
Yes. Both are terrible. But I think the one I posted was worse. Sure, it's not tennis related but the OP didn't specify it was meant to be only for tennis events and I thought I might be good to make people aware tennis is actually not that bad compared to e.g. football.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Yes. Both are terrible. But I think the one I posted was worse. Sure, it's not tennis related but the OP didn't specify it was meant to be only for tennis events and I thought I might be good to make people aware tennis is actually not that bad compared to e.g. football.
Well, it's a tennis forum so obviously he meant tennis crowds. Among the slams, it is well known the French is the worst, overall the prize goes to South American crowds, I remember it was very bad in Rio 4 years ago.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you're not biased, it's the French Open and Madrid, where even questioning the umpire for 5 seconds can generate boos, whistles and jeers. USO crowd can be rowdy too, as demonstrated in previous finals.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts