Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which upset of Nadal is most impressive (2014/2015)?

• Fognini I: Rio 2015 SF; 1-6 6-2 7-5

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Fognini II: Barcelona 2015 R3; 6-4 7-6(6)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Verdasco: Miami 2015 R3; 6-4 2-6 6-3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Almagro: Barcelona 2014 QF; 2-6 7-6(5) 6-4

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Klizan: Beijing 2014 QF; 6-7(7) 6-4 6-3

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Coric: Basel 2014 QF; 6-2 7-6(4)

• Kyrgios: Wimbledon 2014 R4; 7-6(5) 5-7 7-6(5) 6-3

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Berrer: Doha 2015 R2; 1-6 6-3 6-4

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Lopez: Shanghai 2014 R2; 6-3 7-6(6)

• Dolgopolov: IW 2014 R3; 6-3 3-6 7-6(5)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Raonic: IW 2015 QF; 4-6 7-6(10) 7-5

Votes: 1 2.3%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday marks Fabio's second consecutive victory over Nadal on Nadal's preferred clay. Over the past two years to date, Nadal has been more prone to upsets than other top players (except Wawrinka). Which upsets were most impressive to you and why? I do not include Berdych, Ferrer or Wawrinka on this list because of 'class' differences, however if those felt impressive to you, you can say so. Also if I've left anything out worthy of mention, same deal.

POLL LIST OF UPSETS (2014/2015)
1) Fognini I (Rio 2015 SF; def. Rafa 1-6 6-2 7-5)
2) Fognini II (Barcelona 2015 R3; def. Rafa 6-4 7-6(6))
3) Verdasco (Miami 2015 R3; def. Rafa 6-4 2-6 6-3)
4) Almagro (Barcelona 2014 QF; def. Rafa 2-6 7-6(5) 6-4)
5) Klizan (Beijing 2014; def. Rafa 6-7(7) 6-4 6-3)
6) Coric (Basel 2014; def. Rafa 6-2 7-6(4))
7) Kyrgios (Wimbledon 2014; def. Rafa 7-6(5) 5-7 7-6(5) 6-3 )
8) Berrer (Doha 2015 R2; def. Rafa 1-6 6-3 6-4)
9) Lopez (Shanghai R2; def. Rafa 6-3 7-6(6))
10) Dolgopolov (IW 2014 R3 def. Rafa 6-3 3-6 7-6(5))
11) Raonic (IW 2015 QF def. Rafa 4-6 7-6(10) 7-5)

***Extra one I forgot about, not on the poll: Dustin 'Dreddy' Brown at Halle 2014 R2 def. Nadal 6-4 6-1

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Coric and Berrer imo..

What about dustin brown one?

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Has to be Berrer, he had appendicits problem during the time he faced Coric.

·
53,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coric and Berrer imo..

What about dustin brown one?
Ah of course Dreddy! I totally forgot that one! I can't add it to the poll now but I'll add it as an extra in my post. Of course Halle grass was real grass, lightning quick and he made good use of it. Nadal was beaten by raw speed.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I would rank them

1) Dustin Brown
2) Berrer
3) Coric
4) Klizan
5) Almagro (because of the ridiculous choke of rafa)
6) Dolgopolov ( again ridiculous choke)

5 and 6 could be interchangable..

What called my attention is that in 5 of those 10 BO3 matches in the OP list (the match against kyrgios was BO5 that ended in 4 sets anyways) rafa actually won the first set and ended up losing the match. Thats 50% of matchest lost despite winning the first set..and then losing the coming two... Also 7/10 matches in BO3 were close matches in 3 sets.. which shoes how mentally weak rafa has become..

Even the three matches he failed to win a set.. he chocked the second set.. such as against Lopez, Coric and Fognini more recently...

The only time I saw Rafa blown off court was vs the rastaman.

·
53,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I would rank them

1) Dustin Brown
2) Berrer
3) Coric
4) Klizan
5) Almagro (because of the ridiculous choke of rafa)
6) Dolgopolov ( again ridiculous choke)

5 and 6 could be interchangable..
I can see why you may have picked Dreddy Brown, because that came well out of the blue. Nadal was a 'spectator' at the Dreddy show in front of Dreddy's home fans and couldn't do anything about Dreddy's shots at all. Berrer is also impressive given his age and how he handled the pressure to turn around that match and hold till the end.

I did not watch the Coric match but from the highlights, I would have picked Klizan over him because of how Klizan responded when behind breaks in the remaining 2 sets, and having lost the first in such a tight tiebreak. Coric caught Nadal on quite a bad day and kept with him but I can't remember if he was ever behind in the scoreline (which could also be a good thing). However it is true that Coric had less experience on tour at that stage, but Rafa seemed like he didn't want to be in Basel with appendicitis full blown by that time (it was also his last tour match of the year)

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Yesterday marks Fabio's second consecutive victory over Nadal on Nadal's preferred clay. Over the past two years to date, Nadal has been more prone to upsets than other top players (except Wawrinka). Which upsets were most impressive to you and why? I do not include Berdych, Ferrer or Wawrinka on this list because of 'class' differences, however if those felt impressive to you, you can say so. Also if I've left anything out worthy of mention, same deal.

POLL LIST OF UPSETS (2014/2015)
1) Fognini I (Rio 2015 SF; def. Rafa 1-6 6-2 7-5)
2) Fognini II (Barcelona 2015 R3; def. Rafa 6-4 7-6(6))
3) Verdasco (Miami 2015 R3; def. Rafa 6-4 2-6 6-3)
4) Almagro (Barcelona 2014 QF; def. Rafa 2-6 7-6(5) 6-4)
5) Klizan (Beijing 2014; def. Rafa 6-7(7) 6-4 6-3)
6) Coric (Basel 2014; def. Rafa 6-2 7-6(4))
7) Kyrgios (Wimbledon 2014; def. Rafa 7-6(5) 5-7 7-6(5) 6-3 )
8) Berrer (Doha 2015 R2; def. Rafa 1-6 6-3 6-4)
9) Lopez (Shanghai R2; def. Rafa 6-3 7-6(6))
10) Dolgopolov (IW 2014 R3 def. Rafa 6-3 3-6 7-6(5))
11) Raonic (IW 2015 QF def. Rafa 4-6 7-6(10) 7-5)

***Extra one I forgot about, not on the poll: Dustin 'Dreddy' Brown at Halle 2014 R2 def. Nadal 6-4 6-1
Sticks out like a sore thumb.

·
53,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What called my attention is that in 5 of those 10 BO3 matches in the OP list (the match against kyrgios was BO5 that ended in 4 sets anyways) rafa actually won the first set and ended up losing the match. Thats 50% of matchest lost despite winning the first set..and then losing the coming two... Also 7/10 matches in BO3 were close matches in 3 sets.. which shoes how mentally weak rafa has become..

Even the three matches he failed to win a set.. he chocked the second set.. such as against Lopez, Coric and Fognini more recently...

The only time I saw Rafa blown off court was vs the rastaman.
Indeed. He should have put the Raonic match to bed this year. Closing sets and matches is quite a worry these days. Against Djokovic at MC he couldn't convert important pts and suddenly was behind. Yesterday, we know how that went, up a break several times in the second set and unable to hold on to them.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
For me it's Almagro and Dreddy.

·
53,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Although Kyrgios was impressive, I would have to pick Fognini for the following reasons.
1) Defeats occuring on clay: He beat Rafa twice in a row, on clay in two tournaments Rafa has had success in (Rio, and especially Barca - Nadal won this one 8 times in the period 2005-2013). This would be Nadal's earliest loss in Barcelona since 2004. Even though Fognini has shown pedigree on clay, Nadal has reigned for such a long time that it would be hard to see any other result.
2) Fognini is known to tank matches when things aren't going his way. In Rio, he was down a set 6-1 and down breaks twice, the second being from a net touch on BP. That could have set him off to disappear. Instead he won the next 6 games to take the second set 6-2 and kept up with Nadal throughout the 3rd. In Barcelona, down breaks in the second set, he broke back quickly to prevent Nadal establishing momentum. Key break when Rafa was serving for it helped him close it in two. Any Fognini meltdown could not be found.
3) Nadal's form started to come out, in a respectable showing at IW, and MC, beating Ferrer and Isner while giving Djokovic a decent battle.
He also avenged the loss to Almagro quite handily. It seemed that Nadal's confidence was starting to return. People expected lightning would not strike twice. Fognini showed otherwise in emphatic fashion.

Almagro's hot run would be similar, although helped by Nadal in the second set.

·
53,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Berdych at AO after being turkeyed and ostriched is the most impressive to me
I did not include that one, nor Wawrinka or Ferrer's victories because they've been in the top 10 for a while now. But yes Berdych shrugging off his turkey status was impressive and having the nerve to close it out in the tighter third set, if you discount just how bad Rafa was playing those first two sets at least.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Kyrgios played at the highest level to do it, and on the biggest stage. 2nd would be Fognini's win yesterday.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Upsets? I don't see upsets. Just superior players beating the self proclaimed mundane one.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Dustin Brown. He would've beat anyone that day.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Nick at Wimbledon, Nadal is still a much different player in the Slams than in the other tournaments. He wasn't even playing that bad, but the youngster had a great day.

The Second should be Fabio in Rio, he trolled Nadal so much that I had to laugh the whole 3rd set. Not giving shit any shit at all in the first set, not giving shit in the beginning of the second, than with starting to give some shit came the ultimate Djokovic net touch and he still won that set 6-2. :haha: :haha: Third set was a good one, great MP.

The third should be again Fabio, he played his first full-focused match since that match against Muprhy in DC. Great performance, Nadal wasn't even that bad, but Fabio was playing superbly.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I remember getting a stream going for Brown v Nadal when I saw he'd taken the first set, and it was incredible viewing. The guy was hitting everything and blowing Nadal off the court. Felt like the second set was over in 10 minutes. In a sense I think the grass upsets are less impressive because Nadal is finished on that surface, but it was still such an awesome display from the Dred. And the Kyrgios one, while on grass, came in a slam and he played such a mentally solid game for a young guy.

I know Almagro isn't exactly popular, but the guy deserves a lot of credit for his win as well. On such a dominant court for Nadal, with all the bad history Almagro had against Nadal, from a set down...

The first Fog match was just bizarre, because Fog didn't seem to give a shit in the first set and still ended up winning. Still seems crazy that Nadal has been losing matches like that. Lots of matches that he's just finding a way to lose, when in the past Nadal was known for the very opposite.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts