·
Banned
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's face it. It is this order, if only compared between them:

1) Rafael Nadal - most honest
2) Novak Djokovic
3) Roger Federer - least honest

Beware: This is not about who ist the better human being. That is another thread I've opened. It is not about what I like the most or what is the best it is simply about who is the most honest in public / media and so on.
And that is Rafael Nadal. Just a neutral conclusion as a matter of fact.

Nadal really says what he thinks most of the time, compared to the other two. Fed is the most dishonest between them. He hides what he thinks, does not openly talk after matches what he really felt and instead of that says something else. No wonder there were people accusing him of being fake, although we know that he is also that easy going guy but he is lying also. I do not buy what he says sometimes.

Djokovic is the most honest regarding his focus and motivation between them. He is not open in other areas what he really things about and fulfills a more presidential role when around tennis circuits but shares his personal thoughts via his own channels on completely different stuff.

That's it guys, what are your thoughts ? I know I am not wrong on this, so you can accuse me of writing nonsense. I do not care. It is too obvious. This is no hate. I respect them all and this is no positive or negative. It is simply stating neutral facts. And oh boy this is one if you really have a common sense and think about it what they used to say and how they said it.

If Big four was still a thing Murray might have challenged Rafa but is a second place after Nadal for me.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I’d honestly pick Nadal at the least considering he always plays the fake humble card. All big 3 are pr people tho so none of them say exactly what they think all the time.

·
Banned
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d honestly pick Nadal at the least considering he always plays the fake humble card. All big 3 are pr people tho so none of them say exactly what they think all the time.
Of course you are right that they are PR machines but betweem them it is still Nadal. That fake humble card is really funny and annoying but that's how he was raised as well and part of his personality to some degree. He is the most straight. But credits to you that is a nice mention which I did not have in mind and always showed his fakeness where I can only agree but does not change how I see the ranking.

·
Banned
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Young Federer and young Djokovic were considerably more honest and real than they are now.
Yes, indeed ! Nothing to argue against here.

·
justice for all
16,228 Posts
I think it’s tough to judge. How should we know what these guys REALLY think? All three have huge popularity and millions 💰 of reasons to say what their sponsors want to hear instead of the truth.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Fed is the most dishonest between them. He hides what he thinks, does not openly talk after matches what he really felt and instead of that says something else.
Isn't his honesty after USO2011 one of the top reasons why Djokotards hate him though? Or do you think those were actually lies?

But as others have said, they all are pr bottish in their own ways and I'm not sure how to rank 'm. As far as comments directly before/after a match, Federer seems to be the most to the point there usually, Djokovic (especially now) is just generally ok/nice about things, Nadal can be a bit vague / some overdone humility etc imo.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I don't now any of them weII enough outside tennis but if we go by their actions strictIy on the court, the MaIIorcan is the Ieast but Tio Toni was aIways Iike a surrogate father shadowing him so.......

·
Registered
17,762 Posts
Rafa is always saying whats on his mind thats true.

I don't know any of them weII enough outside tennis but if we go by their actions strictIy on the court, the MaIIorcan is probabIy the Ieast.
You don't need to. We judge this off of what we do know, hence the order in the OP (Rafa most honest, highest integrity).

As far as on court, probably Djokovic the least who acquired a nasty reputation of play acting and has been very unsportsmanlike in that regard.

Reactions: El_Toro

·
Registered
820 Posts
As posters here seem to agree, mostly big three are huge PR-bots. Still, they can be honest from time to time. However, it is also up to us fans to interpret the answers, whether they are true or not.

Nadal, in his no-nonsense way, often seems among the most honest, but (if you're feeling less generous) many replies can also be viewed as fake humbleness.

Journalist (hoping for an elaborate answer involving the playing conditions, previous injury history, etc.): "Rafa, why did you come up short today?"

Rafa: "He played better than me, no? Cannot win if the other guy plays better."

Federer, particularly in his younger days, was not afraid to blame poor luck, which I think was honest and a bit refreshing (as opposed to the more common PR-botting)

Journalist, after Federer has lost 6-2, 6-7, 6-7, being dominant for large stretches: "What can you say about the match?"

Federer: "He served well for the last two sets, credit to him. Sometimes on a fast court, there will be just a few points here and there deciding the match. In these situations, you just gotta be a bit lucky. I guess it simply was his turn today."

Journalist (after a painful Djokovic loss): "Could you point out what went wrong today?"

Djokovic: "No, I mean, I congratulate my opponent. He played great today, especially in the important moments. Came up with some huge passing shots when needed to, all the credit to him."

In conclusion, particularly after losses, Djokovic comes out as the biggest PR-bot, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is dishonest.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Nadal is not honest, he continually blames 'bad luck' for his injuries not recognising its his attritional style.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Please, people. Neither of them are honest. Those are athletes who will do A LOT to win, otherwise they would not be as successfull. They all hate losing - if they would show their true feelings, the naive crowd would be shocked.

In a way, its not their fault, since the public has this twisted expection that an elite athlete has to be "humble" and not to be too fixated on winning.

Just imagine the whining in MTF if Nadal actually would proclaim that he is the king of clay and will trash everyone who comes in his path. The same with Federer - could you imagine him claiming to be the GOAT? I would love it, of course, but the foolish crowd expects for them to hide their ambition.

Just take a look at Serena Williams, who actually displays her honest feelings quite often. She gets a lot of hate for it, but you have to be a fool not to think most athletes will think the same.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
It is not easy on the web, to find all the statements of the players.
However, it is also necessary to point out, in the context of a defeat, and hot, in press conference some pearls which marked the spirits.

So, just after the 2008 RG final, a French-speaking journalist asks Federer, probably hoping for a more substantial development, or at least, the reserves of convenience after such a rout.

- "Do you think you will ever win RG?"

Fed: "yes"

(silence in the room, which continues, because that was probably not the expected response ..)

Federer resumes, obviously annoyed.

- me, I think so, if you, you think that no, write that no, I can do nothing against that.

In the same spirit, we find in other quotes available, always, following this match.

-It is 2009, a little genius comes to see you and says: "This year, you are going to win only one tournament. You can choose between Wimbledon and Roland-Garros." Which tournament do you choose?

R.F .: I no longer answer these questions. They are too "idiots".

-Why not Roland-Garros?

R.F. Because I want to win everything. I have no preference.

It is certain that the itw prepared by the fire, in an armchair, far from the competition are more hushed :)

Another example, more recent, available on the web and that I can summarize.

Djokovic's defeat vs Cecchinato at RG 2018.

-I don't know if I'm going to play on grass :)

With of the killer's eye repeating :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Nadal is not honest, he continually blames 'bad luck' for his injuries not recognising its his attritional style.
The question was "How would you place them in the relative order of their honesty?". And the OP's answer is correct. Rafa is the most honest among the three and it's a toss up between the other two.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I don't now any of them weII enough outside tennis but if we go by their actions strictIy on the court, the MaIIorcan is the Ieast but Tio Toni was aIways Iike a surrogate father shadowing him so.......
Yeah, we don't know them either but it's funny that you bring court action into the debate. As long as we are talking about action on the court, how about when Fako destroyed his racquet multiple times on court and then tries to PR his way out in the conference? Or how about slyly declining the offer for an open roof in the Wimbledon'18 SF when play resumed the next day on a bright sunny day, while at other times trying to be magnanimous for PR?

"A man's true face is revealed when the stakes are high"

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The question was "How would you place them in the relative order of their honesty?". And the OP's answer is correct. Rafa is the most honest among the three and it's a toss up between the other two.
If you are not honest then it doesn't matter how big your dishonesty is. Fed is the most normal and down to earth, the others have too many mannerisms and mental twitches.

·
Registered
765 Posts
If you are not honest then it doesn't matter how big your dishonesty is. Fed is the most normal and down to earth, the others have too many mannerisms and mental twitches.
No chance, it is well know that Rafa is the most humble and down to earth guy, mostly due to his upbringing. Roger has always been a little cocky, prime example being his post match conference after USO '11 SF

Reactions: A_Skywalker

·
6,603 Posts
Yeah, we don't know them either but it's funny that you bring court action into the debate. As long as we are talking about action on the court, how about when Fako destroyed his racquet multiple times on court and then tries to PR his way out in the conference? Or how about slyly declining the offer for an open roof in the Wimbledon'18 SF when play resumed the next day on a bright sunny day, while at other times trying to be magnanimous for PR?

"A man's true face is revealed when the stakes are high"
Well of course Nole was going to keep the roof on at Wimbledon, when that was within the rules at the time.
Federer would have done the same, having won as Indoorerer in 2012.
Same as Nadal stopping play at RG 2012, when the momentum has shifted against him.
For all 3 it's about winning, regardless of the PR botting.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts