Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone watched this guy's matches? Self-taught, USTA 4.5, black belt in pushing. Seems to be doing decently on the circuit. Great comments to his matches:

-"Me after watching the first point... " oh boy, here we go again" lol Thank you for the upload"
-"Another soul harvested by the GOAT"
-"I can’t even watch the video without being incredibly aggravated..."
-"Just watching green shirt for three minutes makes my brain hurt and makes me want to cry. That’s not an insult; he’s very good at what he does. Playing someone like him is my tennis nightmare."
-"MEP's mental toughness is legendary"

Has a match scheduled against this tennis instructor:

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just found this interesting, how efficient of a strategy (his) pushing and retrieving can be. His technique looks atrocious, but dude nevertheless has the ability to put the ball back into the court with decent efficiency, enough to bother many people who don't have enough consistent power to hit through him, or good enough volleys to put away shorter balls. @Johnny Groove have you encountered these kind of players?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
4.0 at best. He is a righy playing lefty. How do I know? Because he looks just like I felt playing left when I hurt my right shoulder. He got quite good at lefty, give him that credit. But not fleet of foot and no offensive weapons. 4.0 at best.

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
4.0 at best. He is a righy playing lefty. How do I know? Because he looks just like I felt playing left when I hurt my right shoulder. He got quite good at lefty, give him that credit. But not fleet of foot and no offensive weapons. 4.0 at best.
More like 3.5 or 4.0 at best. Disgusting pusher.
No, he's indeed 4.5 (go look at the descriptions in the videos; they list his results/acumen). The level doesn't have anything to do with your technique or how aesthetic or powerful your hitting is (well, it does if you hit with power consistently, then you're legit). It's simply a result of the opponents you beat. If you consistently beat 4.5 level competition (like this guy), then that's your level, whichever way you manage to do it. Maybe you even get promoted to 5.0 (I don't think this guy would make it there though).

Personally would not get satisfaction from this kind of 'Brad Gilbert - Winning Ugly' type of play, since there's a self induced ceiling on how far you can go/develop (plus I relish the sensation of striking the ball cleanly). Personally would rather learn the further down the line more effective technique and style. But still a testament e.g. to how important consistency/averting UE's is. An interesting case. Dude answers questions in the comments of the last video. Apparently he learned this style by playing people far better than him early on, and this was the way that seemed to work to his advantage. Got the W's.

·
Your visions will happen
50,828 Posts
I just found this interesting, how efficient of a strategy (his) pushing and retrieving can be. His technique looks atrocious, but dude nevertheless has the ability to put the ball back into the court with decent efficiency, enough to bother many people who don't have enough consistent power to hit through him, or good enough volleys to put away shorter balls. @Johnny Groove have you encountered these kind of players?
Of course I have. He's garbage. 4.5 rating is also laughable. How boring it must be to play tennis like that with no weapons

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
For a second I thought this was my nephew's coach feeding balls to his U10 students.

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't understanding the praising, he looks easy to defeat.

This guy on the other hand:

Another triumph for consistency. Consistency + less power > More power + inconsistency. A reliable slice that guy has. 12:14, peak Federer 😄

·
Registered
75 Posts
i remember losing to such a guy in college..i thought i would beat him easily as he had just started playing tennis but i just could not hit through him and point after point made unforced errors in trying to hit the ball even harder...stuff of nightmares...

·
Registered
914 Posts
In my area we call such players Martians because that's where it looks like they learned to play.

Wish I had a video of some guys I play with, one of whom hits his forehand and backhand with the same side of the racket. Another chokes up so much he puts his index finger through the throat. Yet somehow they can play a half decent game, primarily because, like this guy, they cover a lot of court and get a lot of balls in play.

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
Johnny Groove played him back in '15, 6-0 6-0, I remember because I was at the club in Tulsa,OK where they played. It was rather humiliating for the guy but JG still gave him a firm handshake told him 'you'll improve son'. Class act.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
He’s a 4.5 because that scale has nothing to do with how his game looks, but the results that he gets.

Also no one should complain about this guys style when they lose to him because if they are a 4.5 or 5.0 and can’t put together a game plan to win than that’s their own fault.

·
Premium Member
11,977 Posts
I've been called a scrapper before, but Im a crafty one who can also hit great forehands, good dropshots and lobs.

This player is tough to play against and you better hope you are in great shape or else you will be hitting unforced errors and getting destroyed.

·
Premium Member
11,977 Posts
Johnny Groove played him back in '15, 6-0 6-0, I remember because I was at the club in Tulsa,OK where they played. It was rather humiliating for the guy but JG still gave him a firm handshake told him 'you'll improve son'. Class act.
Lol.

Id like to have a shot against Groove now. I think it would be much closer than years past.

Reactions: n00b

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I played these kind of guys before, and I never understood...how don't they get bored...I play him for 2 sets, he has to play that style all the time.
I'm actually a very agressive baseliner going for every opening, and when it's not clicking, it's like watching bad Verdasco, but infinitely worse.

·
Premium Member
11,977 Posts
I played these kind of guys before, and I never understood...how don't they get bored...I play him for 2 sets, he has to play that style all the time.
I'm actually a very agressive baseliner going for every opening, and when it's not clicking, it's like watching bad Verdasco, but infinitely worse.

Uh huh. This really what Noob is doing playing tennis :LOL:

Reactions: n00b
1 - 20 of 26 Posts