Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the biggest beatdown a player gave another in any given round of a slam? My list goes like this:

R1: 2012 W Federer def. Ramos Vinolas 6:1, 6:1, 6:1
R2: 2011 USO Djokovic def. Berlocq 6:0, 6:0, 6:2
R3: 2017 RG Nadal def. Basilashvili 6:0, 6:1, 6:0
R4: 2011 USO: Federer def. Monaco 6:1, 6:2, 6:0
QF: 2009 AO Federer def. Del Potro 6:3, 6:0, 6:0
SF: 2007 AO Federer def. Roddick 6:4, 6:0, 6:2
F: 2008 RG Nadal def. Federer 6:1, 6:3, 6:0

ofc as a federer Fan I am a bit biased towards him. What would be your picks? Let me know.
I’ve picked Big 3 matches for simplicity because you usually watch them and therefore remember them. I’m sure there were some another beatdowns by Lower ranked players in the first two rounds (against Q or WC). If you remember them feel free to post

Edit: please only matches from players still or very recently active, so no laver, borg or connors stuff. It might get out of hand otherwise

·
Registered
17,739 Posts
Obviously 2007 AO Fed does not belong here.

Roddick played absolutely gutless, weak, almost as if it was his goal to get Federer to zone in with those approach shots.

Fed played better in the '11 FO semi.

Heck, Rafa played better in the 09 AO SF which he escaped by a hair.

Score isn't everything.

I'll try to come up with something later. I can see Fed for 4R here. That was a majestic dispatching of Monaco (Roddick probably didn't play much better than Monaco).

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Only one slam match is listed there, also the round is not being specified
The 4 triple bagels in slam since 1980 are listed.

Roland Garros: K.Novacek - E.Bengoechea 6-0 6-0 6-0
Wimbledon: S.Edberg - S.Eriksson 6-0 6-0 6-0
US Open: I.Lendl - B.Moir 6-0 6-0 6-0
Roland Garros: S.Bruguera - T.Champion 6-0 6-0 6-0
The round is easy since the tournament and the year are indicated.

But I see you edited for only the big3 or active players , so yep, useless now.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Many beatdowns are the result of a player being injured but not wanting to quit, so it's difficult to judge.

·
|
15,331 Posts
Its hard for Nadal to deliver extreme beatdowns, because he doesn't get emotionally invested in a match until he's in danger.
So its hard for him to deliver his best tennis in a lopsided match.
He still runs after every ball (or most balls), and he still is focused, but the adrenaline rush is absent, and he needs that adrenaline rush to play his best tennis.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
One that stands out immediately is Djokovic absolutely murdering Ferrer in the Australian Open SF, I couldnt remember the year right away but it was 2013

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Its hard for Nadal to deliver extreme beatdowns, because he doesn't get emotionally invested in a match until he's in danger.
So its hard for him to deliver his best tennis in a lopsided match.
He still runs after every ball (or most balls), and he still is focused, but the adrenaline rush is absent, and he needs that adrenaline rush to play his best tennis.
Sure ? Nadal in PC are some of the most dominant tennis ever played .

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,289 Posts
One that stands out immediately is Djokovic absolutely murdering Ferrer in the Australian Open SF, I couldnt remember the year right away but it was 2013
Yes 6-2 6-2 6-1

There was also that USO SF match in 2015 where Djokovic dismissed defending champion Cilic 6-0 6-1 6-2

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
There was also that USO SF match in 2015 where Djokovic dismissed defending champion Cilic 6-0 6-1 6-2
You were 19 mins faster to write this. Guessing being 10 hours ahead than CET helped you

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I was there that day and it was a beatdown for the ages. Djokovic was in scary form that whole match.

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Meanwhile in AO11, ironically that same Ferrer roasting Nadal in QF 6-4, 6-2, 6-3.
To be fair, Nadal was definitely hurt that match (cant remember if it was from the start or injury happened during match), I remember being surprised be finished it out, didn’t retire, and tried to give full credit afterwards and not take away from Ferrer’s victory.
Not saying it affected the final outcome necessarily but it definitely affected the scoreline IMO

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
What the f?
Closest thing to a slam that I witnessed , jk.

Here is my legitimate pick which unfortunately does not have highlights. Of @hammett @cinnabar

After watching this match I was almost certain Del Potro was going to win Wimbledon. Ferrer destroyed Del Potro last year, but Del Potro was toying with Ferrer.

Unfortunately peaking Djokovic stood in his way.

EDIT: Check out matchpoint of this!!!

Reactions: hammett
1 - 20 of 33 Posts