Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which is the most difficult shot in tennis?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the most difficult shot in tennis? I was thinking about that in the past years and I have come up with 3 options:

1. Backhand smash. Arguably one of the most difficult shot in tennis, the smash from the backhand side is difficult because you have to swing from a really awkward position and backwards.

2. Jumping backhand. Here I feel we could make a distinction between 1HBH and 2HBH because you usually see it from 2HBHs and less often from 1HBHs. This shot is probably almost as difficult as the backhand smash but most of the time if you do it correctly you can pull out lightning winners.

3. Drive volley. Extremely effective shot but it is still hard to pull it out even if you get a slower high blocked ball back. Though it is difficult I would might say it is behind the other two shots by a larger margin.

In my opinion the order in terms of difficulty is 1.-2.-3..

Any thoughts on difference between amateurs and professionals are welcomed.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
2. Jumping backhand. Here I feel we could make a distinction between 1HBH and 2HBH because you usually see it from 2HBHs and less often from 1HBHs. This shot is probably almost as difficult as the backhand smash but most of the time if you do it correctly you can pull out lightning winners.
It is difficult, but here on MTF we're used to seeing Groove pull it off with ease.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Serve.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Backhand smash > Jumping backhand >>> Drive volley

Backhand smash is technically the most difficult, also because it's an awkward angle to generate power. Quite a few people are pretty good at it these days though.

Jumping backhand is bit tough to call. Difficult shot but also just not that often the 'best' or necessary option. Jumping single hander probably a bit more difficult than double.

Drive volley is pretty doable. Single handed backhand drive volley may be an exception. Even the wta players do it (I've seen some choose the forehand drive over an easy smash).

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I personally had always problems with smashes :lol: Serve is tough too, if you are not very tall, but you can find a way how to serve a relative bombs even if you are shorter.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Tweener.

I've tried so many god damn times to hit a twinner, but it just never works. You need insane timing and footwork to pull it off.

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
Backhand smash

Jumping backhand

Drive volley

i full agree with u, In my opinion the order in terms of difficulty is 1-2-3

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
I've already hit a few drive volley or backhand smash winners even if those shots are hard (especially the latter). As I have a one handed backhand, I'd say the jumping backhand is probably the toughest shot. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
29,536 Posts
Yes, for a player who has a 2-handed backhand. For a single handed bh player, jumping backhand gotta be the hardest.

Drive volley isn't THAT hard, I mean even I can hit them.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Tweener.

I've tried so many god damn times to hit a twinner, but it just never works. You need insane timing and footwork to pull it off.
I think the shot technically is less difficult and tweener depends on anticipation mostly. I would rank all of these 3 above it tbh, but with serve it could be right behind the drive volley.

EDIT: I agree with most of you that drive volley is a distant third, I originally wanted to specify that in the OP but somehow I didnt. Still I think it is the third one, but every opinion is welcomed. :yeah::yeah::yeah:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Backhand smash is technically the most difficult, also because it's an awkward angle to generate power. Quite a few people are pretty good at it these days though.

Jumping backhand is bit tough to call. Difficult shot but also just not that often the 'best' or necessary option. Jumping single hander probably a bit more difficult than double.

Drive volley is pretty doable. Single handed backhand drive volley may be an exception. Even the wta players do it (I've seen some choose the forehand drive over an easy smash).
This!

For the life of me I still can't play a proper backhand smash. If I do pull one off, it is more luck than anything else. Jumping backhand is not difficult (I play 2-handed) and a drive volley is pretty easy.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Backhand smash for me, I find it extremely difficult. I think Nadal is the best at doing it on tour.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Every shot that Federer hits! :worship:

Reactions: 17-6-302

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Obviously not many people here play tennis. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Tweener.

I agree. Backhand smash is difficult, sure, but in my experience if you focus on placement over power it's not that hard to hit a decent backhand smash. A tweener on the other hand is near impossible to hit inside the lines consistently.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts