Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the thread title says, who do you guys think are the most defensive players and more importantly WHY - your reasoning is important here

"Attack is the best form of defence"

This is an old adage/proverb from various great military thinkers, and so going by this...

-From the big 4 I'd say Fed is easily the most defensive
-From the top 100, Rosol is clearly the defence GOAT, possible the most defensive player of all time

Your thoughts? Any problems can be found? Or is there nothing? :banana: :clown:

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
close OP

ban thread

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thread OP

Close ban

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jesus guys I know it sounds trollish but I at least gave a source ( the quote ) as to my logic, so hear me out

-Djoker struggles with Fed cause of the variety, this offence in itself defends fed from djokers robotic accuracy and constant heavy blows, if fed just ballbashed ( 100% offensive ) he would be toast

-Fed struggles with Nadal... But the 5000RPM topspin is offensive in a way and so this solid defence against fed running around his BH ripping winners, or hitting BHDTL winners

-Rosol Blake etc who hit with HUGE power as depth and trouble Nadal... This is because the depth stops Nadal hitting with a lot of topspin, heavy topspin FH are his way of being offensive, and their deep heavy shots act like a defence by never letting Nadal attack. Even when they go long, Nadal has no rhythm and so can't attack the whole match.. Conversely if they hit short to nadals FH the point turns around

Many more comparisons, the main thing being an offensive manouever which is also solid defensively as it doesn't let the opponent attack. Feds offence doesn't negate nadals attacking ability so again a bad matchup, same for Murray, both love to counter punch and hit passing shots and they have winning H2H against fed as he is left defenceless unless JesusFed / Peak fed appears

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
The problem is that it doesn't literally mean that attacking = defense. The obvious implication of the quote is that by attacking you gain the initiative and deny your opponent the chance to attack you. A defense per se, but not literally. So it's really misleading to say that Federer has the best defense. Much more accurate to say that Federer is the best at gaining the initiative and denying his opponent the chance to play their attacking game.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts