Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is the most clutch player on tour?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's an interesting question. Of course the big four are all clutch in their own right. I remember when Federer was at his peak, and I'd root against him...But he would always have the big serve in the big moment. I think the players who are successfully aggressive and take control of the match in the most important moments are the most clutch. Nadal as well.. in the big points.. when he was dominating.. you could always count on him to rip a forehand or have an insane passing shot in the crucial moments. Now we're talking about two of the greatest players ever here, but there are other clutch players on tour? Who do you think is the most clutch player?

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
Nadal and it's not remotely close with anyone else listed. Don't let a servebot fool you into believing they're clutcher than they really are.

Edit: MURRAY CLUTCH?! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

·
Registered
894 Posts
Well, this year it's Djokovic by far. In general, I'd say Nadal was clutch over a longer period of his career. But since 2011, Djokovic.

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
Nadal and it isn't even close. Federer is servebot with poor game on return (BP especially). Djokovic always falls at RG. Murray fights sometimes, but sometimes he doesn't. Ferrer is clutch but talentless. Isner and Tsonga :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Gulbis.

6-0 in finals. :worship:

:devil:

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
You can't be the clutchest player on tour if you hit with Dull's net clearance or not really go for serves.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Ferrer in the poll ? :lol:
Otherwise, good poll options, even if you should have added Nishikori and del Potro IMO. :yeah:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Over a career? Nadal. Currently? Djokovic. I assume this thread is talking over a career otherwise an unfair comparison with Fed in twilight years, Nadal slumping etc.

I'd add Delpotro to the list too. Makes far more sense to include him than Ferrer as a poll option.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Nadal's supposed clutchness is so over rated on these forums.

Federers clutchness is also underrated. 2008 Wimbledon final comes to mind. That he was able to stay in the final for so long and how clutch he was on serves returns and backhands down the line on match points was unreal.

I also remember 2007 US Open final, was so clutch vs Nole.

Federers also mentally stronger, even when losing he rarely gets thumped. He would never lose to Tsonga 6-2 6-3 6-2 or Del Potro the way Nadal lost at 2009 USO. He just has no fight at all when he gets thumped, he just gives up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nadal's supposed clutchness is so over rated on these forums.

Federers clutchness is also underrated. 2008 Wimbledon final comes to mind. That he was able to stay in the final for so long and how clutch he was on serves returns and backhands down the line on match points was unreal.

Federers also mentally stronger, even when losing he rarely gets thumped. He would never lose to Tsonga 6-2 6-3 6-2 or Del Potro the way Nadal lost at 2009 USO. He just has no fight at all when he gets thumped, he just gives up.
Federer is clutchness is not underrated, but Murray's is underrated. Federer is typical servbot, if everything is not clicking since beginning, he lose (with few exceptions in long carier: young Nadal W, Roddick W,...). He won match in deciding set against Novak only twice in MS, I think, long ago.

Deciding set % * W–L
1. Serbia Novak Djokovic 74.47 140–48
2. Sweden Björn Borg 74.37 119–41
3. Spain Rafael Nadal 69.44 125–55
4. United Kingdom Andy Murray 69.14 121–54
5. United States Jimmy Connors 68.95 231–104
6. United States John McEnroe 68.61 164–75
7. United States Pete Sampras 68.23 189–88
8. South Africa Johan Kriek 67.56 125–60
9. Germany Boris Becker 67.07 163–80
10. Sweden Mats Wilander 66.30 122–62

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
That was more because Nole played his 1 GS final and was super unclutch. It's like saying Nadal was super clutch against Berdych at Wimbledon 2010 :lol:

Can't blame you for erasing the RG 2008 final from your memory.

Nadal can lose easier because he has nothing to fall back on when he gets overpowered from the baseline. Federer on the other hand can still servebot his way to a few holds.

Also "giving up" has nothing to do with being clutch, fighting spirit and clutchness are 2 different things.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts