Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night at the Tennis Channel Open, there was a ceremony honoring Andre Agassi's father, Mike Agassi. I'll admit, I didn't see the whole ceremony, but my friend, who did see it, told me that during his speech, Mike Agassi claimed to have invented both taking the ball on the rise and the inside-out forehand.

Now, I didn't watch tennis before Andre Agassi turned pro in 1986 (mostly because I hadn't been born yet), but I find it hard to believe that nobody on tour hit inside-out forehands before Agassi came around. And while I know that Agassi was one of the first to take the ball on the rise, I'm skeptical about whether Mike Agassi actually invented it.

Now, if Mike Agassi really did invent these things, then I have egg on my face, and I'll have to bow down to Mike Agassi and his revolutionary tactics. But if he didn't...:eek: This has got to be one of the most egotistical comments by a tennis parent.

·
May All Beings Be Happy!!
12,245 Posts
I remember when I first started learning tennis in the early 80's my coach then was teaching me to take the ball on the rise. That was before anyone heard of Agassi.

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
I remember when I first started learning tennis in the early 80's my coach then was teaching me to take the ball on the rise. That was before anyone heard of Agassi.
but it was an underground movement back then...agassi was the revelation :wavey:

anyway its good to have delusional parents. andre had alot of confidence because of that. i've seen him talk similiar about himself (although in a kind of joking manner) but no doubt it was all backed up by his game.

u cant be the best unless at least one more person believes it with you :) and certainly andre was one of the best..

and djokovic's parents are cool xD (his mother looks like she's gonna have a heart attack any moment)

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Damir Dokic was the worst one. Though he was more psycho than arrogant.

A

·
0 Posts
Hey why do you say the Djokovic's are arrogant, I'm not saying they are or aren't I just wanna know why you think they are???

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sharapov (Maria Sharapova's father) takes the prize imo. I find him so scary once I almost cried.

The other extreme of course is Oracene Williams. So laid back... Every one of her daughters' wins means another Gucci handbag.

·
Registered
27,280 Posts
Sharapov (Maria Sharapova's father) takes the prize imo. I find him so scary once I almost cried.

The other extreme of course is Oracene Williams. So laid back... Every one of her daughters' wins means another Gucci handbag.
More like another 50.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Novak's father is a very annoying character and I've always thought Novak is doing fine given the fact he's had to deal with that person all his life.His mother is nothing special, just another "hypersensitive mother type" who thinks his son is the best thing happened to tennis since it's invention.There are everywhere mothers like that.

Damir Dokic was not just annoying, but dangerous psychopath too, I don't know other tennis parent who made such a devastating effect to his son/daughter's career and personal life.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Novak's father is a very annoying character and I've always thought Novak is doing fine given the fact he's had to deal with that person all his life.His mother is nothing special, just another "hypersensitive mother type" who thinks his son is the best thing happened to tennis since it's invention.There are everywhere mothers like that.

Damir Dokic was not just annoying, but dangerous psychopath too, I don't know other tennis parent who made such a devastating effect to his son/daughter's career and personal life.
Like who?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

I think people do Oracene Williams a disservice. She seems a nice down to earth lady. I don't know where she gets her nerve and austerity from though, cos her daughters sure didn't inherit it.

Okay well they did, but they also got their dad's histrionics.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Jim Pierce and Marinko Lucic.

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
The Faker's father is the most annoying and discusting parent of them all.
But on the other hand, does anyone really know what that ass has to go through just to give his son the best possible tennis schools?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Like who?

I don't know, it's may be different in other regions, but in Serbia (generally) mothers look at their sons with deep admiration and act like they "gave birth to a king" (that's our expression, I hope it is relevant description in english)...

But, I don't think it is Serbian's mothers characteristic only, because the Edipus complex (as an extreme) is not our invention.

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
I don't know, it's may be different in other regions, but in Serbia (generally) mothers look at their sons with deep admiration and act like they "gave birth to a king" (that's our expression, I hope it is relevant description in english)...

But, I don't think it is Serbian's mothers characteristic only, because the Edipus complex (as an extreme) is not our invention.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Serbia is full of kings :banana: :cool: :rocker2:

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
difficult question. I mean. No one should be compared to djokovic's mother, it is like an insult.

she really ruins his son's image. I really like him, but the mother.. cant stand her

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Dijana really fucked it up for Novak. I don't like to see her at all. She made Srdjan look bad, and I don't think Srdjan is that bad. She probably made him go after Tsonga fans during the AO 2008 final.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts