Mens Tennis Forums banner
221 - 239 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Raducanu will go away. Maybe a Sharapova type of career best case scenario as she has the looks. But I doubt she sustains this. Very refreshing to see.
If Serena didn't exist, Sharapova could potentially have 13 slams. If Raducanu is Sharapova, who's the Serena? I don't see one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If Serena didn't exist, Sharapova could potentially have 13 slams. If Raducanu is Sharapova, who's the Serena? I don't see one.
yea, good point. More often than not the pretty girls just aren’t as dedicated. The press and attention get to them. I think Maria fell victim to the same. Who will be the Justine Henine, the Kim Clijsters type of rival? Time will tell. It’s great for women’s tennis, but she needs a main rival to really elevate WTA to where it was in the past.

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
haha Women's final was miles better...
Yeah, garbage match apart from Medvedev's servebotting and some epic points in the game where Djokovic smashed his racket. Everything from *5-2 onwards in the third set was an embarrassment to humanity

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
yea, good point. More often than not the pretty girls just aren’t as dedicated. The press and attention get to them. I think Maria fell victim to the same. Who will be the Justine Henine, the Kim Clijsters type of rival? Time will tell. It’s great for women’s tennis, but she needs a main rival to really elevate WTA to where it was in the past.
I think Osaka has the game if she can get the mind right (provided she even still has passion for the game).

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think Osaka has the game if she can get the mind right (provided she even still has passion for the game).
Osaka is old… and most likely done. These Russian or Eastern European girls are all the same as well. I don’t know. There’s a lot of questions on the women’s side in terms of the next draw. Osaka turning it around to have a 6-8 GS career seems slim at this point. Same with Barty or any of these other hasbeens. If Raducanu wins Wimbeldon next year we can talk.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
She's obviously a complete head case.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Would someone like Ivanisevic even play qualifiers if they weren't given a wildcard? Wouldn't it be seen as a humiliation?
Yeah that's what I suggested. He was in a hopeless run in the year before and was talking of retirement after losing 1st round at US open in 2000 but perhaps Wimbledon qualifiers he would've been a shot given his history at the tournament.

With all the talk last few days that seems remains one of the great slam wins for me, the fairytale element and he also beat lots of good grasscourt players in that run aswell (Roddick, Henman, Rafter etc).

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
Osaka is old… and most likely done. These Russian or Eastern European girls are all the same as well. I don’t know. There’s a lot of questions on the women’s side in terms of the next draw. Osaka turning it around to have a 6-8 GS career seems slim at this point. Same with Barty or any of these other hasbeens. If Raducanu wins Wimbeldon next year we can talk.
Osaka will turn 24 next month. Should have at least 6 good years still, maybe more. As said provided she still has love for the game; or will have sooner than later. A few even 30+ y/o GS winners during the last decade. Serena obviously. Li Na (AO 2014; 1 month short of 32 y/o). Pennetta (USO 2015; 33½ y/o). Kerber (Wimbledon 2018; 30½ y/o). I'm hoping she would bounce back because the Tour is obviously better with the best players healthy and playing.

Raducanu will eventually have the age related edge though so remains to be seen if a contemporary shows up to fend her off. Maybe Fernandez on clay at least? Well, need to see what Raducanu can even do going forward before I start handing her GSs. She did look good in terms of the eye test. Balanced game.

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
Osaka moves around the court slower than a 60's Soviet bus. Most overrated player ever.
Even so she has already bagged 4 GSs, most by anyone on WTA in recent years. Can outhit the opponents. Serena-esque.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
They certainly are here in the UK for obvious reasons.

I don’t watch or care about WTA but it has got to be more interesting than men’s tennis right now.

A declining 34 year old who cannot lose because everyone chokes or bends over when they see him :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:
How can you not get excited about two Canadians meeting in the final!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Heh-Heh. So, Raducanu is now "British," eyh? Reading comments in some of the British online papers a few months ago would make one wonder just how deep prejudice runs there (thick as mud, it seems).

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Heh-Heh. So, Raducanu is now "British," eyh? Reading comments in some of the British online papers a few months ago would make one wonder just how deep prejudice runs there (thick as mud, it seems).
Last time I checked she has Union Jack next to her name... so must be british.

·
Registered
579 Posts
She has been British her entire career. She is not British “now”

·
Registered
29 Posts
Were Nadal and Federer qualifiers at the time?
Unless you’re trying to assert that Nadal or Federer would’ve lost sets to much easier opponents in qualifying, that doesn’t support your argument. 21 straight (against more difficult opponents) is still more impressive than 20.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
They're banging on about the WTA final because a UK woman was in the final so the public who probably couldn't identify 10 professional male or female players watched one match. Just like at Wimbledon when Murray was at his peak suddenly everyone watched it and now the casual fan drifts away again whilst us hard core fans are glued watching Opelka win a 250 event.

221 - 239 of 239 Posts