Mens Tennis Forums banner
181 - 200 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I cant wait to see Raducanu's future in this sport, she's really lifted the spirits of British tennis fans like me!

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
Certainly not the main liberal outlets, not even such national broadcasters like BBC, ARD/ZDF and France 2/3. The choice for right medias is really limited these days.
Go on then

We've seen how Osaka's overhyping backfired this year, though certainly her own issues and denying pressers contributed to that; we may also witness how Raducanu's overhyping will induce some being fed up with it.
1) Was she overhyped? By who? What is an example? She's a 4x GS champion, 1 title also this year. Most by any player in the recent years on the WTA Tour.

2) What backfired precisely? If you mean that she's now considering a hiatus, not sure if any of it has to do with how she has been portrayed, or sth that was out of her control or not a result of her own thoughts and inclinations (but instead simply a result of someone creating unwarranted hype). She's still also the 2nd most highest earning tennis player for this year behind Federer. Backfired?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
No, but it shows the incredible depth, rather weakness of the women's field if a qualifier even if equipped with extreme talent as now the hype machine tells us is able to plow through the field like that.
That's the biggest difference, for at least the past 15-20 years on the ATP side a qualifier is almost certain to run into at least 1 of the very best if they want to do that unthinkable achievement of winning a slam as a qualifier, I mean who knows if Karatsev could have gone all the way in AO had Djokovic gone out in the early rounds? My own favourite player had a great run at the USO in '08 but if he was going to do it he'd have had to deal with Federer, Djokovic and Murray one after the other.

In the WTA at the moment there's not 1 player like that, even though Raducanu's run is a bigger achievement on paper I would put Clijsters' win in '09 as tougher + more of a surprise as she beat both Williams sisters when they were both still properly great players and Clijsters was completely unranked on the tour.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Lol.WTA is not a tennis.Stop this bs.Wta is a trash
Sorry dude, I used to think like this too but I have to admit that I was more pumped for the women's SF and F matches than I have been for any men's match in about a decade, including Federer matches.

When Fedal were facing off in 2008 it was really exciting but the 10,000th match between the corpses of Big 3 players, or a Big 3 pensioner vs some next gen mug, is extremely boring now. The men's tour needs a Raducanu.

·
Premium Member
29,050 Posts
That's the biggest difference, for at least the past 15-20 years on the ATP side a qualifier is almost certain to run into at least 1 of the very best if they want to do that unthinkable achievement of winning a slam as a qualifier, I mean who knows if Karatsev could have gone all the way in AO had Djokovic gone out in the early rounds? My own favourite player had a great run at the USO in '08 but if he was going to do it he'd have had to deal with Federer, Djokovic and Murray one after the other.
No, Karatsev would have been beaten by Medvedev in that case in the final.
You are reading my mind btw.

In the WTA at the moment there's not 1 player like that, even though Raducanu's run is a bigger achievement on paper I would put Clijsters' win in '09 as tougher + more of a surprise as she beat both Williams sisters when they were both still properly great players and Clijsters was completely unranked on the tour.
They thought that Barty could be that player as some equivalent of #1, but she failed.
All this shows the inadequacy of the women's field and their inconsistency, even at the slams.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Sorry dude, I used to think like this too but I have to admit that I was more pumped for the women's SF and F matches than I have been for any men's match in about a decade, including Federer matches.
u can be pumped for whatever u want.But it doesn't mean that WTA is not a trash.Some challengers also can be interesting,but quality will still be low(with some exceptions).

Even bad and low quality ATP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any WTA match.

this whole thread is an insult to mens tennis

Reactions: wintermoon13

·
29,768 Posts
this is completely true but blame NextGen for being largely bang average overhyped loudmouths, and for having an abuser in their ranks.

Put Wawrinka or del Potro let alone Federer, Nadal or Murray in Medvedev's place tomorrow and that match gets easy top billing.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
this is completely true but blame NextGen for being largely bang average overhyped loudmouths, and for having an abuser in their ranks.

Put Wawrinka or del Potro let alone Federer, Nadal or Murray in Medvedev's place tomorrow and that match gets easy top billing.
correct if Zverev, Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Rublev or any of them were in the slam winning position now, alot of people would be excited about a change of the guard, its only natural.

Equally, true tennis fans should be excited about the potential of real history being made, Djokovic could join Budge and Laver to achieve something momentous.

·
Premium Member
29,050 Posts
1) Was she overhyped? By who? What is an example? She's a 4x GS champion, 1 title also this year. Most by any player in the recent years on the WTA Tour.

2) What backfired precisely? If you mean that she's now considering a hiatus, not sure if any of it has to do with how she has been portrayed, or sth that was out of her control or not a result of her own thoughts and inclinations (but instead simply a result of someone creating unwarranted hype). She's still also the 2nd most highest earning tennis player for this year behind Federer. Backfired?
Backfired as her image seriously suffered during the RG exit, WB withdrawal and Olympics beatdown. The recent defeat was only the final nail in the coffin.
Of course not for the general public and the liberal/woke sponsors, but some of the tennis audience definitely.
Feel free to discuss it however in WTA topic, not here as it is far leading and has like very little relation the this thread's purpose.

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
Backfired as her image seriously suffered during the RG exit, WB withdrawal and Olympics beatdown. The recent defeat was only the final nail in the coffin.
Of course not for the general public and the liberal/woke sponsors, but some of the tennis audience definitely.
Feel free to discuss it however in WTA topic, not here as it is far leading and has like very little relation the this thread's purpose.
Didn't suffer much tbh, as she redeemed herself by coming out and saying that after reflecting on it she now feels she overreacted in the situation. WB withdrawal and Olympics losses shouldn't be made out to be bigger than they are. Losses happen to all, and her mind isn't in the right place as she now again reiterated.

If she can figure things out in her head, nothing points at her not remaining a force to be reckoned with going forward. The game/weapons are there.

You didn't elaborate how she was overhyped and by who? As said, she was the leading figure on the tour in recent years with 4 GSs. One short of Sharapova and Hingis, albeit those two did also show more diversity by winning slams on multiple surfaces.

·
Registered
459 Posts
To the best of my knowledge Sharapova defeated Serena Williams there... who was a two times defending champ and a 6 times slam titlist at thast time.
How on earth is that comparable to 2 unseeded teenagers battling it out?!? Some of you guys managed to come up with the weirdest and most forced comparisons ever.

I don't hate the West, I just hate this kind of artificial superiority that you just tried to allude here to. That's a big difference!
No worries. That was support for your man. I'm implying that their media darling beautiful ballerina one handed princess has been overshadowed before. It's absurd to think Djokovic is being overshadowed by the women's final anywhere except for GB and Canada.

As someone who lives in the USA, I think superiority is too simplistic of a diagnosis. The bigger problem is selfishness coupled with ignorance and no perspective.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
No, but it shows the incredible depth, rather weakness of the women's field if a qualifier even if equipped with extreme talent as now the hype machine tells us is able to plow through the field like that.
I guess it doesn't say much about men's tennis that 114 ranked 27 year old qualifier Aslan Karatsev reached the AO semis.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Certainly not the main liberal outlets, not even such national broadcasters like BBC, ARD/ZDF and France 2/3. The choice for right medias is really limited these days.

We've seen how Osaka's overhyping backfired this year, though certainly her own issues and denying pressers contributed to that; we may also witness how Raducanu's overhyping will induce some being fed up with it.
How has Osaka’s overhyping backfired? She got more famous and got more support than ever before

·
Premium Member
29,050 Posts
You didn't elaborate how she was overhyped and by who? As said, she was the leading figure on the tour in recent years with 4 GSs. One short of Sharapova and Hingis, albeit those two did also show more diversity by winning slams on multiple surfaces.
By the liberal/leftist/woke media, due to her involvement in the BLM cause.

How has Osaka’s overhyping backfired? She got more famous and got more support than ever before
Only for brainwashed people like you.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Only for brainwashed people like you.
I find her extremely annoying but this year made her more famous and beloved than ever before. Michelle Obama, Hilary Clinton, AOC, Lebrone James, Micheal Phelps, Megan Markle and many many others offered support to her and she had the entirety of western media beneath her feet. I don’t get how you can say this backfired?

·
Premium Member
22,165 Posts
I guess it doesn't say much about men's tennis that 114 ranked 27 year old qualifier Aslan Karatsev reached the AO semis.
He also had a very kind draw, for example while in QF Nadal got Tsitsipas, Djokovic got Zverev, he got... Dimitrov. Otoh funny how none of the weak era chumps have any issue with two teenagers embarrassing the entire top 10.

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
By the liberal/leftist/woke media, due to her involvement in the BLM cause.
The attention she got for her BLM stances in liberal medias was predicated on her being in the spotlight by winning GS titles. Furthermore the pieces about her BLM stances have very little to do with her being hyped up / overhyped tennis wise. Again, she has been the most successful player on the WTA Tour in recent years.

181 - 200 of 239 Posts