Mens Tennis Forums banner
341 - 360 of 365 Posts
Stars on Court.

On 22 June 2013 Steffi Graf and Andre Agassi will play their first ever tennis exhibition match in Switzerland:
at ‘Stars on Court‘ in the BossardArena in Zug.

Steffi Graf and Henri Leconte against Andre Agassi and Mansour Bahrami: this spectacular tennis exhibition match
as well as other top-class encounters await you at the BossardArena in Zug. In addition, a sensational show
programme will be on offer to you. Come along and don’t miss your chance to see these top athletes.

ay 12
Australian Open diary: Andre Agassi amazed at game's rising standard
The former world No1 believes he 'would have had to be a different player, would have had
to have a different body' to compete with the leading players today

Share 4

'It’s been amazing watching the standard continually get better. You wonder how it’s possible to continue at that sort of rate,' says Andre Agassi, the former world No1. Photograph: Marianna Massey/Getty Images
How would Andre Agassi beat Novak Djokovic? "Let's see," he ponders. "…I would have probably gotten in a fight with him in the locker room before the match. I might have had a chance there."

As for tennis, the former world No1 is as taken aback as anyone by the rising standard at the top of the men's game.

"It's been amazing watching the standard continually get better. You wonder how it's possible to continue at that sort of rate. What [Roger] Federer did when he came and when I said goodbye, a lot had to do with what I knew was untouchable.

"It's just a different standard of tennis. It's different rules of engagement when guys can do what these guys can do. I don't recognise it from a standpoint of strategy, because I counted on getting somebody behind in a point and then slowly smothering them. But nobody's behind in a point. You never know when they're behind in a point. That would have eliminated any ability I had to move forward in the court.

"I would have had to be a different player, would've had to have a different body. It means the game has gotten a lot better. Fed raised it; [Rafael] Nadal matched and raised it; [Novak] Djokovic, for that intense little period of time, even raised it. It seemed like last year settled down a bit, and now all of a sudden [Andy] Murray is in the equation.

"When I see those top three guys, I see what history will say is the golden age of tennis. You're talking about arguably the three best guys. Djokovic will still need some distance to cover, but best of all time, if you're having that discussion in the same generation, it's remarkable."

Agassi agreed that Lance Armstrong's recent admission that he doped during his cycling career has thrown the spotlight on all sports, including tennis, and said stricter testing in his own playing days "would have kept me from destroying a few years of my life. That's what I did to myself with the use of the recreational, destructive substance of crystal meth. It would have saved me on a lot of fronts."

As for testing, he said: "The more the better as far as I'm concerned. The stricter, the better; the more transparency the better; the more accountability the better. Describing a problem is a heck of a lot easier than solving it, is one thing I've learned."

Asked if it was possible for modern players to recover as quickly as they do without using performance-enhancing drugs – as the former Belgian tour player Christophe Rochus suggested last week – Agassi had a more circumspect view.

"I marvel at [what they do], first of all. My whole game was based on playing with that sense of urgency and to force guys to be ballistic out there, to treat a marathon like a sprint. I benefited from raising the stakes for that. I had more or less four hours in me before I knew I was running on borrowed time physically. That's four hours of me running other people.

"They're more calculated now. They play slower, so six hours is not the same six hours that I played. But they're also much better athletes. They also appear [in the lower body] to be a lot stronger than I was; upper body probably not as much. But my game was never about using my legs as much as it was bullying the ball around the court.

"So, yes, I believe it's achievable. I think they've gotten very aware at an early age how important it is to be prepared, and I think there's a lot you can gain from training right and training smartly.

"So, I don't watch it and wonder in light of the Lance situation. But I also have the luxury of knowing that there's no time to ... The negotiation of what one would have to go through to figure a way around [testing] or to figure a short cut seems implausible."

Implausible does not mean impossible. And, earlier, Agassi had this to say when he heard about Lance Armstrong: "My reaction to it is the same as everybody. It was shock, hard to stomach, sadness, disappointment. I think 'anger' is a fair word. I was certainly one of those that flat out believed him that long period of time. The thought of it not being the case was unconscionable to me."

Unconscionable. That's probably a better word. You'd hope it doesn't have to be used in tennis in the near future.

Stars on Court
Saturday, 22nd June 2013

On the 22nd of June 2013 Steffi Graf and Andre Agassi will play their first tennis exhibition match in Switzerland!

In front of an audience of around 6’000, 2 mixed doubles matches will be held. An extensive program made up of music and entertainment gives the occasion distinctive character. The event will be hosted by Rainer Maria Salzgeber. Personalities such as Heinz Günthardt, Henri Leconte and Mansour Bahrami will also be there!

Exclusively through the Parkhotel, can executive boxes direct at the center court be rented. Use this opportunity, to take part in the once in a life time event and make your colleagues, customers or business partners very happy.

Details & VIP Box rental:
Parkhotel Zug
Tel. 041 727 48 48

stefan.gareis(at)hotelbusinesszug.ch

Mr. Stefan Gareis, General Manager

From Official Facebook page of Stefanie Graf:

"Exciting day for Andre and the 900 kids at Doral Academy! Today they celebrated the grand opening of the first Nevada charter school opened through Andre's innovative charter school facilities fund."

International Tennis Premier League draft:....

http://sports.ndtv.com/tennis/news/...a-mirza-and-rohan-bopanna-to-represent-mumbai

World number one among women players, Serena Williams will lead Singapore. Yesteryear's American super star Andre Agassi, Tomas Berdych, former world number one from Australia Lleyton Hewitt, Bruno Soares, Patrick Rafter, Daniela Hantuchova and Nick Krygios complete the Singapore team.

The matches will be played in one city for three days, beginning in Singapore from November 28.

From there it will move to Bangkok (December 2,3,4), Mumbai (December 7,8,9) and Dubai (December 11, 12,13).

Roddick, McEnroe, Agassi and Sampras Set to Compete in 2015 PowerShares Series Tennis Circuit

Champions Circuit to play in 12 North American Markets

http://www.powersharesseries.com/ro...mpete-2015-powershares-series-tennis-circuit/
in Spring SwingNEW YORK, December 9, 2014 – InsideOut Sports & Entertainment, a division of Horizon Media, the largest and fastest growing privately held media services agency in the world, today announced the dates, venues and fields for its 2015 PowerShares Series tennis circuit that will feature 2014 tour champion John McEnroe defending his crown versus a group of legends led by Andy Roddick, Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras and Jim Courier.The North American tennis circuit for champion tennis players will visit 12 cities in 2015, kicking off on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 in Salt Lake City and concluding Saturday, May 2 in Vancouver. Players competing on the 2015 circuit are McEnroe, Roddick, Agassi, Sampras, Courier, James Blake, Michael Chang and Mark Philippoussis. Each one-night event will feature two one-set semifinal matches, followed by a one–set championship match.Tickets and unique VIP fan experience packages are now on sale. Tickets start at $30 and all ticket and VIP information is available at www.PowerSharesSeries.com.“We are excited once again to present the PowerShares Series and bring this entertaining brand of tennis to many new markets,” said Jon Venison, Partner at InsideOut Sports & Entertainment. “It was quite something to see John McEnroe win the PowerShares Series points title last year against his much younger competition, but I know the younger generation, led by Andy Roddick and James Blake, will want to steal his thunder in the upcoming season.” The full 2015 PowerShares Series schedule with field of players is as follows:Tuesday, March 24: Salt Lake City, Utah (Huntsman Center at the University of Utah) “Champions Shootout” featuring Andre Agassi, Jim Courier, James Blake, Mark PhilippoussisWednesday, March 25: Los Angeles, Calif., (Galen Center at USC) “SoCal Honda Dealers Helpful Cup” featuring Pete Sampras, Andy Roddick, Jim Courier, James BlakeWednesday, April 1: Lincoln, Neb., (Pinnacle Bank Arena at Univ. of Nebraska) “Champions Cup Presented by Woods Park Tennis” featuring John McEnroe, Andy Roddick, Jim Courier, James BlakeThursday, April 2: Chicago, Ill. (Sears Centre) “PowerShares QQQ Challenge” featuring John McEnroe, Andy Roddick, Jim Courier, James BlakeThursday, April 16: Austin, Texas (Cedar Park Center) “Champions Shootout” featuring John McEnroe, Andy Roddick, Jim Courier, James BlakeFriday, April 17: Little Rock, Ark. (Jack Stephens Center at the UALR) “Champions Cup” featuring John McEnroe, Andy Roddick, Jim Courier, Mark PhilippoussisSaturday, April 18: Dallas, Texas (Moody Coliseum at SMU) “Champions Showdown” featuring John McEnroe, Andy Roddick, Jim Courier, Mark PhilippoussisWednesday, April 22: Boston, Mass. (Agganis Arena at Boston University) “Champions Cup” featuring John McEnroe, Andy Roddick, Jim Courier, James BlakeThursday, April 23: Richmond, Va., (Siegel Center at VCU) “Champions Challenge” featuring John McEnroe, Andy Roddick, Jim Courier, James BlakeWednesday, April 29: Minneapolis, Minn. (Target Center) “Champions Shootout” featuring John McEnroe, Andy Roddick, Michael Chang, James BlakeThursday, April 30: Cincinnati, Ohio (Cintas Center at Xavier) “Champions Showdown” featuring John McEnroe, Andy Roddick, Michael Chang, James BlakeSaturday, May 2: Vancouver, Canada (Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre at UBC) “Champions Showdown” featuring Pete Sampras, John McEnroe, Michael Chang, Mark Philippoussis In 2014, McEnroe won the points title for the first time in the nine-year history of Champions Series tennis by winning events in Kansas City, Indianapolis, Nashville and Charlotte. McEnroe was followed in the points standings by Blake in second place and Roddick in third place.

341 - 360 of 365 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.