Votes: 6 18.8%
  • too close call

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would win from those? It would be rockets flying from both side.. I just cannot imagine a match like this..

What do you think about that?

I think Gonzalez has the edge, however the other two are up there.. tsonga being more effective at the net.. and wawrinka being the most solid from baseline..

Peak gonzalez will remain as one of the most attacking tennis players of all time.. I remember one time he played against delpo and he made look like a defensive player.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Tsonga's awesome net play gives him the edge in my opinion.
Off the FH : Gonzalez > Tsonga > Wawrinka
Off the BH : Wawrinka > Tsonga > Gonzalez
At the net : Tsonga >>>> Gonzalez/Wawrinka

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tsonga's awesome net play gives him the edge in my opinion.
Off the FH : Gonzalez > Tsonga > Wawrinka
Off the BH : Wawrinka > Tsonga > Gonzalez
At the net : Tsonga >>>> Gonzalez/Wawrinka
But net play makes a much smaller % on HC matches than typical baseline rallies...

I give the edge to gonzo... Its a close call between Tsonga and Wawrinka though...

I think Wawrinka would beat the other two on his peak though..

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Tsonga. The other two's aggression was basically ballbashing from the baseline, while Tsonga actually came forward to great effect. Still overall, I'd rank these three players Gonzalez 2007 > Tsonga 2008 >>> Wawrinka 2014

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
But net play makes a much smaller % on HC matches than typical baseline rallies...

I give the edge to gonzo... Its a close call between Tsonga and Wawrinka though...

I think Wawrinka would beat the other two on his peak though..
In my opinion Tsonga would beat Wawrinka. At AO 2014, I thought Stan was pretty lucky (one retirement, one W/O, Nadal injured), also we shouldn't forget Berdych's choke against the latter in SF - many DFs in 3rd and 4th set tiebreaks. I'd say Tsonga's much better serve would favor him, not to mention he can avoid those baseline rallies by charging the net.

Also, I think Tsonga would have the edge over Gonzalez, there's absolutely nothing the latter could do whenever Jo comes to the net to Gonzo's BH.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my opinion Tsonga would beat Wawrinka. At AO 2014, I thought Stan was pretty lucky (one retirement, one W/O, Nadal injured), also we shouldn't forget Berdych's choke against the latter in SF - many DFs in 3rd and 4th set tiebreaks. I'd say Tsonga's much better serve would favor him, not to mention he can avoid those baseline rallies by charging the net.
By this measure sampras had probably the most offensive game-style of all time..

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Tsonga because he was aggressive in all phases of the game.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Gonzo was more aggressive. Not saying he was a better player that year but Wawrinka played more all-around tennis while being super explosive.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
Tsonga. The other two's aggression was basically ballbashing from the baseline, while Tsonga actually came forward to great effect. Still overall, I'd rank these three players Gonzalez 2007 > Tsonga 2008 >>> Wawrinka 2014
Tsonga played better tennis whole tournament, than Gonzalez.
Gonzalez was lucky vs Del Potro, where JDMP was better player in 1st set and retired in 5th set (cramp).

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Who would win from those? It would be rockets flying from both side.. I just cannot imagine a match like this..

What do you think about that?

I think Gonzalez has the edge, however the other two are up there.. tsonga being more effective at the net.. and wawrinka being the most solid from baseline..

Peak gonzalez will remain as one of the most attacking tennis players of all time.. I remember one time he played against delpo and he made look like a defensive player.

Yeah Delpo is definitely not about all-out aggression. Gonzo was a fun guy when he was on his game, was good for the game too. A very talented ballbasher from both wings, if you will.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You mean to tell me that Sampras was an offensive player!? :eek:
I mean the "most" attacking player.. BEcause going to net and try to finish the point fast is more offensive than try to hit winners from baseline? ???:confused:

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Tsonga played better tennis whole tournament, than Gonzalez.
Gonzalez was lucky vs Del Potro, where JDMP was better player in 1st set and retired in 5th set (cramp).
Wouldn't read too much into that, even as a teenager del Potro was still a nightmare matchup for other power baseliners... in any case, not much to separate Tsonga and Gonzalez's performances.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gonzo was more aggressive. Not saying he was a better player that year but Wawrinka played more all-around tennis while being super explosive.

Agressive tennis players I put them on this tier.. Not by how agressive they were but at how complete their tennis apparently was..

1) Delpotro, Wawrinka

2) Tsonga

3) Gonzalez , Blake

Funnily enough the most aggressive of the pack were the most one-dimensional

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
I mean the "most" attacking player.. BEcause going to net and try to finish the point fast is more offensive than try to hit winners from baseline? ???:confused:
Yes.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Wawrinka'14 level is so much overrated down here..That Nadal's back muscle has altered the narrative of the reality of him basically playing a 1 or 2 great sets in the QF vs. Djokovic to something approaching unstoppable peak.. Yeah, he was crushing all comers as the scores below tell :rolleyes:

Code:
[B]First Round[/B]: Andrey Golubev of Kazakhstan; 6-4, Retired
[B]Second Round[/B]: Alejandro Falla of Colombia; 6-3,6-3,(4)6-7,6-4
[B]Third Round[/B]: Vasek Pospisil (28) of Canada; Walkover
[B]Fourth Round[/B]: Tommy Robredo (17) of Spain; 6-3,7-6(3),7-6(5)
[B]Quarterfinals[/B]: Novak Djokovic (2) of Serbia: 2-6,6-4,6-2,3-6,9-7
[B]Semifinals[/B]: Tomas Berdych (7) of Czech Republic; 6-3,(1)6-7,7-6(3),7-6(4)
[B]Final[/B]:  Rafael Nadal(1) of Spain; 6–3, 6–2, 3–6, 6–3

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I'm not sure why Wawa AO '14 is here. He played well there but he's had more impressive runs in terms of the level of tennis played. Whereas Gonzales and Tsonga probably played their best tournaments in the ones listed.

Gonzales from the given options.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts