Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like going into essay mode today, so brace yourself>:)

In the top 60 of current ATP rankings, there are 15 players born in the interval of 1995 and 1999 (Zverev, Tsitsipas, Edmund, Kyrgios, Coric, Chung, Khachanov, Shapovalov, Rublev, Tiafoe, Jarry, De Minaur, Marterer, Medvedev and Berrettini). Meanwhile, there are only 14 players born in the interval of 1990 and 1994( Dimitrov, Thiem, Goffin, Schwartzman, PCB, Poullie, Sock, Cecchinato, Dzumhur, Raonic, Krajinovic, Basilashvili, Fucsovics and Struff). BTW, there are 23 1985-1989 players in the top 60, and 8 1980-1984 players) If you count top 50, then they are tied at 13 players each. In comparison, exactly 5 years ago there were only 6 90-94 players in the top 60.

Now, this seems like a pretty telling stat about how weak the 90-94 generation is, not only in its failure to produce dominating players, but in overall depth as well. It’s general consensus that 24-28 is normally the peak age of tennis players, but the current crop of 24-28 y.o. players is not doing any better than the 19-23 y.o. crop, not to mention the incredible gap between them and the 29-33 y.o. crop.

At the same time, this should be signaling a true change of the guard to come soon. The 85-89 generation had around 17 players in the top 60 10 years ago, which is only marginally better than the current 95-99. Of course, a weak previous generation could help with this stat, but I believe that the level required to make top 50 or 60 is pretty stable. Thus, maybe we won’t see another Nadal or Djokovic, but NextGen should be able to maintain the high standards for top players pretty well when they begin to dominate.

With this trend, I think the 95-99 generation will leave the 90-94 one in the dust in 1-2 years, it could be a faster shift than what we are expecting.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts