·
Premium Member
29,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Solid stuff. Dat tweener lob doe

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I remember some clown were trying to argue that tweener lobs were extremely rare in the Sousa endless loop tweener lob thread. :lol:

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Kei is a horrible match up for Goffin just him with more whip on the ball and greater depth, decent match. Also that Tweener lob :worship:

·
Premium Member
9,353 Posts
Tennis in ruins.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Goffin is terrible under pressure, selfdestructed one game and that was it. Also first serve % is too low to beat the top guys.

Nishikori was solid, nothing more. Could have played better. Liked the fh dtl winner from Goffin and the lob from Nishikori right after in the last game of the first set besides the tweener.

·
Premium Member
29,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nishikori also played a delicious running backhand topspin lob at the end of the first set. That was a beauty.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,859 Posts
Kei is just a more solid, focused and aggressive player than Goffin is, hitting 30 clean winners to Goffin's 14. Had Goffin running left and right. That said, I felt Goffin played quite well to keep serving 1st serves and rally with Kei but succumbed to the pressure when Kei was deep in his service games. Good to see some nice serving from Kei (though % dipped a bit in early second set), racking up 10 aces.

Wasn't his best performance by any means but the fact is doing so comfy and not feeling the need to go for too much is good. Under control.

A good shot to serve Nadal some revenge medicine after Madrid.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
10 ACEs :worship:
Real servebot

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
It's kind of heartbreaking to see Goffin play Kei, to be honest. He probably thinks that he must overcome someone who's a slightly older and better version of himself to aim for bigger things, but you just get the vibe that no matter what, Nishikori will come out on top in the end. I was a player myself, and there are few things in tennis worse than getting continuously beaten by someone of a similar style and physical attributes. It makes you question your own game a little bit.

·
54,859 Posts
It's kind of heartbreaking to see Goffin play Kei, to be honest. He probably thinks that he must overcome someone who's a slightly older and better version of himself to aim for bigger things, but you just get the vibe that no matter what, Nishikori will come out on top in the end. I was a player myself, and there are few things in tennis worse than getting continuously beaten by someone of a similar style and physical attributes. It makes you question your own game a little bit.
I get what you mean. For Federer to beat Sampras was looking at his own idol.
And here, well they are similar. In a way some might say Ferrer was an older model for Nishikori (though their overall games are different and Kei's offense is much better, as with BH), it took a while for Nishikori to finally get the upper hand over Ferrer last year (having lost to him, easily in 2013) and now since seems to show Ferrer who's boss.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Funny you mentioned Ferrer. When Nishikori was around 20-21, after he came back from the long hiatus, someone (I think it was Brad Gilbert) tried to make him emulate Ferru, presumably because they are both short players with good legs, with that infamous "winning ugly" as the slogan. It actually derailed Nishikori's career, as he turned overly defensive, and his famous FH (Yes, FH used to be his biggest weapon back then, as hard to believe as it is now) was nearly gone. The highlight of that era is his humiliating loss to Murray, where he could do absolutely nothing, ZERO, against a far superior defensive player.

He would switch back to the attacking style, and then Michael Chang took it to another level by forcing him to go even more attack-oriented than he already was.

In hindsight, that setback helped him hone the necessary defensive skills, as he used to be very weak in that department. But many long-time Nishikori believers still attribute to it the fact that it took him a little longer than expected to reach where he is now.

Interesting, isn't it?

·
54,859 Posts
Funny you mentioned Ferrer. When Nishikori was around 20-21, after he came back from the long hiatus, someone (I think it was Brad Gilbert) tried to make him emulate Ferru, presumably because they are both short players with good legs, with that infamous "winning ugly" as the slogan. It actually derailed Nishikori's career, as he turned overly defensive, and his famous FH (Yes, FH used to be his biggest weapon back then, as hard to believe as it is now) was nearly gone. The highlight of that era is his humiliating loss to Murray, where he could do absolutely nothing, ZERO, against a far superior defensive player.

He would switch back to the attacking style, and then Michael Chang took it to another level by forcing him to go even more attack-oriented than he already was.

In hindsight, that setback helped him hone the necessary defensive skills, as he used to be very weak in that department. But many long-time Nishikori believers still attribute to it the fact that it took him a little longer than expected to reach where he is now.

Interesting, isn't it?
Brad Gilbert is an a**hole, no offense. I know, saw how he played in 2008 - like damn! Then 2010 :sad:
I think late 2011, he switched into a hybrid, counterpunching clean strokes (that Djokovic Basel match) and by 2012-2013 he was really a force to be reckoned with. If you watch those Tokyo 2012 matches against Berdych, Baghdatis and then Raonic, you'll see what I mean - but he was still very 'lightweight'. But 2014 was a hardened copy really started to rip into things on both wings and take control. And now, what you see is what you get. Sometimes I struggle to even follow the pace of this guy.

Yeah even in this Tokyo 2012 match Kei did not stand right on the baseline for his shots, for several he'd sort of just redirect them - off some hardhitting from Berdych, no problem. But when he stands on the baseline to redirect, as he does now, that's when your opponent starts to feel it

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Nishikori seems to play the same people a lot.

Not particularly keen to see this match-up repeated. Goffin is basically just the poor man's Nishikori and the outcome is seriously NID.

·
54,859 Posts
Nishikori seems to play the same people a lot.

Not particularly keen to see this match-up repeated. Goffin is basically just the poor man's Nishikori and the outcome is seriously NID.
Yeah he played Raonic and Ferrer so often last year. More Nishikori-Nadal and Nishikori-Berdych will be fun.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Interesting, isn't it?
I agree that Gilbert nearly destructed Kei.
But LiNa saved Kei.
It's LiNa's success enlightened Kei to focus on attack, attack and attack.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I agree with this, I hate seeing Goffin play Nishikori, you could see that he doesn't believe he can win. I'd desperately love for Goffin to get into the top 10, such a beautiful game. Goffin has defter touch, but Nishikori has that power baseline game that's just a little too much for Goffin at the moment. I think this matchup works better on clay, where the pace is slightly tamed...He took Nishikori to 3 sets in Madrid after all (and it was a close tilt). But on hard this matchup is somewhat NID.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts