Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Served for it at 5-2 and 5-4 in the 2nd set. Lost 6 games on the trot.

His level didn't drop too much, Peliwo just started making everything, but unfortunately not consistent enough to keep that going into the 3rd set.

Happy for Filip. Nobody thought he was going to take a set here.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Pity.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
Should have been 61 62 but amazing fight from Peliwo to take the second set. He's got the skills just needs to get it all together on a more consistent basis.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
How good is Peliwo? This guy won two junior slams after all.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Clear that Peliwo has the skills, but also clear that he doesn't use them. Not enough intensity, laps of concentration. Still a "boys" mentality, which obviously doesn't work with the pros.

·
Registered
22,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How good is Peliwo? This guy won two junior slams after all.
I think he summed it up perfectly in his interview afterwards. When his game is working he can play against these guys. Won 6 games from Stakhovsky on the trot when Sergiy wasn't playing that bad.

He's just not nearly consistent enough, he was brutal in the first set, and early 2nd set, and not nearly good enough in the 3rd.

The difference at the top level of the game is consistency, and that's what Peliwo needs to improve upon, that top game of his has to show up way more often if he even expects to get to this level. He's got a long way to go.

One thing that was common in those junior slams, and finals he had, he came back from a set and a break down a bunch iirc. You can do that in juniors, doesn't work consistently in the pros, if you're not there for the start, you're making it extremely difficult on yourself.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
This looked like an challenger match to me. Peliwo dragging that left hand over on his backhand on lower shorter balls to smother then into the bottom of the net was not pretty to watch.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I've seen Peliwo play quite a bit in the past two years and I just don't believe he has what it takes to be a top player consistently. Two years ago I thought it may just be his age/size holding him back, but he hasn't progressed at all since then. He played a few good games there in the second set, but he doesn't have the ability to keep it together against a top 100 opponent for more than a set from what I have seen.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Peliwo is a great serve returner. He has the tools, just has to be more patient out there.

Can't wait to see him in a few weeks at the local futures! Hopefully we don't get drug tested together again this time around :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
I think it's Peliwo's serve that's holding him back more than anything. Especially that second serve, he obviously can't find a good rhythm on it.

But he definitely done a good job man-sculpting himself ;)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I LOVE Filip but I just don't see it for him :sad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts