Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If every week was Montreal/Toronto qualies Schnur would be top 100.

Plays Lu next for a spot in the main draw.

He was down a break *4-3 in the first set before reeling on 3 straight, including 2 breaks, and then won 4 of the next 5 as well to take a 4-1 lead in the 2nd. Had a bp in the only game he lost, could have been 8 games in a row.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,411 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
Well done Schunrr. Qualifying is a possibility!

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
he was 7 to 1 on betfair, and 24 to 1 to win 2-0
never seen him play but didnt see this coming despite ruben playing like sub 500 these year

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bester absolutely deserved the WC. He's been better than all the Canadians the last little while, except Raonic and Pospisil. I'm not surprised they didn't want to throw Polansky in there right away since he only just came back a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
24,789 Posts
^ But Polansky's 1st match back was a big win over Becker, Bester only played well very recently in Granby CH, other than that he should be in qualys, Polansky is the much more consistent player and has a very good history in Canada, he had to play qualys last year and got some big wins, he and Schnur fully deserved the MD WC's over Peliwo and Bester. You want to talk about being thrown to the wolves, that what they just did with Peliwo.

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and Bester beat Lacko the 2 seed in that round. Polansky backed up his win with a loss to Quigley, while Bester made the final.

Polansky has gotten lots of WC's for his consistency over the years, but he was injured for a long time lately, coming back and throwing you into the fire against top 50, top 20 players isn't really fair to Polansky either. He's never going to be at that level just a couple weeks back from a long injury layoff.

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ Well Peliwo isn't even at Peter's level right now, so going by that Peter should have one instead.
I didn't saw Peliwo deserved one over Polansky, but Bester certainly did.

and I do get what TC was thinking. Rewarding Peliwo for playing this past Davis Cup tie when he was needed, while giving Polansky some match practice closer to his current level since he was coming back from injury.

Clearly Polansky is better than Peliwo right now though, but other factors go into the decision.

·
Registered
24,789 Posts
^ So what if Peliwo "played" DC, it's clear he should not be anywhere near DC, Polansky and Bester were better choices no doubt, but TC won't give them that chance, esp. Polansky for some reason, they have shafted him so many times.

Polansky is quite comparable to Bester, he's been better than Bester for pretty much their whole careers, so it's really not that good of an argument.

The only factors that matter are player relevancy and quality, I mean you just made an argument that Bester right now is better quality than Polansky, but it totally falls apart when you compare him to Peliwo. The factors that matter to me are overall quality and how they performed last year in Canada, if they qualified for the MD last year they should get WC's the next year, which Schnur and Peter did, like Peliwo really doesn't need the WC to again have it go to his head, and kill his confidence even more or is it more a last ditch effort to give him one more chance, I mean Blanco bailed on him, so it looks like a lost cause to me.

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't say I agreed with the damn decision I said I understand why they did it. I wasn't arguing for Peliwo in favour of Polansky I was explaining it to you. Learn how to read things properly.

You just like to argue for the sake of arguing, and you end up arguing against yourself :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts