Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pospisil dominating off the forehand wing.

Transitioning to another heavy hitting big serving big, really finding his game at an advanced age like Struff did.

Posp has a bit more speed / defense and mix to his game, but a bit less power accuracy.

Goffin too passive. Can't just rely on general superior ballstriking/rallying, need to do a bit more with your groundstrokes. He played some good stuff, served for the match, was broken twice straight. Goff a little shaky, Posp did his thing though.

Pospisil meanwhile has won 6 of his last 8 matches against top 20 opponents.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
there are no words to describe how stupid goffin is. he had no business losing that one and certainly not the way he did. as is typical for him he got close to the finish line and collapsed. getting tiring

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
So thrilled!
Vasek's game is better than it's ever been, last fall was no fluke, he is continuing on his rampage.
He can hang in the long rallies now, though there's still room for improvement in fitness.
But very solid. Came back from being broken, did not choke in the end.

Is all this due to frank Dancevic? Some of it? There's a story there, i want to know more.\
Vasek was speaking French in the post match interview. Mon dieu!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Wow I actually turned this off when goffin broke at 4-4. All third set I was expecting him to break and just assumed he'd serve it out.

What a win and week for Vasek. Huge chance of his first singles title with this form.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
Other than maybe the win over a #1 Murray (who was less than his best) and perhaps the wins on the Wimbledon run to the QFs he had, this might have been the best win of Pospisil's career. It's only his sixth win over a top 10 guy, but it was also in a SF (which is a stage he has struggled with greatly in the past). In terms of level, it was quite high throughout as well.

Monfils is clearly the favourite next round, but with Gael's dreadful finals record and the way Vasek is playing, there's a real shot here for his first title of his career.

·
Registered
128 Posts
So happy for vasek! Always loved his game and personality so I'm happy he's finding success in his comeback. Hope he can stay healthy because he's playing some great tennis. Goffin was just too passive once he served for the match, mix of him letting his foot off the gas and pospisil stepping up his game.
Really hope the adorable Canadian can win his first title tomorrow

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
So thrilled!
Vasek's game is better than it's ever been, last fall was no fluke, he is continuing on his rampage.
He can hang in the long rallies now, though there's still room for improvement in fitness.
But very solid. Came back from being broken, did not choke in the end.

Is all this due to frank Dancevic? Some of it? There's a story there, i want to know more.\
Vasek was speaking French in the post match interview. Mon dieu!
It's largely due to him playing pain free for the first time since 2014 after the back surgery (he's said so recently).

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Credit to Vasek Pospisil, he was the better player in the first set. And at the start of the second set, David saved 3 break points, and from that moment on, the momentum changed, and David was slightly better, it seemed he was going to win when he made a crucial break at 4-4 in the third but came back to his antics, was way too passive when he served for the match and was just expecting Vasek to give him the match. Frankly speaking, I really don't know what David is doing in the top10. Hopefully Vasek can win tomorrow but Monfils will be the favourite and won't give breaks away like David did today.

·
Registered
384 Posts
What an incredible comeback by Pospisil from the brink of defeat. Amazing performance and a much-deserved victory! This is his 1st ATP final in over 5 and a half years...feels like it's been forever. Now go & get the title!

Btw, there was a BIG missed call earlier in the 3rd set when Vasek had his 3rd chance to break, when Goffin's 1st serve that Vasek missed long turned out to be OUT on TV video review. But no out call was made by linesperson or umpire and surprisingly Vasek didn't challenge either. This could have cost him the entire match, but thankfully he still found a way to get through.

Still, why should players have to worry about making or challenging calls at the pro level? Just another scenario that goes to show why tennis needs to get rid of linespeople and have automatic calls through technology like in Next Gen finals.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Didn't have time to watch most of the match. Shame seems I missed a great one. Obviously I was cheering for Goffin but gotta say i am really happy for Pospisil. I have been a passive fan ever since his run in Montreal in 2014, insane how he was just one tiebreak away from a masters final. He seemed like he was heading for a solid top 10 career, shame about his various back issues. His game is so much more attractive than his ballbashing and servebottin compatriots. He moves and hits so extremely gracefully for a man of his height. Most talented Canadian on tour. Hopefully he can have stay healthy for a few years and be consistently competitive on the tour.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Told you Vasek was on a mission here

1 - 20 of 33 Posts